Quebec City Pier 103 the end of the earth!

Has anyone ever been to Pier 103 in Quebec City. Celebrity Summit is scheduled to dock there for two days on October 5 sailing. It seems to be a destination in itself. It seems to be so far away from the City! Any advice! It does not look like we can just walk into town on the spur of the moment!

It's actually not too bad.

That pier is right below the Plains of Abraham historic battlefield, and is actually where the English Navy landed 4000 men to conquer the French fort of Quebec in September of 1759.

It is however about 2.0 miles from the center Lower old town Quebec City.

There is a city bus that runs along Champlain Blvd towards Lower Old Town.

I believe it is bus #1, and it is about a 5 minute ride.

You can actually ride the #1 all the way to the Ferry Dock (Gare Fluviale) just 3-4 minutes further away, and from there you can ride the little ECOLOBUS (small electric bus) that connects Lower Town & Upper Town od Old Quebec City. BONUS...Ecolobus is FREE. It connects all the historic sites of Old Quebec City.

Fare is $3.00 (exact change)

The walk to the bus stop is maybe 500 feet.

pier_103.jpg

This is what the REGULAR BUS looks like:

bus.jpg

This is what the ECOLOBUS looks like:

ecolobus.jpg

:)

Edited by p_mori7

Well, the bad news is that you seem to have drawn the short straw as far as piers go, being 4th ship in - a pretty rare occurrence. However, as p_mori7 stated, it's a pretty easy bus ride to the centre of the action (although sadly the Ecolobus is no longer free, although still cheaper than the regular bus at $2). Also, most times I've seen a ship docked at 103, they're has seemed to be a shuttle bus to the main tourist area - can't guarantee that will happen, but you can certainly ask on the ship.

Really, we're talking a maximum of 5-minute bus ride away from the main dock area.

Thank you so much for your information about dock 103. It is our first trip to Quebec City and it seems such a shame we are out of town. Your information has made it easier for us to organise ourselves now and hopefully Celebrity will have shuttle buses (free - ha, ha;))to assist or we can walk off the food!

Has anyone ever been to Pier 103 in Quebec City. Celebrity Summit is scheduled to dock there for two days on October 5 sailing. It seems to be a destination in itself. It seems to be so far away from the City! Any advice! It does not look like we can just walk into town on the spur of the moment!

I posted a new thread on the Celebrity regular board today asking what Celebrity will do, hopefully provide a shuttle. Hope everyone gets on the "band wagon" and lets Celebrity know our concerns. Check out the post regarding Pier 103.

Just looked at the Quebec City Port schedule (http://www.portquebec.ca/) and I don't see Summit listed anywhere on the schedule!! Listed for 10/5 are Emerald Princess, AidaBella and Crystal Symphony.

We took Holland Veendam Canada/New Engl cruise from Boston to QC in June, and it was soooo nice to be the only ship in town!!!

Just looked at the Quebec City Port schedule (http://www.portquebec.ca/) and I don't see Summit listed anywhere on the schedule!! Listed for 10/5 are Emerald Princess, AidaBella and Crystal Symphony.

We took Holland Veendam Canada/New Engl cruise from Boston to QC in June, and it was soooo nice to be the only ship in town!!!

That is because the 10-5 sailing doesn't get to Quebec until 10-13 and departs on 10-14.

http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=356

It is there

• 1 month later...

We will be on the Summit arriving 8 AM Quebec on Sept 14. HAL's Veendam will be departing Quebec that same day in the PM. Does anyone know if there are 2 docks in town or will we be the "foster child" and be relegated to pier 103 since HAL will be in town before we arrive? There are no other ships in Quebec at that time.

Edited by kennelgang

We were at Pier 103 last week. It is a short bus ride to town and the shuttle was free. The ship excursion person mentioned that their is a benefit to 103. The walk off the ship to the shuttle bus is almost nothing. He said that it is a very long walk to get off the ship in the main port through tunnels and the terminal. I would have put up with long walk to be right in town; but it wasn't that inconvenient.

• 9 months later...

We did this cruise on the same departure date last year. They provide a free shuttle in front of the ship and it takes you right to the lower town. No problem. It runs at least every half hour, if not more, until at least midnight. Yes, being in town without a bus is nicer but this is just fine to. No worries. Be happy.

This post is a year old, the cruise in question has already taken place in October 2013.

Yes, and Celebrity is doing basically the same itinerary again, and the person that topped the thread is on this year's cruise as well as on last years. Apparently we are docking at 103 again this year, so it's all pertinent information.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm always reading an old thread before I realize it's out of date information, sometimes even reply to them.

Yes, and Celebrity is doing basically the same itinerary again, and the person that topped the thread is on this year's cruise as well as on last years. Apparently we are docking at 103 again this year, so it's all pertinent information.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm always reading an old thread before I realize it's out of date information, sometimes even reply to them.

It wasn't that bad Orv. They do drop you off at a great location and the shuttles were quite frequent. Have a great cruise.

We did this cruise on the same departure date last year. They provide a free shuttle in front of the ship and it takes you right to the lower town. No problem. It runs at least every half hour, if not more, until at least midnight. Yes, being in town without a bus is nicer but this is just fine to. No worries. Be happy.

I'm also on this cruise and a little disappointed by the pier assignment. Before we booked, I looked at the scheduled ships in port. I was happy to see we would be 2nd to dock in Quebec City. I mistakenly thought that would put us right in town, since there are 3 berths there.

Wondering how Celebrity drew the short straw for our docking this year. Port schedule shows only Veendam docked prior to Celebrity Summit's arrival on OCT 11. Seabourn Quest and RCI Legend OTS arrive the morning of the 12th, before our 3PM departure.

Does anybody know how they decide which ship to schedule out at pier 103? Is this a lower cost option? Or maybe some sort of contract negotiation arrangement?

I'm sure we will have a great time overnight in Quebec City, but the docking *is* definitely less desirable -- no matter how they spin it.

Glad Celebrity previously made the smart business decision to provide free shuttle in this port to somewhat ameliorate the situation. Hope they include the same service this year.

Jane

I'm also on this cruise and a little disappointed by the pier assignment. Before we booked, I looked at the scheduled ships in port. I was happy to see we would be 2nd to dock in Quebec City. I mistakenly thought that would put us right in town, since there are 3 berths there.

Wondering how Celebrity drew the short straw for our docking this year. Port schedule shows only Veendam docked prior to Celebrity Summit's arrival on OCT 11. Seabourn Quest and RCI Legend OTS arrive the morning of the 12th, before our 3PM departure.

Does anybody know how they decide which ship to schedule out at pier 103? Is this a lower cost option? Or maybe some sort of contract negotiation arrangement?

I'm sure we will have a great time overnight in Quebec City, but the docking *is* definitely less desirable -- no matter how they spin it.

Glad Celebrity previously made the smart business decision to provide free shuttle in this port to somewhat ameliorate the situation. Hope they include the same service this year.

Jane

Probably first booked, first served...just like the cabins on the ship !