dress code

sandiegosun1

I don't understand why people even care what other people wear. If you're comfortable with what YOU wear, why worry about other people.

I care that people still wear bathing clothes when they use the pool or do not lounge in the buff on the Lido deck or hot tubs. Yes, I do care what other people wear, appropriate to the setting.

Edited by OlsSalt

I don't understand why people even care what other people wear. If you're comfortable with what YOU wear, why worry about other people.

Very well said! And for those folks who do care about such things, I choose to wear a jacket and tie on so-called formal nights, but it is my choice, not yours.

We have had many MDR formal night dinners on many ships.

We have yet to see someone attend a formal dinner in the MDR wearing a robe. Are HAL's rules really that relaxed?

I think the poster was being facetious ;) about robes in the MDR. Although I have seen robes in the Lido.

Is room service free or is there an extra charge for it?

There's no charge for room service, unless you are ordering something with a charge, like a bottle of liquor. Room service is included in the price of the cruise.

A tip to the steward who delivers your order is appreciated. If you do choose to tip, have it ready before you open the door. They are in & out fast!

I'm not sure this question belongs on this forum, but no idea where else to find the info. We are going on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 6 October/7 nights through Italy. How can I find out which night will be the formal night? We are traveling with a couple that would like to do this, but we also want to book a few nights in the specialty restaurants and want to avoid any conflict.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Just back from Alaska on the Volendam. Did not plan on formal nights but my wife convinced me to try the second night w/o coat or tie as she had seen pictures of folks from the first night w/o. The steward loaned me a coat but turned away a fellow in jeans w/o the offer of a coat. Open seating early.

I think the poster was being facetious ;) about robes in the MDR. Although I have seen robes in the Lido.

On our March Noordam cruise, we saw a lady wearing her bathrobe to the Theater one night for the late performance on formal night. A few nights later, she came into the Piano Bar wearing fleece pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt. :eek: Real class ... and I am not ashamed at all to admit that, YES, WE DID NOTICE WHAT SHE WAS WEARING !!!

Just back from Alaska on the Volendam. Did not plan on formal nights but my wife convinced me to try the second night w/o coat or tie as she had seen pictures of folks from the first night w/o. The steward loaned me a coat but turned away a fellow in jeans w/o the offer of a coat. Open seating early.

Interesting data-point. Thank you for sharing.

On our March Noordam cruise, we saw a lady wearing her bathrobe to the Theater one night for the late performance on formal night.

Sadly, that's an improvement on the woman on my Amsterdam cruise last September. That one left off the robe, and just wore her PJs and Nemo slippers to the show. Sat right down front, too---where the comedian was able to incorporate her attire into his routine.

She didn't even know enough to be embarrassed.

Very well said! And for those folks who do care about such things, I choose to wear a jacket and tie on so-called formal nights, but it is my choice, not yours.

The choice is the cruise company to establish, honor and/or enforce. Ship travel requires a higher degree of group conformity to standards of conduct on many levels that other modes of transportation, which passengers understand and commit to when they sign up.

Disclaimer: My own " at least 40% tuxes" visual scan on formal nights is limited to the upper level dining room for late fixed dining - this alone by choice may be a more traditional crowd.

We normally do the longer cruises, have late dining, upper level & find your figure of 40% in Tuxes about right..However on our last two 7 day cruises (Alaska & Bermuda), even though DH wore a Tux, there were only about 15% in a Tux..

I just returned from a RT cruise from Boston to Montreal. Very few people with Tux's most had either suits or jacket & pants. Very noticeable that some women, even for a 7 day voyage, take a dress for each day & 8 prs of shoes!

You are describing me!:D If it were a 7 day, I would def. take 7 completely different outfits.. Even on our 68 day (9 1/2 weeks) cruise I had 7 formal outfits, 18 Smart Casual Outfits & 9 pr. of shoes.. The Formals consisted of a black dress, long black chiffon skirt or Palazzo Pants with completely different tops or jackets...My smart casuals were several sets of different slacks, skirts, pant suits, Capri's etc with enough tops to make 18 different outfits..This way I only had to wear each outfit two to three times & kept track of them on a daily basis while on-board..Of course, I was able to have most of the casual outfits laundered..When we do a 21 day cruise I'll try to have at least 10-12 different outfits..

Reason I take so many clothes & shoes is we normally drive to the port & most importantly I have lots of nice clothes which I rarely get to wear in Florida.. When I worked in the Airline field had to keep it to one bag each but now even when we fly to the port, I'll take an extra bag & pay for it.. My theory is; we've spent so much on the cruise, why not pay for an extra bag & be happy..:D:D:D

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm not sure this question belongs on this forum, but no idea where else to find the info. We are going on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 6 October/7 nights through Italy. How can I find out which night will be the formal night? We are traveling with a couple that would like to do this, but we also want to book a few nights in the specialty restaurants and want to avoid any conflict.

Thanks for any help or advice.

I recommend you wait until you board the ship and ask. I asked the same question on here before our Westerdam to Alaska cruise and the answer repeated over and over was that the 2nd formal night would be after Ketchikan. That's how we ended up in the MDR in smart casual on formal night after Sitka. We didn't pay any attention to the Daily Explorer, which gives the attire for the evening in very fine print on the front page next to the date and port. The formal night isn't always the same on every cruise so answers here might lead to confusion later.

Edited by NoobCruise

There will be a booklet when you get on the ship that describes the ports. It will also lists the dress code for every night. The daily on location will repeat this info daily. They will generally have a sign in front of the MDR to tell you the dress code for the evening.

We do not care about paying for bags on the airline. It is more about lugging it around since we invariable combine cruise with land trips.

Formal nights in the MDR hold no attraction for us so we simply skip them in favour of other venues. But, we do not hid in our room all night either...we are out and about in our casual clothes.

You're right. I am currently on the Zuiderdam - last night was formal, and there were several men in shirt with no tie, and even more with no jacket.

Sorry to hear that. I thought the Z to be the best at enforcing the "code" on formal night. Signs at the MDR doors saying coat, etc required. Actually saw the DRM chase someone down who passed quickly thru the doors to get to his seat. But that was almost 3 years ago - and we know how times change.

Edited by Linda&Vern

We have been reading about this debate on and off ever since joining CC.

The topic never seems to lose traction!

One of the most common refrains seems to be along these lines:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2pies

Our thoughts: We adhere to the dress guidelines, which appear to be an attempt to hang on to the Old World Style and Comfort of shipboard life, which (we think) is the essence of HAL ships. We are happy with our choice and generally enjoy the formal nights.

If nothing else, at the very least it seems the polite and considerate thing to do for our fellow passengers who are enjoying a formal night dinner.

Is it really so difficult? We're not comfortable with the attitude of "it's all about me, and never mind what others think".

But that's just us.

If for some reason we don't wish to dress for dinner, we will eat in the Lido or maybe one day we will try a dinner in our cabin.

We have been reading about this debate on and off ever since joining CC.

The topic never seems to lose traction!

One of the most common refrains seems to be along these lines:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2pies

Our thoughts: We adhere to the dress guidelines, which appear to be an attempt to hang on to the Old World Style and Comfort of shipboard life, which (we think) is the essence of HAL ships. We are happy with our choice and generally enjoy the formal nights.

If nothing else, at the very least it seems the polite and considerate thing to do for our fellow passengers who are enjoying a formal night dinner.

Is it really so difficult? We're not comfortable with the attitude of "it's all about me, and never mind what others think".

But that's just us.

If for some reason we don't wish to dress for dinner, we will eat in the Lido or maybe one day we will try a dinner in our cabin.

Thank you for your delightful post. When I read the "debate" posts I always think to myself - what do these same people do when on land and at a restaurant that has a "coat required" sign on the check-in podium ... or a "shirt and shoes required" sign. Do they go in and say "I'm buying the food, I'll dress as I please?"

We cruise on a number of lines.

We see a distinct trend away from formal. We don't really care one way or the other because the cruise lines always provide reasonable alternative to dining in the MDR on formal night. But the trend is most definitely there and we can only see the trend growing.

Edited by iancal

We cruise on a number of lines.

We see a distinct trend away from formal. We don't really care one way or the other because the cruise lines always provide reasonable alternative to dining in the MDR on formal night. But the trend is most definitely there and we can only see the trend growing.

yes...we are dumbing down daily...at a record pace

I am currently on Veendam. The announcements that were made yesterday about formal night last night said only that ladies were to look "elegant" and men were to wear coats. No mention at all in any of the announcements of ties being required. I have any time dining and went to the dining room aroung 7:30 PM. I saw very few tuxedos, long gowns or cocktail dresses. Most men were wearing business suits with women wearing LBD's or dress slacks.

I am currently on Veendam. The announcements that were made yesterday about formal night last night said only that ladies were to look "elegant" and men were to wear coats. No mention at all in any of the announcements of ties being required. I have any time dining and went to the dining room aroung 7:30 PM. I saw very few tuxedos, long gowns or cocktail dresses. Most men were wearing business suits with women wearing LBD's or dress slacks.

How much lower can HAL set the bar and still call it "formal"?

This definition is easing down into the "casual" definitions---as in the old "elegantly casual" from years ago.