Patent Leather Shoes

I have been shoe shopping on-line. I saw a pair of black shoes that were patent leather and no other black option.

Is there a guideline for when you wear patent leather. Not necessarily season, but with what type of clothing? Is patent leather considered more casual or more formal?

Just wondering. I had never thought about before. I remember as a child my MaryJanes were always patent leather and of course they were for dressy occasions.

I think it depends more on the style of the shoe than the fabric. You can find very casual patent leather (clogs) as well as stilettos that you could wear on a red carpet.

From what I have read, patent leather used to be a warm weather fabric. Not sure why. I think that "rule" has gone the way of the "white rule".

If you like the shoes, get them and wear them when you like!

When I see those shoes, I think wear to church, elegant casual night on a ship, night out in a nice restaurant or (depending upon the profession) work. The chunky wooden (I think) heel dresses the shoes down some. So not formal but not casual, if you get my meaning. The heel rather than the fabric gives me that impression.

I used to have a pair of black patent loafers. I LOVED those shoes and wore them pretty much constantly until they fell apart :(

I have a pair of brown patent leather shoes (Softspots Neima) similar to the shoe you posted - I wear them for work with skirts & dresses and have worn them on business trips too - in the warm weather (due to the open style of the shoe, not so much the material) I also have the Neima in black snakeskin (only paid $23 for those- such a bargain!) that I wear for work all the time April-October or so (I live in the south and it's warm here for a long dang time - I'd like to wear autumn clothing but it just doesn't happen:rolleyes:)

I used to have a pair of black patent loafers. I LOVED those shoes and wore them pretty much constantly until they fell apart :(

I have a pair of brown patent leather shoes (Softspots Neima) similar to the shoe you posted - I wear them for work with skirts & dresses and have worn them on business trips too - in the warm weather (due to the open style of the shoe, not so much the material) I also have the Neima in black snakeskin (only paid $23 for those- such a bargain!) that I wear for work all the time April-October or so (I live in the south and it's warm here for a long dang time - I'd like to wear autumn clothing but it just doesn't happen:rolleyes:)

I knew that shoe style, Neima, sounded familiar. I also like them. I didn't pursue them because my pinky toe always finds an opening and the shoes become uncomfortable.

http://att-i.shoebuy.com/pi/lowel/jb/lowel588813_103997_jb.jpg

I don't know if this worked but the link above is the shoe I have in mind.

I associated patent leather with my Easter Shoes as a kid. I don't think I have bought a pair in many years.

If you decide to buy these, please remember that you should not wear hosiery with open toed shoes. I don't care what you think, you can't hide the seam and yes people can tell if you wearing open toed shoes with hose.

If you decide to buy these, please remember that you should not wear hosiery with open toed shoes. I don't care what you think, you can't hide the seam and yes people can tell if you wearing open toed shoes with hose.

They make open toed hosiery. I don't wear hosiery except opaque tights in cold weather, but.....

(where did anyone in this thread talk about wearing hosiery with those shoes??)

Sometimes I feel like the Cruise Critic Historian. The reason that patent leather used to be a summer only shoe was that back in the "olden days", the leather cracked in the cold. This was even before my time, but the custom endured for a long while even when the reason was no longer valid.

Sometimes I feel like the Cruise Critic Historian. The reason that patent leather used to be a summer only shoe was that back in the "olden days", the leather cracked in the cold. This was even before my time, but the custom endured for a long while even when the reason was no longer valid.

Who knew! Thanks for the history lesson.

Archived