Can 2 people sit with legs stretched out on Royal balcony

Loreni

I just read a review that it is impossible to sit with legs stretched out on the Royal balconies, even in a suite. I can see that this would be true if facing the sea. In fact some have said it is like sitting on a plane when facing the sea. We are both tall and the balcony is only 4 feet wide, but I think as long as we don't recline the chair back, our knees should not touch the railing. But we like to relax with our feet up. We are thinking of a deluxe balcony or mini suite.

Now, what if we turn the chairs so that they face each other, share one foot rest and put the table and other foot rest inside the room. Then could we both sit with our feet up? We would be facing each other, but at least we could turn our heads to face the sea from time to time. Maybe, we could even recline the chairs back a little before hitting the dividers. Please let me know if anyone has successfully done this. I may have to make a mock-up on my patio with masking tape and my recliner to see if it is possible.

If it is not possible, our back up plan would be to book an inside and plan on lounging on a steamer chair on the Promenade deck. On the Sapphire, the Promenade is shaded and has abundant steamer chairs. While not private, it offers the chance to view the sea without a glass barrier and it offers shade. The Royal appears to only have a handful of lounge chairs on this deck. Anyway, there is no shade on the Royal's promenade, so this is not ideal. Basically, I just want to relax with my legs up and feel a connection to the sea. We have never lounged on any of the upper decks because the chairs usually point away from the sea and/or offer no shade. Also the upper decks can be noisy. We did check out the sanctuary once, but unlike the promenade deck, it was far from the sea which had to be viewed through glass and many of the chairs had their backs to the sea.

So I hope to verify that the balcony on the Royal, while not ideal, can at least work for two people to lounge with their legs up at the same time. Otherwise, if we sail this ship, we will book an inside.

Just change you backup plan ... Pick another ship ... That's what we did :eek:

A smaller balcony wouldn't be a deciding factor for me to pick another ship, but everybody's priorities are different.

To answer the OP, the initial reviews and photos do point to a smaller and space limited balcony on many categories, but several balconies and mini suites under the skywalk do have more balcony space. You may be sacrificing some privacy from people looking down on you, but that's no different than privacy issues on previous Princess ships with tiered decks.

Based on the pictures and the "semi-live from Venice" thread, it looks like it could just about work. I will probably still go ahead with the mock-up at some point to see how far we may be able to recline the chairs. At this point, on some itineraries, it really is about the ship for us. It is a nice way to escape winter and sometimes we rarely leave the ship.

We have enjoyed the atriums on other Princess ships and are curious about the Piazza. Would we find it so stunning and enjoyable, that we would not mind a barely adequate balcony and a slightly smaller interior in the mini suites? I don't know. So far no one has really gushed that much about the Piazza, but most say it is very nice. We also have some concerns about no forward viewing platform. We use this area briefly, but nearly daily, on most cruises.

We especially enjoy the aft promenade deck where we can look down at the wake. On the Royal, it looks like the port and starboard sided of the promenade are connected by a tunnel in the back. Does anyone know if the tunnel has any openings so one can view the wake.

For those who recommend sailing on a different ship, this is good advice. we a leaning in that direction. Basically, it comes down to just how great the Piazza really is. We are pretty sure that a comfortable balcony, a larger mini suite interior, a forward observation deck, and a covered non-butchered promenade deck with a view of the wake are not worth trading for a water show and Skywalk. But is the Piazza (or anything else we may not have considered) worth this trade?

So far no one has really gushed that much about the Piazza, but most say it is very nice. ... But is the Piazza (or anything else we may not have considered) worth this trade?

A number of other ships have a Piazza :eek:

We especially enjoy the aft promenade deck where we can look down at the wake. On the Royal, it looks like the port and starboard sided of the promenade are connected by a tunnel in the back. Does anyone know if the tunnel has any openings so one can view the wake.

Nope ... just the four perches. For a promenade deck that is anything like a promenade deck have to be somewhere other than on the Royal/Regal. (The deck plan in the new cruise atlas accurately displays the promenade deck, online still does not)

We don't need a bunch of pay extra options. All of the things you did mention we do need. We'll be on the Emerald.:D

The Piazza on the Royal is MUCH nicer than the ones on the other ships...it is much larger, nice and bright, plenty of nice, comfy seats, and we just loved sitting and enjoying coffee, snacks from the IC or gelato. The design is great...so many of the lounges overlook the Piazza. There is entertainment off and on too which was enjoyable...string quartets, combo bands, etc.

Just read a thread "semi live from the Royal" and they also loved the Piazza. I like the piazzas on the Crown, Emerald, etc. but LOVE the one on the Royal!

Thank you for your impressions of the Piazza, Sunsetbeachgirl.

Also, thank you Tapi, for the idea of trying one of the special balconies. I don't think we would like these, because I remember seeing some photos and people can sometimes actually look right into those rooms, not just the balconies. This is a deal-breaker. So if a balcony is going to work for us , it would need to be a regular balcony.

Nope ... just the four perches. For a promenade deck that is anything like a promenade deck have to be somewhere other than on the Royal/Regal. (The deck plan in the new cruise atlas accurately displays the promenade deck, online still does not)

It is just a tunnel in the back, then. Is it for passages to use? It sounds ugly.

It is just a tunnel in the back, then. Is it for passages to use? It sounds ugly.

No, there is no tunnel. It is not possible to walk around the aft outside.

There were 2 people on our balcony and it worked absolutely fine both stretched out facing each other.

No, there is no tunnel. It is not possible to walk around the aft outside.

There were 2 people on our balcony and it worked absolutely fine both stretched out facing each other.

Hi SwissDave. Thank you for the clarification about the promenad. It is good to hear that stretched out lounging is possible on the balcony.

The best area for viewing on back of the Royal is the area outside the back of the Horizon Court...tables, chairs, sofa seating...and a bar.

This is good to know. Do you remember if you can still enjoy the sound of the wake from this height?

This is good to know. Do you remember if you can still enjoy the sound of the wake from this height?

The Royal has several aft cabins with large balconies. You could enjoy the sound and sights of the wake from them.:)

I am so dissapointed, after reading the latest member reviews of the Royal. We have enjoyed 27 Princess cruises and were looking forward to the new ship,but there are just to many negativs for us to book. I know some of you love the new design and I am happy for you,but for me a ship without a promenade and tiny balconies just does not work. Why have a OCEAN vacation if you can't enjoy the fresh air and sea breezes on the promenad deck. A big beautiful Piazza can be found on many of the better hotels on land!Same goes for the "shoping Malls" on RCL.Maybe we are a bit spoiled with our large minisuits and very big balconies, which we enjoy a lot while eating,entertaining friends or just star gazing. So in the end I wish Princess success with their new design, it is just not right for us and I don't understand why they could not find a better design team with all the money theyhave spend. We will keep cruising and enjoying their older ships.:o:);)

I am so dissapointed, after reading the latest member reviews of the Royal. We have enjoyed 27 Princess cruises and were looking forward to the new ship,but there are just to many negativs for us to book. I know some of you love the new design and I am happy for you,but for me a ship without a promenade and tiny balconies just does not work. Why have a OCEAN vacation if you can't enjoy the fresh air and sea breezes on the promenad deck. A big beautiful Piazza can be found on many of the better hotels on land!Same goes for the "shoping Malls" on RCL.Maybe we are a bit spoiled with our large minisuits and very big balconies, which we enjoy a lot while eating,entertaining friends or just star gazing. So in the end I wish Princess success with their new design, it is just not right for us and I don't understand why they could not find a better design team with all the money theyhave spend. We will keep cruising and enjoying their older ships.:o:);)

Some of what you say is lacking on the Royal is actually available. You can experience the ocean breezes on the promenade deck in full loungers. There are minisuites with large balconies if you want them. They just aren't all on one deck. Just a thought.:)

If you like the sound of the wake and want to stretch, you might look at an aft facing premium deluxe balconies on the Dolphin or Baja Decks. They are like the Carib Deck balconies on the Grand Class, being larger and with a partial overhang. We have one booked for the Maiden Caribbean cruise on the Royal. Of course, they cost a bit more.

Some of what you say is lacking on the Royal is actually available. You can experience the ocean breezes on the promenade deck in full loungers. There are minisuites with large balconies if you want them. They just aren't all on one deck. Just a thought.:)

I only counted 32 loungers on the promenade deck and if one side is smoking, that would only leave 16 for us. It could be hard to get one of these on a ship of 4,000. Also, from what I have seen the larger balconies are in areas where people on the Skywalk can look right into your room, not just the balcony. I don't like this. There may be a few aft facing large balconies, but again what are the odds of getting one; you would either have to book very early or be very lucky.

I only counted 32 loungers on the promenade deck and if one side is smoking, that would only leave 16 for us. It could be hard to get one of these on a ship of 4,000. Also, from what I have seen the larger balconies are in areas where people on the Skywalk can look right into your room, not just the balcony. I don't like this. There may be a few aft facing large balconies, but again what are the odds of getting one; you would either have to book very early or be very lucky.

I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have what people think the Royal lacks, if you really are interested in sailing the Royal. :)

I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have what people think the Royal lacks, if you really are interested in sailing the Royal. :)

Hi Mom 33, I am aware of the aft cabins with their larger balconies,but there are only a handful for a much larger price and getting them is not easy. As to the promenade deck there is NOT one one the Royal,you are referring to the upper jogging deck which is uncovered and very crowded. Not the same at all as a proper promenade deck which is lower on the ship (closer to the ocean) and covered,perfect for strolling. LIke I said in my post,if you love the ship design go for it,just not for us :)

I know and I appreciate that. I'm sorry if I sounded like I did not.

Archived