Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

I checked with Ian, the travel advisor, and he said Dr. Cooper would leave the ship in New York and would not be aboard for the trip to Quebec/back.

Dave

Aww too bad - thank you for taking the time to ask. very kind of you! Thoroughly enjoy your review!

Sunday, September 8, 2013, St. John’s, Newfoundland

The day broke with sunshine. There are a few clouds about, but mostly it is sunny. We still have a pretty strong headwind, but the Captain must have put on some speed overnight as we are nearing Newfoundland, and should be in near to on schedule. The forecast for St. John’s is partly cloudy and 70 F, about 21 C. I hope it holds, as we have a walking tour scheduled shortly after we arrive.

There are lots of things happening today, including narration of the approach, with the possibility of opening the bow deck. I plan to be out on deck as we approach, since the entry into St. John’s is one of the most impressive I’ve encountered.

Here are the photos of today’s program:

8Sep13_program_1.JPG

More later,

Dave

Please post some pictures of your entry to St. John's. As I am sure you remember, our 09 Eurodam crossing did not make St. John's due to the hurricane and we were so disappointed.

I have viewed the narrows many times from the top of Signal Hill and the thought of actually seeing the view from a shipboard perspective was so exciting, but it didn't happen. At that time getting in would not have been a problem. The captain was worried about getting out the next day. It is a very unique and well sheltered harbour.

Edited by sapper1

Can someone explain to me why on the dinner menu the main part of the dinner is sometimes called "main course" en sometimes "entree", like on the Le Cirque diner menu. To me the main part is always the main course , and the starter is always the "entree". This is how we define these parts of the meal in Europe.

I've never heard of the entree being the starter although the meaning of the word entree would make that sensible. In the US the entree is always the main course. The 'starter' course is the appetizer and often a salad course. Evidently that is the terminology HAL uses. So do all the other cruise lines I have been on: Celebrity, Oceania, Radisson (now Regent), RCI, CCL, and NCL. I imagine Princess does it that way too.

OP Dave, thanks again for your wonderful review and all the fantastic photos.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks so much, Dave, for your continued reporting. Have a splendid day today! Will be looking forward to photos of St. John's - home of some of our esteemed CC friends here! :)

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador

vs

Saint John, New Brunswick;)

Sun., Sept. 8, 2013, St. John’s (Cont.)

We sailed through sunny skies this morning, until about 10, when we entered a heavy fog bank. By about 11:20, I could see from the scan chart that we were within a few miles of St.. John’s, but I could not see any land, just fog.

Then, suddenly, the land appeared to starboard, and we picked up the pilot. We then sailed into St. John’s, under overcast skies, but clear air. So, I was able to get many shots (some of them even in focus) as we entered:

Approaching St. John’s 1:

Approaching_St_John_s_1.JPG

Approaching St. John’s 2:

Approaching_St_John_s_2.JPG

Signal Hill:

Signal_Hill.JPG

Birds and people on Signal Hill 1:

Birds_and_people_on_Signal_Hill_1.JPG

Birds and people on Signal Hill 2:

Birds_and_people_on_Signal_Hill_2.JPG

People on Signal Hill:

People_on_Signal_Hill.JPG

More in the next post,

Dave

Sun., Sept. 8, 2013, St. John’s (Cont.)

More shots of the entry into St. John’s, and the port guide pages:

Base of Signal Hill:

Base_of_Signal_Hill.JPG

Panorama of St. John’s:

Panorama_of_St_John_s.JPG

St. John’s waterfront:

St_John_s_waterfront.JPG

Colorful houses St. John’s 1:

Colorful_houses_St_John_s.JPG

St. John’s port guide 1:

St_John_s_port_guide_1.JPG

St. John’s port guide 2:

St_John_s_port_guide_2.JPG

More later,

Dave

I am reading this blog on a new iPad and all the photos are ads by photobucket asking me to upgrade for more bandwidth. No one else seems be having any problem viewing them. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Dave has posted several times the number of page views caused the pm to go over allocated bandwidth so he switched hosting services.