Who do you tip on a cruise

Sarpy1

In addition to the auto tips:

Room Service a $2-3 for breakfast daily.

$2 in buffet for special requests, i.e., sometimes we request something we want that is not out on the buffet.

$2 for ice water in a bar.

$50+ to head waiter and/or Matre'd for special requests off menu in the MDR.

$5-10 speciality restrauants.

Drinks/cocktails for entertainers to show appreciation.

Cold drinks for the chef/kitchen staff preparing special requests.

Well we learn something new everyday !! I had no clue that tipping the cabin steward extra had to be turned into the supervisor. There have been times when I would NOT have tipped some of the wait staff AT ALL. I prefer to hand the money to the person who is serving me. Guess I am old school but to me T.I.P. means "To insure promptness" I do not feel the need to hand out money to people I have never had any service from. I may give this matter some thought for my next cruise.

Well we learn something new everyday !! I had no clue that tipping the cabin steward extra had to be turned into the supervisor. There have been times when I would NOT have tipped some of the wait staff AT ALL. I prefer to hand the money to the person who is serving me. Guess I am old school but to me T.I.P. means "To insure promptness" I do not feel the need to hand out money to people I have never had any service from. I may give this matter some thought for my next cruise.

TIP is not an acronym for "to insure promptness". you would not insure, but rather ensure.

Not only what YubaSutter pointed out but, when you go to you local restaurant, do you tip your waiter/waitress before you get your meal?;):)

Having worked in restaurants in my youth....I always do the automatic AND tip my room stewards and our MDR peeps (waiter, assistant, and wine steward - we do fixed dining) at the end of the trip. The amount varies by how "flush" I'm feeling, and the quality of service.

I've also done bar staff in spite of the fact that they already get a percentage from our orders (on Holland America) because 1. we tend to go to happy hour (smaller percentage per drink) and they 2. remember our order day to day 3. bring us lots of appetizers, including adjusting to the fact that my husband is allergic to all shellfish, and 4. remember to bring us glasses of water to go with our drinks.

thanks so much for all your suggestions, I appreciate it so much..what about Camp Carnival? Do you all go by the same guidelines for them?

I suggest you read up on the FAQs on the Carnival website as many of your questions (or future questions) would be answered there. Especially how the tips work.

If you're asking how much to give to the Camp Carnival staff, I would base it on how often your child utilized it. If he/she goes quite a bit, and is quite happy, you'll go by your instincts on how much to put in the envelope.

For those who are new to cruising, how tipping works can be different for some cruiselines and the same for others. It seems to me that auto-tipping came about because of flexible dining. Most people who go to the dining room would probably prefer not to have to take cash with them (at least I don't). I do try to carry a small notepad and pen (to write down entrees on the menu and other notes for my trip report) in my small purse along with my camera. So if a crew member did something great for us, I can write down their name/country/work station from their name tag and then fill out a made a difference card for them (some cruiselines have these at the front desk). And I sure many don't think about tipping the hard working staff in the buffet and other places. The tipping pool takes care of them for you.

We keep on the autotips (we find it easier than stuffing envelopes on the last day -- then we just concern ourselves with any extra tips we wish to give). As others have pointed out above, the way that the system works, you can actually be negatively rewarding crew members if you remove the autotips for them (and give them cash). They won't get the full amount of your tip. And we don't give a tip at the start of the cruise -- that feels like a bribe, as in I'm-going-to-be-a-pain-in-the-rear bribe or I-want-you-to-treat-me-better-than-other-passengers bribe.

As for those not in the tipping pool, some are tipped separately such as when you buy a beverage (tip is added to your bill), spa staff, room service (I'm not sure about this -- but we haven't ordered room service in at least 15 years or more), kids' staff, porters, excursion guides.

I was always told that TIPS stood for: To Insure Proper Service

I guess it is time to google it

we tip our Head waiter, favorite bar servers, cabin steward and anyone else who has gone above and beyond. On a recent cruise we tipped the two young people who were always wiping down the stairwells, door handles and elevators becuase they were always smiling

Archived