Comments re:HAL and Disabled Cruisers from another thread.....

sail7seas

We are a little puzzled why the OP decided to start this thread here rather then on the HA blog (where she is quite active). Not sure of all the issues regarding handicapped (are we allowed to use this term in the PC era?) but we have noticed that the layout of the Lido buffet on most HA ships does not leave a lot of space for wheelchairs or scooters to maneuver. Have no idea about the handicapped cabins on HA since we have no need for these facilities.

Hank

It's called hijacking...EXACTLY what the OP said she WASN'T going to do!:eek:

The part about this whole deal that I LOVE is the previous thread OP FOLLOWED this OP!!!:D:D

Now back to Whether or Not HAL is Accessible, now apparently available on SEVERAL CHANNELS! Check your local listings...:p

The quote I started this thread with was made on this forum, not the HAL Board.

The poster who made that post was here at the time I started this thread.

My question was directed to that quote and hoped that poster would respond.

Why would I not ask the question here? :confused:

I'm not 'getting it' what the problem seems to be. It's going straight over my head. Sorry. :o

The quote I started this thread with was made on this forum, not the HAL Board.

The poster who made that post was here at the time I started this thread.

My question was directed to that quote and hoped that poster would respond.

Why would I not ask the question here? :confused:

I'm not 'getting it' what the problem seems to be. It's going straight over my head. Sorry. :o

I'm with you sail. I totally got that you didn't want to hijack the original thread and started a new one to ask a question about something someone said on it.

I don't see that quoting that post and starting a new thread with it is "hijacking" it.

Just want to agree that cruising is a business. Older and physically challenged people often can afford cruises -- long ones! And, HAL is one of the senior friendly cruise lines. One of the largest segments of the population is "Baby Boomers". Some are or will be physically challenged and some are not. Baby Boomers will be taking a heck of a lot of cruises over the next 10-20 years -- not $500/week cruises but cruises that can run several thousands of dollars.

I am an active baby boomer with 19 cruises since 2004 (and counting):) If we (as a group) are not treated well, we will be happy to take our money elsewhere!

Thank you, Shmoo.

I think the problem is defining hijack.

I think of hijack as steering a thread away from the original OP.

I think those who have an issue with my starting this thread MAY be defining hijack as taking from one thread and bringing the content to a separate, new, different thread.

I'm not sure but cannot imagine what else is the difference in how to view my post.

No worries S7S...

You did exactly as a reasonable person would do who wished further clarification. Not sure what the big deal is myself....people just being miserable, I guess.

I find issues of accessibility interesting, in that I'm shown once again to be grateful for my mobility. We take "getting around easily" for granted.....a little empathy for those who can't goes a long way.

It's called hijacking...EXACTLY what the OP said she WASN'T going to do!:eek:

The part about this whole deal that I LOVE is the previous thread OP FOLLOWED this OP!!!:D:D

Now back to Whether or Not HAL is Accessible, now apparently available on SEVERAL CHANNELS! Check your local listings...:p

Actually not hijacking. Chill out.

Do not get me wrong, we think its a great topic. But just thinking since it relates to HA it might get more relevant comments on that board. When it comes to handicapped on ships (we are now talking generically on any cruise line) our personal issue has to do with scooters and some wild drivers. DW and I work hard to not become handicapped and would hate to be severely damaged by a scooter. We have seen too many of those things operated on cruise ships by folks who seem to have a mind set to put others in scooters!

Hank

From a dictionary:

"When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread."

This clearly was not a hijacking! Glad the OP opened a discussion. Helps everyone have an understanding of another point of view.

From a dictionary:

"When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread."

This clearly was not a hijacking! Glad the OP opened a discussion. Helps everyone have an understanding of another point of view.

Thank you, RVSullivan. :)

ok, so now that's out of the way....I have a question for ya'll.

What can/should be done to accommodate an aging population? I understand that some lines tend to have an older crowd (HAL and Celebrity come to mind), whereas some tend to have a much younger set (Carnival and Disney). BUT any ship can have passengers with mobility issues. In that light, how about we do some brainstorming and see if we can come up with some ideas and forward them on to respective corporate offices?

Please understand that while some ideas may be great ideas, they might not be financially viable.....ex, making all cabins suite size (over the top yes, but trying to make a point). A while ago it was stated that there was not enough room to maneuver in the buffet areas. That might be a good place to start! Maybe they should have a designated area for people with mobility issues.....not unlike handicapped parking. A little extra space so you can maneuver without bumping into tables and/or people. Maybe a similar area of the MDR where the tables aren't so smunched together?

What else would you like to see?

Archived