Looking at the stars

noggy1980

Hi, I've always been a bit of a geek and love space, Science and the beauty of the nights sky.

Unfortunately we live in a big city and so the sky at night permanently has an orange hue and you can only see 10 or so stars. I haven't really been anywhere in the last 10 years or so where you could really see hundreds or thousands of stars, I was hoping that will change on the cruise

I'm aware of course that the ship will be well lit which will certainly significantly hinder how much I can see but what should I expect in terms of the nights sky? and can anyone recommend the best or darkest place to sit and look up with a drink in hand on the Eclipse. I'm in a wheelchair so no where I can't get too please.

I've heard there is cheese and wine evenings under the stars, is this included in a premium drinks package? and will we be able to see alot of stars from the lawn (assuming clear skys)? or should I be expecting the ships lights to spoil it completely?

Thanks for your help

Tim

On the S-Class ships you can go up to the Solstice Deck (16) and lay down on a lawn chair and look up at the night sky. Minimal lighting to take away from the stars in the sky. The Millenium class ships also have something similar but I can't think of which deck it is.

Very peaceful up there too.

As far as the wine and cheese on the lawn, that normally takes place from 7:30-8:30 which is usually a little too early for star gazing. It's also too brightly lit. As far as the wine at the event, it is covered by either alcohol package.

Thanks Rick for the information, unfortunately I think there is no elevator up to the Solstice deck so I think I will be out of luck. I think they only go up to 15 and the solstice deck is 16

Not to worry. The stars can be seen from 15 also. If you have a room with a balcony you can also see them from there. You will get plenty of chances to see beautiful skies while out at sea

Not to worry. The stars can be seen from 15 also. If you have a room with a balcony you can also see them from there. You will get plenty of chances to see beautiful skies while out at sea

Thank you :), no balcony unfortunately, the accessible balcony cabins were all sold out they seem to go very quickly and we couldn't afford the suite, if we enjoy it though we likely to book another cruise for next year while onboard and there should still be balcony rooms left on most cruises.

We were onboard the Summit earlier this month during the Perseids. We went all the way forward on the top deck to watch. It wasn't completely dark, but we saw a few shooting stars here and there and hundreds of stars. It was a perfectly clear night. The ship lights weren't that much of a hindrance. Unfortunately, that area is only accessible via stairs, but I would think one deck lower wouldn't be all that much brighter. It just won't be as deserted.

Our next cruise on the Summit is during the Geminids. We'll be back out there again.

A couple of cruises ago, I wish I could remember the ship (though I think it was the Niew Amsterdam) there was a star gazing evening. We gathered on the top deck at 11:00 and all lights aft were turned off. The view was magnificent. Living in the city one really has no idea of the splendour of the night sky. I had my iPad Star Map with me which really enhanced the experience. I never experienced a similar viewing on the Connie or Century. Pity, really.

A couple of cruises ago, I wish I could remember the ship (though I think it was the Niew Amsterdam) there was a star gazing evening. We gathered on the top deck at 11:00 and all lights aft were turned off. The view was magnificent. Living in the city one really has no idea of the splendour of the night sky. I had my iPad Star Map with me which really enhanced the experience. I never experienced a similar viewing on the Connie or Century. Pity, really.

LOL so it was a HAL ship? Loved that ship. Love the X S Class too though :-)

All this talk makes me hope for starry skies in October on the Summit.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=EC#deck_plans/explore/ships/deckPlans.do%3FshipCode=EC

Not as good as 16, but DH uses scooter all the way forward thru the spa to spa verandah. We can go out to see the stars. Not as many people to weave through after 10 PM. He doesn't mind if I go up to 16 for a bit. There it's amazing! One of the special reasons for cruising. We do book a balcony. So close.....

Thanks again everyone, especially for the tip about the spa verandah, wouldn't have found that one on our own. I'll definitely send Andrea up to enjoy deck 16 for a bit, no need for her to miss out because of me.

On one cruise one of the officers had a star gazing seminar around midnight. It was one of the Celebrity Life programs.

We all met on the top forward deck. He had the crew turn off the lights to try for get total darkness but it was amazing at how bright it still was with the lights off. It was a very nice presentation. He had a laser pointer and pointed out the constellations and talked about navagation at night by the stars

Have been on a few cruises since and never seen it again. It would be nice if it were part of every cruise.

.:D

On one cruise one of the officers had a star gazing seminar around midnight. It was one of the Celebrity Life programs.

We all met on the top forward deck. He had the crew turn off the lights to try for get total darkness but it was amazing at how bright it still was with the lights off. It was a very nice presentation. He had a laser pointer and pointed out the constellations and talked about navagation at night by the stars

Have been on a few cruises since and never seen it again. It would be nice if it were part of every cruise.

.:D

I would love it if there were something like this on our upcoming TA.

The middle of an ocean is one of the places where you should be able to have an amazing look at the night sky -- and I mean seeing the Milky Way (but cruise ships are typically too lit up for that).

Archived