LIVE From the ALLURE of the SEAS with Trainman & Judith

Trainman-2

quote=sky0000547;39916003]I'm on the Allure now and I have seen dividers opened on some balcony cabins.

But you are asking FOS though.

No sorry! I meant we are going on Allure (not FOS) in Oct Eastern 2014 and wondered if the balcony dividers opened. We are booked into 10594 with parents in 10952.

The design of the doors allows them to be opened.

It depends on who you ask if they will open them or not. Some people get them opened and some don't.

I haven't been able to get a clear answer.

I am still trying to find out for sure what the policy is.

Thanks. When we went on FOS we were told it was at the Captain's discretion but when we got there, there was no problem. Hoping it will be the same for the Allure as it really made a difference being able to go between the rooms.

Hi sent a question earlier and may have missed the response but wanted to know if the divider on the balcony can be opened. We were on fos western in 2012 and have now booked fos eastern in October 2014 and would really like to open the divider as my parents will be next door. Could u find out please?

We just got off Freedom Sunday and they opened the divider.

Love following along. We are on Allure in Nov. and did Oasis last year. Words do not do them justice but love your posts. Have to admit that the Windjammer is my guilty pleasure when I cruise. Looking forward to Samba's after your review.

Thank you!

There are actually five different threads. You can find them all here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=846

Hi Trainman-2 and Judith,

I'm so glad you posted the link to your other threads.

I'm in the middle of reading your fabulous "Our New House In the Country" thread. I love your beautiful country home and all your adorable animals:)

Glad Judith is ok after her tumble and that you both are enjoying your trip.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us

Liz:)

We had a great time ashore today!

Falmouth Historical Bus Tours are available but we have had several "bad experiences" with bus tours so we hired a taxi and paid him more money than we should have.

Anyone who does a Taxi Tour, check the posted hourly rates first! There is a big sign that we never saw until after the tour when it was too late.

We had a great time ashore today!

Falmouth Historical Bus Tours are available but we have had several "bad experiences" with bus tours so we hired a taxi and paid him more money than we should have.

Anyone who does a Taxi Tour, check the posted hourly rates first! There is a big sign that we never saw until after the tour when it was too late.

Hi Trainman. Sorry I have been a bit quiet. I am glad to hear that you had a good time on Falmouth. I also had an excellent time today in Ocho Rios on my private tour. I managed to get back to Allure with 10 minutes to spare. I panicked slightly, as I thought at one point that I would be waving to people from the wrong side of the ship. :eek:

I'll be updating my blog shortly.

There are three "new things" in the enclosed port shopping area.

The first is that it is almost completely built out.

The second is the new "Junk food Area"

Dairy Queen

DSCN0270_zps79392cac.jpg

Quiznos

DSCN0271_zpse5eba2fb.jpg

Nathan's Sorry, no photo

They are located close the the area where you exit for the excursions. The green roofed porch in front of the white building with the green roof is a nice outdoor eating area shared by all three. There is room for a forth concession.

FSCN0380_zps16c13462.jpg

I know, always follow Radio, but, but, but....luv Jim and will miss his 'Live froms'

Hoping he can find another more understanding Cruise Line.

Will stay tuned.

dm

somewhere I have missed why this will be his last Royal cruise... anyone??

Personal Safety in Falmouth

We told our Taxi Driver that a lot of people would not come into Falmouth because they were concerned about crime. He laughed and said the major crimes and shootings were all in the big cities and that there was nothing to worry about in Falmouth.

However, common sense prevails.

I am personally aware of cases in other Caribbean Ports where teenage kids walked up to a tourist, reached over and snatched their gold chains right off their neck, and then ran. These kids know their town and how to disappear quickly.

It is best to not wear easily grab-able gold chains or display expensive watches or jewelry.

We felt perfectly safe with our cab driver, but once you are out of the immediate port area, there are a lot of native people walking around on the streets. We would not have gone walking around on our own.

There are a lot of churches in Falmouth! Our cab driver told us that the 7th Day Adventist Church had the most members.

You can easily see the steeple of this church from the sports deck on the stern of the ship. It is in the middle of the town and is a stop on the Historical Bus Tours.

DSCN0330_zps3eb37a2d.jpg

DSCN0329_zps8ad8511c.jpg

You can see by the boarded up windows to the right of the entrance that poverty in Falmouth also applies to the churches. Yet is was, as best as they were able, well maintained and worth a visit.

The grave yards were not as well maintained as could be.

DSCN0338_zpsdeccc987.jpg

DSCN0336_zps7be50419.jpg

Judith has an interest in old cemeteries and goats so she spent a bit of time looking around.

You can see the remains of the Old Fort from the Sports Deck on the stern of the ship. It is off to the right.

It is now a public school for elementary age children.

The building on the right in the photo below was once the fort's gun powder magazine.

DSCN0299_zps04d371a7.jpg

In my younger days, I was a Civil War Reinactor and used to fire muzzle loading cannons similar to this one competitively.

DSCN0295_zps989d51fe.jpg

DSCN0298_zps242c194f.jpg

DSCN0296_zpsb103275d.jpg

Judith has in interest in birds and asked what kind of birds these were. She was told they are "Sea Gulls" but they don't look like any Sea Gulls we have ever seen.

They were gliding in place above the shore on the breeze coming ashore from the ocean.

DSCN0301_zps26bfce3a.jpg

DSCN0300_zps287123b8.jpg

Archived