Special activities at Passover & Easter?

jocelysue

When you get on board, go to the guest services desk and ask. We were on the eclipse last year and they had a special Passover meal with individual sedar plates on every table. It was never announced, but there were about 200 in attendance...and everyone just asked at guest services. I bet you have a very similar experience. They also had a retired hazzan who led the short service. It was amazing...matzah ball soup, gefilte fish and even real manachevitz.

Our Passover Seder on the Infinity this year was less than stellar. It may have as much to do with the Rabbi's lack of preparation as the culinary department. She came without a Hagaddah (prayer book dedicated to this specific holiday) and the chef managed to find one box of matzo "crackers" for the entire group. She did not verify the necessary symbols before the sailing according to the chef and did not offer advice for the order of the service or menu. The chef said that the matzo and other symbols needed were not brought onboard in Valparaiso and the Rabbi never inquired until 15 minutes after the service was to have begun. (The conversation between the Rabbi and Chef took place within two feet of my seat.)

On the other hand, we were sailing with friends of the Catholic faith you were overjoyed with their services for Good Friday and Easter Sunday. They felt the services were well planned, enriching and well attended.

There were announcements made in the daily.

We signed up for the Seder before the cruise through guest services.

Having had another less than wonderful experience involving Jewish observances onboard we will no longer sail during the most important holy days.

I'm surprised that the Infinity did not organize this holiday with the rabbi. I have been the guest of a rabbi who is sometimes placed on holiday cruises, and she always meets with the chef, food and bev manager, etc., coordinated by the Activities Manager. On your cruise, there should have been plenty of time for this pre-planning.

Clergy placed on ships don't always know what to expect in the way of Haggadot, siddurim, etc. They are not given an opportunity to communicate with activities or other staff before the cruise. In the past, Celebrity tried to keep siddurim and Haggadot available on all the ships, but with the turnover in Activities Managers, these items sometimes cannot be found when the time comes. A few years ago, I had a most enjoyable Panama Canal seder on the Infinity. Lacking Haggadot after being told they were aboard, the rabbi made a flip chart that conveyed all the basic information, and the 50 or so guests added in their own favorite bits. It's always fascinating to see the congregation that gathers - from many countries, several languages, yet joining together in the singiing.

This year, on the Solstice somewhere in the Tasmanian Sea, 60 people gathered, made it work to have one haggadah per table, and enjoyed a festive and quite beautiful meal with wine provided. Each table had a seder plate with the traditional components, reflecting ship staff's best effort to honor a tradition with which they are not familiar. (The most difficult component to convey seems to be haroset.)

yes, about matzo: This can be a problem. Even if they have, say, one box for the seder, the ship often does not have matzo available for the remaining days of the holiday. But on the whole, I'd say Celebrity does a really good job on the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been on many holiday cruises. On one cruise on the Horizon, we sat at a table with a priest. It was Easter. He conducted services. He was a really terrific guy. It was also Passover. There was also a rabbi. We had matzoh on our table at every meal. We attended services. We were invited to a seder held by the security staff on the ship. Complete service with a very nice dinner. Both holidays were celebrated well on the ship. Horizon is not in Celebrity's fleet. Ask before you sail.

Archived