Who is Norwegians Best Cruise Director?

AL25

I had to google that name because it sounded familiar.

He was the "comedian" on our Dawn repo Tampa>Boston last April. I didn't really know he was a permanent fixture on NCL.

Personally I thought he sucked as a comedian. His entire stage show consisted of him making fun of people in the audience. That's all he did when he put on some kind of Wizard of Oz stage play using members of the audience.

Then a day or two later he was a judge for one of the shows down in the Spinaker. (Dancing with the Stars?...something like that.) Again, all he did was make fun of people. And it was grade-school quality too. Like making fun of a guys shirt, "Where'd you get the shirt? The Salvation Army?" Some people chuckled. Everybody else shook their heads in disbelief at how amateurish this guy really is. By the end of the night he pretty much gave up trying to be funny because I think he sensed how awkward it was.

That kind of comedy gets old, real fast. George Carlin always said that using the audience to get all the laughs is a sign of a guy who knows he has no decent material.

Anyways, I seen him eating alone in the back corner of the buffet a couple days later. I thought that was funny.

Isn't that Simon Cowell's job on any show he does, produce, act's in, etc...??

Still people adore him and he signs very lucrative contracts with the networks ;)

I meet him ( Tim ), on our second day of our last cruise, at the martini bar... we exchanged for a few minutes...went to see the show :p and every time I went pass him on the ship he was the first to say " hey there Canadian friend, how are you today "

I liked him.

He or she is :

Funny +1

Not on the PA more then required +1

Accessible +1

Able to get the crowd going even in a boring activity :p +1

Able to remember me from last cruise +3

Able to make my GF participate in a game :D +2

Looks pretentious -2

Screams in the PA system -2

Doesn't participate in the silliest games -1

is boring -1

I really enjoyed Sinan on my latest cruise, I hope he will be fine and comes back with Ncl:(

Gary Gladding (buy his book!) from the Jade and Simon Murray - from a long time ago on the Pearl - I don't know which ship he is on presently.

Gary is the most personable CD I've ever experienced...very warm, extremely talented and just terrific overall! :)

I'm kind of surprised with all the name-dropping. I've been on numerous cruises and have not even met the Cruise Director. Where do you meet them and find out their life story. ;) I feel like I'm missing something. :p

Where else Onboard the ship. These people become friends and part of the extended family

Suzanne

Sorry to be reading that Sinan left NCL? We have been on 13 cruises on 4 lines and he is the only CD I remember by name. Know it was only a few months ago, but me with a rotten memory for names can remember his odd. Must have been that special AM song "You are my sunshine". What a nice young man quick to smile and say hello (not forced either). Shame on NCL if they let him go. Good for him if he moved on to other things.

Sorry to be reading that Sinan left NCL? We have been on 13 cruises on 4 lines and he is the only CD I remember by name. Know it was only a few months ago, but me with a rotten memory for names can remember his odd. Must have been that special AM song "You are my sunshine". What a nice young man quick to smile and say hello (not forced either). Shame on NCL if they let him go. Good for him if he moved on to other things.

Sinan did not leave. He had a death in family and now home on leave trying to get back to a new normal.

Suzanne

Jon from Australia was hands down the best Cruise Director! We are sad that he is no longer cruising with NCL and we've yet to find a Cruise Director that compares. We thought Richard, Kyle, and Dan were very dull and boring in comparison. Our favorite Assistant Cruise Director was Gio, who we would love to cruise with again. (Heard he got promoted!)

I'm kind of surprised with all the name-dropping. I've been on numerous cruises and have not even met the Cruise Director. Where do you meet them and find out their life story. ;) I feel like I'm missing something. :p

Just because some of us get to know cruise directors and remember them, we are "name droppers"? That seems a little mean spirited.

Some have become real friends.

Edited by Beaver1975

I have to say that I'm one of those that don't "pay attention" to the CD or anyone else on board that is staff (I mean other than to say hello and thank you and so on). It does not make or break a cruise for me (who's going to be the CD on a ship). I just happen to run across one or two of them that were extremely friendly and would come up and talk to you all the time and you get to know them. Then you see them everywhere and hear them everywhere and you notice they are the CD. Not all CD's are like this. Then you have the CD's that come to the partys and they really know how to "pump up" the crowd and get them excited. It just makes for a better time during that event. I have seen CD's that you could tell they absolutely LOVE their job and others that you can tell "it's just a job". :)

Just because some of us get to know cruise directors and remember them, we are "name droppers"? That seems a little mean spirited.

Some have become real friends.

I don't know your interpretation of name droppers but in my view, that phrase does not necessarily have a negative connotation. However, after looking it up, I see the way the word is used in regular vernacular and I did not mean it in a negative way at all.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I have to say that I'm one of those that don't "pay attention" to the CD or anyone else on board that is staff (I mean other than to say hello and thank you and so on). It does not make or break a cruise for me (who's going to be the CD on a ship). I just happen to run across one or two of them that were extremely friendly and would come up and talk to you all the time and you get to know them. Then you see them everywhere and hear them everywhere and you notice they are the CD. Not all CD's are like this. Then you have the CD's that come to the partys and they really know how to "pump up" the crowd and get them excited. It just makes for a better time during that event. I have seen CD's that you could tell they absolutely LOVE their job and others that you can tell "it's just a job". :)

How do you know they are CD's. Do they announce it or can you tell by their tag? I'm just curious. I guess we didn't run into many because DH and I were always involved in doing couple's things and didn't participate so much in the parties and game shows. We probably will on the Epic so I was just curious how on a ship of 4500 people one can pick out a cruise director among the masses. :o Thank you for your explanation. :)

Edited by cruisecritiquer

How do you know they are CD's. Do they announce it or can you tell by their tag? I'm just curious. I guess we didn't run into many because DH and I were always involved in doing couple's things and didn't participate so much in the parties and game shows. We probably will on the Epic so I was just curious how on a ship of 4500 people one can pick out a cruise director among the masses. :o Thank you for your explanation. :)

I have to admit to being very much like yourself.........I had no idea what a CD even WAS, till I came here on CC! :o

It was on here that I read about Gary Glading and we were fortunate enough to meet him on the Jade recently. I wouldn't have known him, only he introduced himself to us and I checked out his name badge! What a lovely man he was too......saw him lots all over the ship.

On 2 previous cruises.....including the Epic.......I would have had NO idea who the CD was!

How do you know they are CD's. Do they announce it or can you tell by their tag? I'm just curious.

If you join the roll call for your cruise, you will be invited to a Meet and Greet hosted by the ship. There you will meet many from the crew. The Cruise Director will more than likely be the host of the gathering.

If you join the roll call for your cruise, you will be invited to a Meet and Greet hosted by the ship. There you will meet many from the crew. The Cruise Director will more than likely be the host of the gathering.

This is how we knew who Sinan was and yes we ran into him throughout the cruise. But noticed he spoke to everybody as he moved about the ship.

Suzanne, Thank you for telling me he didn't leave NCL. Sorry to hear he is on bereavment leave, that stinks. Hope we sail with him again, normally the often forced announcement cheer is over looked. Sinan made the announcments funny, generally after the first sea day I don't even listen.

• 3 months later...