Booking onboard... is there a formal policy?

computerworks

I have been trying to research the pros and cons of onboard booking. (vs. the YWOS promo that ends 8/31)

I have read a lot of threads here on the onboard topic, but failed to walk away with a definitive policy. Is there one on Oceania's website?

It seems like there are inconsistencies in what people have experienced.... almost seems like the Onboard Rep can 'rock and roll' a bit with the process on a case by case basis.

Thanks for any clear definitions of policy.

There have been inconsistencies, not because the Oceania Policy is not definitive, but because the process is ever evolving.

When all is said and done, these are promotional savings that you refer to, and Oceania reserves the right to extend and amend them in proportion to the sailings which they do and don't wish to promote.

Frankly, I believe that another part of that promotional strategy lies in NOT spelling out the exact terms in advance. It gives the onboard booking experience an immediacy which it otherwise wouldn't have, and people who are swept up in the excitement of their present cruise are apt to throw caution to the winds more easily.

Is this a small discount benefit similar to that offered by Regent? Do you have 30 days to book after your return, again similar to Regent?

I think you're referring to the $200 voucher that is sent to you and which you have to use (book) within 30 days after your cruise.

What's being discussed above is the discount for booking while on board. On board, the "Oceania Ambassador" (i.e., onboard salesperson) has brochures on sailings with additional discounts if booked onboard (slower selling sailings usually have a better discount). There used to be a general 5% off any other sailing not in the brochure but that seems to have ended?

So the discounts are different, and given the price of O's cruises, the % discount on board (provided the cruise you want is available to be booked at the discount) is usually better than the $200 discount voucher given after the cruise.

I think you're referring to the $200 voucher that is sent to you and which you have to use (book) within 30 days after your cruise.

What's being discussed above is the discount for booking while on board. On board, the "Oceania Ambassador" (i.e., onboard salesperson) has brochures on sailings with additional discounts if booked onboard (slower selling sailings usually have a better discount). There used to be a general 5% off any other sailing not in the brochure but that seems to have ended?

So the discounts are different, and given the price of O's cruises, the % discount on board (provided the cruise you want is available to be booked at the discount) is usually better than the $200 discount voucher given after the cruise.

On Regent these two are the same.

..taken from a recent post on another thread:

...When one considers it in conjunction with the revision in the on board booking experience; 5% discount to a sliding scale,

Is the 5% a standard discount? ..or was it a standard discount?

What is the "sliding scale" now? Any recent experiences?

until about a year ago, on board booking was 5% off the quoted rate on any sailing for any room.

Then there was a specified discount on selected cruises, not including inside staterooms.

And now specific discounts on virtually all cruises-no insides.

This changes rapidly, I'm guessing based on sales. Then there are the specials as announced. Note that some mailing exclude airfares.

Hope this helps

Thanks.. it really does.

I am trying to quantify the best move for an upcoming cruise that is part of the YWOS promo (ends Saturday)...

...to see if it is better to wait on book onboard, foregoing the promo items...or grab the extras now.

Thanks.. it really does.

I am trying to quantify the best move for an upcoming cruise that is part of the YWOS promo (ends Saturday)...

...to see if it is better to wait on book onboard, foregoing the promo items...or grab the extras now.

I suggest you grab the extras now..they are much better than on board booking usually is..

Jancruz1

If you book now and there is still availability for your cabin on your new cruise, you club ambassador can get you the on board discount then.

enjoy

That would be nice but YWOS is not able to be combined with any on board discount..

Jancruz1

Archived