Prescription Medicine in Quebec City

To my knowledge, your prescription must be written by a licensed Canadian physician before a pharmacy will fill it.

If necessary, you could take your US prescription to a walk-in clinic, see a doctor and and see if he will write a scrip for you.

To my knowledge, your prescription must be written by a licensed Canadian physician before a pharmacy will fill it.

If necessary, you could take your US prescription to a walk-in clinic, see a doctor and and see if he will write a scrip for you.

That is the only way to get one filled .

Note some prescription drugs in the US are nonprescription in Canada.

Pharmacists are governed by their individual provincial colleges and while I am not familiar with Quebec's college, I rather doubt that a Quebec pharmacist will fill a US doctor's prescription. I know in BC a pharmacist has a small degree of latitude to provide a few pills in an emergency situation but that where it ends. There are a few things that are available over the counter such as Tylenol and cough syrups with small amounts of codeine as well as some back pain remedies. If you go to a walk in clinic in Quebec with your prescription you may be able to have a doctor re-write the scpript .... but that exercise will likely cost you about $35 to $50.

Thank you for your answers. I am looking for a name brand blood thinner - not the generic. If the cost of the pills falls way below what I need to pay here, then it might be sensible to pay the walk in clinic fee.

Your more likely to get a generic drug in Canada then a Brand Name.

Your more likely to get a generic drug in Canada then a Brand Name.

The OP could ask the doctor to specifically write the RX with name of the brand name drug rather than the generic (e.g. ask specifically for Lipitor versus atorvastatin).

you don't need to go to Canada personally to get Canadian medicine. There are many Canadian online pharmacies that will take "American prescriptions" and fill them via mail. I have some patients doing that on a regular basis, but do not know the exact "legality" of this practice on either side of the border.

Also getting a large quantity prescription in a walk in clinic maybe more problematic than you think. I'd be very hesitant to write you months worth of Xarelto or Pradaxa or Aggrenox in an urgent care setting (not having your medical record or a long term patient relationship).

you don't need to go to Canada personally to get Canadian medicine. There are many Canadian online pharmacies that will take "American prescriptions" and fill them via mail. I have some patients doing that on a regular basis, but do not know the exact "legality" of this practice on either side of the border.

Also getting a large quantity prescription in a walk in clinic maybe more problematic than you think. I'd be very hesitant to write you months worth of Xarelto or Pradaxa or Aggrenox in an urgent care setting (not having your medical record or a long term patient relationship).

I'd be wary of online pharmacies. There have been a few horror stories:

FDA NEWS RELEASE

CBC News report

I know lots of people use them, but I'd worry about getting fake/mislabeled/tainted drugs.

Thank you for your answers. I am looking for a name brand blood thinner - not the generic. If the cost of the pills falls way below what I need to pay here, then it might be sensible to pay the walk in clinic fee.

If you are willing to wait 8-12 hours in line at the clinic and getting there at 5:30 AM to get a spot, well enjoy your vacation...

That is something common across most of Canada. In our town the walk in clinic averages about 6 hour wait. In a hospital emergency room on a Friday night you could easily wait over 18 hrs to see the Doctor. It has happened that peopled died before even se wing the Doctor.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

My mom forgot to bring a prescription on a trip. We went to a Pharmacy in Canada and asked if the doctor could call it in. They said they could not take a prescription from the US. Ironically, it turned out to be a pill that is not required by prescription in Canada so it worked out anyway.

I'd be wary of online pharmacies. There have been a few horror stories:

FDA NEWS RELEASE

CBC News report

I know lots of people use them, but I'd worry about getting fake/mislabeled/tainted drugs.

Thanks for posting those. Fake drugs are definitely concerns. In this grey, under-supervised area of pharma-consumerism, buyers be ware.

Must be a Montreal and Kamloops thing. I've never waited more than an hour at a Walk-In Clinic in Wpg.

I live on the border of Ontario and Quebec and to my knowledge you would have a long wait at a walk-in clinic in either Province. If you go to a hospital you would be there for a very long time waiting in emergency.

Archived