Bus or shuttle in Juneau

morriscats

We took the $30 Juneau City Tour/Mendenhall glacier bus. Wasn't worth it. We should have just used the $8 bus to the glacier. Unless seeing an empty Governor's mansion (not lived in since 1997), a big sandbar?, and a creek is worth $22 bucks, I wouldn't do it. Our bus didn't have any suspension system either (ouch!!). Doing that tour again would be the LAST thing I would do if I had the CHANCE to go back and re-do our TOURS (hint, hint).

On a side note, if the weather is nice, do a walkup ticket to the Mount Roberts tram. And the Alaskan Brewery tour wasn't exactly a "walking tour", but they were generous with the taps!

The "blue" bus, ALSO has a TOUR bus that includes an informative narrative, goes to Douglas Island for a photo stop of your ship, and a Mendenhall stop. This is operated by MGT. Their tour is about half the cost of a ship tour, and very well done. There is limited time at Mendenhall however, but you could leave the tour at that point- depending on the order, and take a shuttle bus back. The "shuttle" bus , is transportation only.

The city is certainly very walkable, if you choose to do some prior homework and get familiar with a walking tour. Heading to your library could find Alaska travel books perhaps with walking tours listed.

Hello , there is a blue bus and a white bus that offer shuttle service to Mendenhall. We did this last week and enjoyed the flexibility it gave us regarding how much time we wanted to spend at the glacier. We enjoyed the Nugget Falls trail and spectacular views. As others have pointed out, Juneau is easy to walk around. We headed straight up Franklin Street, to 4th Street and visited St. Nicholas church - wonderful Russian icons and a delightful small chapel. We then climbed a few of those steep stairs, until we reached 7th Street and the "House of Wickersham" - fantastic views of the town and harbour. The house can be toured for a donation and it is very interesting. We then headed over to Main street via 6th avenue and enjoyed the Juneau-Douglas Museum and eventually poked our way in and out of galleries until we reached the ship. It was a most enjoyable day in port!

We took the $30 Juneau City Tour/Mendenhall glacier bus. Wasn't worth it. We should have just used the $8 bus to the glacier. Unless seeing an empty Governor's mansion (not lived in since 1997), a big sandbar?, and a creek is worth $22 bucks, I wouldn't do it. Our bus didn't have any suspension system either (ouch!!). Doing that tour again would be the LAST thing I would do if I had the CHANCE to go back and re-do our TOURS (hint, hint).

On a side note, if the weather is nice, do a walkup ticket to the Mount Roberts tram. And the Alaskan Brewery tour wasn't exactly a "walking tour", but they were generous with the taps!

Not sure why you said the Governor's mansion is not lived in, as the Governors have lived there, especially when the Legislature is in session (January through April), because it is, and has been for years.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Avis and Juneau Car Rental are both in the downtown area. Walkable, with mobility limitations.

Juneau car rental has a website - they said is about a 1/4 mile to their location - got a midsize (Malibu) for $57.50 total, and they sent along an itinerary of places to visit.

Not sure why you said the Governor's mansion is not lived in, as the Governors have lived there, especially when the Legislature is in session (January through April), because it is, and has been for years.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Our driver took us by the governor's mansion. He told us that Palin and her family did indeed live there part of the year. (this was back when she was governor). There was children's play equipment out on the lawn.

Our driver took us by the governor's mansion. He told us that Palin and her family did indeed live there part of the year. (this was back when she was governor). There was children's play equipment out on the lawn.

When I was in port a couple of years ago I didn't go by but heard later that Palins daughter had set up a lemonade stand out in front of the mansion. It would have been a fantastic photo op and chance for a "caption this picture" contest :)

Archived