Muster Drill

gumballz

I've found that most cruise lines complete the muster drill prior to sailing. On one cruise, it was after we sailed out of port but that was very unusual.

The last few cruises we were departing at 5:00, the muster drill was at 4:00. It's never interferred with that special sailaway and bon voyage! :)

Happy sails!

Didn't interfere with our departure from Miami. We had balcony room on port side, so don't know best place to watch as we stood out there for departure...was kind of neat with many passengers in cars on parallel highway honking and waving as we cruised out of the port...have fun!

I really believe that most cruise lines would not want muster drill to be at the same time as the ship shoves off.

Sailaway is promoted (and is) a very festive time. The cruise line sells LOT'S of drinks. If you have a balcony it can be fun to watch from there. Anywhere on the open deck is great also.

Sailaway is one of those moments when I realize how lucky I am. Arm around DW and watching the shoreline move away never fails to raise a goosebump or two at our good fortune.

Charlie

International Maritime Law states that a cruise ship shall not leave port until the Muster Drill has been completed. The ship will not even be cleared to sail until the Muster Dril is complete. You'll have plenty of time to take your life jackets back to your cabin and get up on deck to watch pulling away from the pier.

Happy Sailing!!!:D

Ok, I remember the life boat drills from my last cruise a decade ago, but what the heck is a muster drill?

We didn't have those in the Army ;)

~e

Basically, they're the same thing.

Being a 'sea-going folk' by trade (courtesy of Uncle Sam heehee), I can tell you that in the Navy, any gathering of people for accountability and/or training purposes is called 'muster'. Maybe it is a nautical term after all?! :D

International Maritime Law states that a cruise ship shall not leave port until the Muster Drill has been completed. The ship will not even be cleared to sail until the Muster Dril is complete. You'll have plenty of time to take your life jackets back to your cabin and get up on deck to watch pulling away from the pier.

This is USUALLY what is done, but on our last cruise we left HOURS late due to the ships docking 5 hours late. We were supposed to sail at 5, but didn't even start the disembarkation process for the previous cruise till after 1 p.m. I believe it was during dinner time that we finally set sail, I know that it was very dark out. I was VERY surprised to find out that the muster drill was the NEXT day!

This was a first time for us to have it the next day.

International Maritime Law states that a cruise ship shall not leave port until the Muster Drill has been completed. The ship will not even be cleared to sail until the Muster Dril is complete.
I think this is incorrect -- do you have a citation for this statute? IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe that the Captain has 24 hours after the departure from the first port to accomplish the drill. I've been on several sailings where the muster drill wasn't held until the morning after a late-afternoon sailing.

In any event, I agree that it would be very unusual for the drill to coincide with sailaway. All those mustering passengers and crew would certainly get in the way of a very critical operation.

The best way to find out when the drill will be scheduled for your sailing is to check with cruisers who have just done your itenerary on your ship, or to see if the daily activities list for your cruise is posted somewhere on-line.

John

I don't know about maritime law that states whether a ship must conduct a life jacket drill before departure, but I had figured EVERYONE must participate. On our last cruise, however, I was amazed to see two people show up to the muster station who would not and did not participate.

One out right refused. She said life jackets make her faint, so she was not made to wear one. The other man sat in his seat, but feigned sleep, so he never wore a jacket. Whenever a crew member was near to check us and our life jackets, he promptly "fell asleep". When the drill was over, he sprang from his seat like a spring chicken and hurried away, suddenly refreshed and energized.

It surprised me that actual wearing of a life jacket was optional. I thought the whole purpose of the muster or drill was to learn how to put on the jacket properly.

do you have a citation for this statute?

In "Focus on IMO" published by the International Maritime Organisation http://www.imo.org/includes/blast_bindoc.asp?doc_id=438&format=PDF

they present an overview about various regulations.

About SOLAS, Chapter III, Part B, Regulation 19 it says:

"Whenever new passengers embark, a passenger safety briefing must be made immediately before or after sailing."

Further information is included e.g. about the required location and equipment of muster stations, passenger lists ...

Nice detail: every passenger is entitled to room of at least 0,35 sqm.

Sorry, no such law, cruises out of Puerto Rico during the winter months which leave around 6:00P.M. usually have their muster drills the following morning.

Sorry, no such law, cruises out of Puerto Rico during the winter months which leave around 6:00P.M. usually have their muster drills the following morning.

I was simply stating what has been told to me in the past by both US Coast Guard and crew members aboard the ships that I have sailed. Perhaps I was mistaken in stating "International" and it is actually "U.S." Maritime Law.

Now, I wouldn't consider myself the most experienced cruiser, but from conversations I've had with dozens of others who have been cruising for decades, none of us has ever experienced a Muster Drill AFTER sailing. I'd tend to think that Muster Drills after sailing are probably not very common; at least for U.S. embarkation ports.

In any event, gumballz, you will not miss pulling away from the pier :D

sorry we had one the morning after we left NY. I understand the rule and law to be within 24 hours of leaving the first port. It was held the morning after because it was dark when all passengers were aboard and I think they want you to see what you are doing. SOLAS regs apply to all but the new NCLA US flagged vessels where US rules apply. In any case I agree that it is a good idea. and at least the guy who feigned sleeping knew where his station was.

• 2 weeks later...

Diane c, here is some information about the muster process. Some passengers carry their life vests from their cabins to the muster station. In your room, you will have a notice telling you where to muster. Your life vests will be in your cabin (on Royal Caribbean anyway.)

Those who carry their vests to the muster station may have learned from experience that it can be hard to walk or use the stairs with one on, because it can be hard to see over the vest. Others do wear their vests to the muster station. Crew memebers help folks put the vests on who may be having difficulty doing so.

Crew members check off names to make sure every one has mustered. AFter these formalities are over, you may remove your life vest or wear it back to your cabin, because your life vest is kept in your cabin, hopefully to be worn no more by you.

You go to your pre-assigned muster station. It is marked on both the back of your cabin door and stenciled on the lifejackets in your cabin. You have to walk down the stairs to go to your muster station and crew members are at each deck landing directing you. They can tell where you're supposed to go by your life jacket. We didn't put ours on until we were at the muster station but many people were wearing theirs on the way. It didn't take very long at all - just make sure you check in with the crew member at your station so they know you are there. Enjoy your cruise!

On RCI last year it didn't interfer, we had time to go put up our life jacktets. We did Carnival Elation in June of this year and we headed down to put up our life jackets and in our room our son said we are moving. They didn't wait for anyone to put up life jackets so we missed the beginning of the sail away. I guess each ship is different.

Archived