New to Oceania--Two Questions

Twocoasts

Sorry, but I don't know what is meant by cattle calls?

It is when a "special" is offered and there are so many people that gather to get the special that it looks like a herd of cattle. We saw this in Martini's during happy hour. A mass of people squeezed in the lounge.:)

On a more serious note, I'm sure that the size difference has to do with Oceania wanting Martini's to be the go-to place for....well....Martini's. Personally I don't care why, as long as they are as good as they are.

Then again, I'm an old school type, who likes his Martini's wry as well as dry:

JimandStan,

You just had to go and direct me to a YouTube channel featuring Elaine Stritch, now I will be up late and I have to get up early for work!

Besides that, does Martini's serve Manhattan's in the larger size? That is my partner's drink and I don't want to hear him complain about the drink size when we are on our first Oceania Cruise in October.

Thanks, Mark

JimandStan,

You just had to go and direct me to a YouTube channel featuring Elaine Stritch, now I will be up late and I have to get up early for work!

Besides that, does Martini's serve Manhattan's in the larger size? That is my partner's drink and I don't want to hear him complain about the drink size when we are on our first Oceania Cruise in October.

Thanks, Mark

Mark-

Stan enjoys the occasional Manhattan, but only Makers Mark, and says that Martini's serves an exceptionally good one

Marina-Martinis.jpg

Actually, Martini's is the Bar for serious drinkers of any stripe, but do give it a miss during the pre-dinner happy hour as the bargain seekers are out in force then.

oClass-Martinis.jpg

Before five, and just about any time after dinner, it is a relaxing, sophisticated lounge, where a pianist tinkles delightfully in the background.

Very much like the King Cole Bar at a St. Regis.

Cattle calls on large ships means an announcement over the PA for activities or drink specials where a thousand people run to the activity. It's misery.

Thanks for the explanation !

Now all I will have to decide when I hear an announcement is whether to stay where I am or run in the opposite direction.

icon7.gif

It is when a "special" is offered and there are so many people that gather to get the special that it looks like a herd of cattle. We saw this in Martini's during happy hour. A mass of people squeezed in the lounge.:)

Travelcat2: Thanks for your explanation also !icon7.gif

Happy Hour times and locations, plus "Cocktails of the Day", are listed in the daily "Currents" delivered to your room.

Here's an example from Regatta this past June:

"Happy Hour: Horizons & Martinis 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM. Applies only to beverages listed on the Bar Menu and excludes the Martinis Bar menu. Single Malt Scotches, Cocktail of the Day, and XOs."

"Cocktails of the Day $5.00 each:

Manhattan (Bourbon, Sweet vermouth)

Bloody Mary (Vodka, Tomato Juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire, Salt, Pepper)

Godfather (Scotch, Amaretto)"

What you failed to realize (probably because you were drinking doubles) is that not every Martini on Oceania is created equal.

005802.jpg

The Martini's in Martini's are served in larger glasses and contain a more generous pour, on top of which they almost always leave the rest of the Shaker as back up.

If you need a larger Martini than that, you must want to swim in it. :rolleyes:

So I have two Riviera cruises booked for 2014. When will we sail together again?

REmember this is O, there is no happy hour announcement

So....therefore the happy hours are a more pleasant relaxed experience?

Our first O cruise is upcoming. Should we go to happy hours or stay far away?

So....therefore the happy hours are a more pleasant relaxed experience?

Our first O cruise is upcoming. Should we go to happy hours or stay far away?

It will depend on the other passengers onboard your cruise how busy it is

We have not been on O since the drink packages but before that most of the bars were not too busy during happy hour

Some people will stop for happy hour before changing for dinner

So if relaxed conversation is your thing just go and enjoy

It is not a drinking fest as some here suggest

Lyn

Mark-

Stan enjoys the occasional Manhattan, but only Makers Mark, and says that Martini's serves an exceptionally good one

Actually, Martini's is the Bar for serious drinkers of any stripe, but do give it a miss during the pre-dinner happy hour as the bargain seekers are out in force then.

Before five, and just about any time after dinner, it is a relaxing, sophisticated lounge, where a pianist tinkles delightfully in the background.

Very much like the King Cole Bar at a St. Regis.

Jim, thanks for the pictures of Martini's, looking forward to ordering our first drinks there on Oct 11th.

Do you think the happy hour crowd thins out at 7 so we can enjoy drinks before dinner? We go to dinner between 8 and 8:30 on a cruise. Our previous cruises have been on Celebrity and we always spend a good hour or more at the Martini Bar before dinner.

Thanks, Mark

Jim, thanks for the pictures of Martini's, looking forward to ordering our first drinks there on Oct 11th.

Do you think the happy hour crowd thins out at 7 so we can enjoy drinks before dinner? We go to dinner between 8 and 8:30 on a cruise. Our previous cruises have been on Celebrity and we always spend a good hour or more at the Martini Bar before dinner.

Thanks, Mark

Happy Hour usually runs from 5-6PM however that does not mean people get up and rush off just because of that

The new drink packages people may linger longer or they may also like to enjoy a drink or two before THEIR 8pm dinner

Just go & enjoy

It will depend on the other passengers onboard your cruise how busy it is

We have not been on O since the drink packages but before that most of the bars were not too busy during happy hour

Some people will stop for happy hour before changing for dinner

So if relaxed conversation is your thing just go and enjoy

It is not a drinking fest as some here suggest

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn. I guess we will find out soon enough!

Archived