Star Princess 8/17 Alaska Review

jlstwinmommy

So while we were all hiking, all the non-hikers in the group took the White Rail Pass train. They booked through the cruiseline, but honestly, after seeing their train and the ones that left in town, I would buy the tickets once you got there. I think the price is the same, but the trains leaving from town were practically empty while the ones leaving from the pier next to the ship were jam packed full.

428495777_Alaska410.jpg.200b9f61b2370139e77ae7289f8057ba.jpg

Train2.jpg.a927a4faca9a3133ef77521a0cf90279.jpg

Train4.jpg.ba6ce8fb1e79a9175dedaff0c7aca081.jpg

Train1.jpg.9dc4e94af8f0401d2e0e6bc0571f093d.jpg

Train5.jpg.d7aebbc4171d557797c69b41e92fc2bf.jpg

The next day was Glacier Bay. What can you say about that except wow. What an amazing place. There was a naturalist on board that we picked up around 6:30am. They said peak viewing was from 9am - noon and then around 2 to see orca whales on our way out of the bay. After eating an early breakfast (first ones in Sabatini's that morning), we went up to deck 14 for a while and to the front of the ship above the bridge. It was quite busy up there. We stayed there for a while and then spent most of the rest of the day going back and forth between our suite and my parent's suite. The views were amazing.

We did see a calving right in front of our cabin. I had the camera around my neck at the time. I was so entranced by the view that I totally forgot about pictures until DH yelled at me. :p I did catch a shot of the splash after the calving. :rolleyes:

1995040942_Alaska429.jpg.bf66f0d360eaa007ac7a220c14a9ac8c.jpg

1903494785_Alaska430.jpg.0d5babf9a06123cd42f26f9ceda2a3f1.jpg

1018176831_Alaska431.jpg.aa4fc091d54c7867255f062684a4cc85.jpg

1798599277_Alaska443.jpg.b94a7142756957c29caf8458df7f4153.jpg

1911992560_Alaska455.jpg.2f69d410cf92f49db0a276aabb78ff3f.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the cabin, but my mom uploaded her pictures yesterday (we are getting a photo book made of the trip) and she has a few. Here they are. I also included my only picture that shows balcony furniture which is MIL enjoying the lounger. ;)

Thank you!!!! I was hoping they still had those nice wooden loungers out there. I'm so looking forward to sitting out there.

After Glacier Bay, the next stop was Ketchikan. I wish we had more time in this town. We had planned on mostly just shopping, but after a trip to the visitor center, decided to take a $30 trolley tour with our last hope to see a bear. They also did have some flight bear seeing tours available, but I didn't want to spend another $300 per person for this. As I said before, if we ever get a chance to do this again, I would do the bear watch here.

The trolley tour was nice. Probably expensive for what it is. It was basically 1 1/2 hours of a quick tour through town, a stop outside of where the Saxman totem poles are, a quick stop at a tidal pool, and then a stop by Herring Cove in the hope of seeing a bear. Fortunately, we did see one black bear hanging by the stream, looking for salmon. We were farther than I would have liked, but we did get to see the bear, so hard to complain. :)

We then went back into town, took a walk on Creek Street (where we saw their resident seal that apprently lives in the creek there), then did some shopping in town.

The Celebrity Millenium was also in port with us. We found out why as we were walking around town. I think, since it was Thursday, most the passengers were getting their flights out of town at this point, but I did feel bad for everyone on that cruise.

958394878_Alaska541.jpg.8e45bd5264633d5a07d7ac3928a31ef0.jpg

1082795234_Alaska543.jpg.01e9cb8aeabbf704885c687e3c449a80.jpg

101875321_Alaska545.jpg.9b5afcf426d2b360d340aabeedb4daad.jpg

627254121_Alaska548.jpg.b3c4134c5ccb711b609a0248c0f885d6.jpg

Bear.jpg.8cf533fe4ca5aa8f1352ea341ca5ac89.jpg

The last day was Victoria. DH said he wished we had been there during the day and for longer (I know - a common theme on this cruise itinerary). Anyway, we decided to just walk around the port. We walked over to a park that is not too far from the port. They had a children's petting zoo (closed of course since it was after 7) and beautiful gardens with ducks, geese and peacocks wondering around loose. We wanted to walk up to the castle, but it was too far and it started to rain, so we ended up doing the suggested walking route that was given out at the visitor center at the port. It's supposed to take 50 minutes, but it took us a bit longer with MIL and us stopping to take photos. Once it started raining, we did walk more quickly back to the ship. ;)

657365792_Alaska554.jpg.38faaca459743c207361146400efc32a.jpg

1641319346_Alaska558.jpg.a322d753b98fe9a4816fcd6e186bc0f9.jpg

1891786828_Alaska560.jpg.50765e075e352fd5827b247f6fed5acb.jpg

1922389483_Alaska568.jpg.eb6835b7628b013a51bcae65ed0dfe11.jpg

One more thing in wrapping up - I had warned my kids that this would be a different type of cruise for them. There was no rock climbing wall, trampoline, flow rider, etc. I had never brought kids on Princess and wasn't sure how their kids program was. Well, I only saw DS15 at dinner and saw DS9 only slightly more than that. DD9 spent most of her time with her cousins who idolized her, so she didn't really utilize the kids program, but based on the 2 boys reactions, I would say they must have a great kids program. :D

This cruise was fantasic and everyone in our family had a great time. I would definitely cruise Princess again if the itinerary was right (MIL wants to do the Panama Canal, so who knows?) The kids lanyard and the food in Horizon court were my only criticisms on this cruise. The kids thing was dealt with and the food, well there are plenty of places to eat to avoid Horizon court. :p

I hope this review helps someone and if anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer.

Can I ask you specifically why you didn't like Horizon Court? I've have already heard lots of complaints about it and will be on this ship soon.

Also, thanks for the Juneau excursion review as we are going to do the exact same one! You calmed my fears about brown bears eating us alive, maybe they are too few to bother worrying about.

Can I ask you specifically why you didn't like Horizon Court? I've have already heard lots of complaints about it and will be on this ship soon.

Also, thanks for the Juneau excursion review as we are going to do the exact same one! You calmed my fears about brown bears eating us alive, maybe they are too few to bother worrying about.

It's hard to explain. I liked the rolls and the fried rice was pretty good, but in general, I didn't care for the offerings there. I'm used to RCL where they have a big (much bigger than the Star) salad bar with tons of offerings, roast beef every day and then maybe a chicken dish. It seemed like the food I saw was mostly oriental (which I don't care for, except the fried rice), and dishes that just didn't appeal to me. MIL ate there and it was fine for her so you may love it. I just found that there was more variety on RCL.

Definitely won't be eaten by a bear. Even if you do find one, the guide had a flare gun, a pistol, and a shotgun. They were very well prepared to ensure that no one had a bad encounter with a bear. :D

It's hard to explain. I liked the rolls and the fried rice was pretty good, but in general, I didn't care for the offerings there. I'm used to RCL where they have a big (much bigger than the Star) salad bar with tons of offerings, roast beef every day and then maybe a chicken dish. It seemed like the food I saw was mostly oriental (which I don't care for, except the fried rice), and dishes that just didn't appeal to me. MIL ate there and it was fine for her so you may love it. I just found that there was more variety on RCL.

Having sailed on many Princess ships many times, I avoid the buffet unless I have to eat very quickly. I think it is great if you like quantity over quality but I have never had anything there that stands out. Maybe some breakfast pastries are fine but for a lunch or dinner meal, it is disappointing, at best.

I really love the Star Princess, but the Horizon Court is just okay. For a quick lunch we go to the IC, the pub lunch, or I might make a salad at the HC, and then grab a slice of pizza. I'm not really a buffet kind of person and there are just too many other nicer places to grab a quick bite. The room service sandwiches are also pretty good.

Having sailed on many Princess ships many times, I avoid the buffet unless I have to eat very quickly. I think it is great if you like quantity over quality but I have never had anything there that stands out. Maybe some breakfast pastries are fine but for a lunch or dinner meal, it is disappointing, at best.

And that pretty much sums up what I found as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived