Making the DR more contemporary??

cruzn buckeye

Making the dining more contemporary probably means a change in menu and decor. People are so split on the dress code and my time vs traditional dining, that I really doubt there would be any changes.

For the record, I prefer Late dining and I actually like to dress nicer for dinner, but if either were done away with, it wouldn't stop me from going on a cruise and having a great time.

[quote name='adaptabl']Most CC members want them to dump the formal dinners. It's time they go for good.

Nothing is stopping you from playing dress up every night if you want.[/quote]

Its this kind of tone that bothers me because what doesn't seem to be understood by either side of this is that for some they are not "playing dress up" this is how they are and were raised with strict dress codes. Many though weren't raised with or have chosen to break away from those codes.

I just wish there were a way to handle it without all the snobbery and name calling that seems to happen from both sides of the discussion.

Ultimately we don't know what Carnival's changes will be. We'll just have to see what happens and who decided to look elsewhere for their cruise experience.

[quote name='winddawn']And Anytime Dining across the board. No more early and late seatings.[/QUOTE]
If that's the case, I will be switching over to Royal Caribbean (at least just for solo cruises). Lack of assigned dining is the reason why I won't sail solo on Norwegian. I don't want to feel like a new kid in the school cafeteria at every dinner; in other words, either eat alone or hope someone will be nice enough to let me join their table. Carnival gave me two great solo cruises, and assigned dining was a major contributing factor. So if that goes away, so will I.

[quote name='LandlockedCruiser01']If that's the case, I will be switching over to Royal Caribbean (at least just for solo cruises). Lack of assigned dining is the reason why I won't sail solo on Norwegian. I don't want to feel like a new kid in the school cafeteria at every dinner; in other words, either eat alone or hope someone will be nice enough to let me join their table. Carnival gave me two great solo cruises, and assigned dining was a major contributing factor. So if that goes away, so will I.[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised, I think they have a good handle on what their client likes. While there may be a need for a somewhat larger ATD, I still think the majority wants regular MDR experience. Worse case I believe along these lines would be one DR one way and one the other (obviously would not work on the Spirit class and two ships are assigned to Australia, who knows where the others will go.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on my iPad

We are one of many who know avoid the MDR: dancing waiters, long wait, hard to get a waiters attention, waiters who are unattentive or have a language gap with diners, cold food, dress codes on a vacation, 2 hour meals etc...

My wife chats with EVERYONE, when in the buffet for dinner, these are often the things others, as well as us, use to explain why they dine in the buffet.

Everyone in the MDR smiles and claps, BECAUSE the rest of us are in the buffet already, having our meat cut to our thickness in front of us, making our salads as high as we want them, getting condiments like tabasco or steak sauce as soon as we want them and eating for the most part, many of the same food others in the MDR are waiting and waiting for.

Its this kind of tone that bothers me because what doesn't seem to be understood by either side of this is that for some they are not "playing dress up" this is how they are and were raised with strict dress codes. Many though weren't raised with or have chosen to break away from those codes.

I just wish there were a way to handle it without all the snobbery and name calling that seems to happen from both sides of the discussion.

Ultimately we don't know what Carnival's changes will be. We'll just have to see what happens and who decided to look elsewhere for their cruise experience.

I understand your frustration and to a certain extent agree. However, I think that Carnival brought part of it on themselves. I prefer not to have to dress up when I am on vacation but that is just me. I would be happy to eat on the lido deck if that didn't mean giving up lobster and prime rib dinners.

I grew up in a small town where my dad owned the closest thing to a fine dining restaurant. I would never wear jeans in his dining room, but I also had a choice because I could order off the same menu by eating in the lounge.

It's not that I don't own the clothes or know how to wear them, I spent sixteen years working for a bank. I just prefer not to.

I beleive you guys are correct!..... You are in the minority. Take a look around during the next entertainment on your next cruise. Count how many people are not clapping, dancing pr waiving the napkins around. Whether you like it or not, the majority does. I would sincely hope that the beards concentrate on other more important things than dancing singing wait staff.

One of the more important things should be giving the wait staff enough time to serve meals instead of using the time to bump and grind. They only have a limited amount of time so if passengers want the dancing an singing then I should not expect to see the same folks complain about the service.

But maybe all those complaints about slow/poor service that seems to be an ongoing/chronic issue on the forum should be ignored. :rolleyes:

As long as they continue to create the atmosphere of a fast food restaurant in the dining room maybe they will go contemporary with the introduction of "Happy Meals". :eek:

Cheers!

One of the more important things should be giving the wait staff enough time to serve meals instead of using the time to bump and grind. They only have a limited amount of time so if passengers want the dancing an singing then I should not expect to see the same folks complain about the service.

But maybe all those complaints about slow/poor service that seems to be an ongoing/chronic issue on the forum should be ignored. :rolleyes:

As long as they continue to create the atmosphere of a fast food restaurant in the dining room maybe they will go contemporary with the introduction of "Happy Meals". :eek:

Cheers!

But the fact is when they had two person wait teams that didn't have to serve as many tables as the three person teams, it NEVER too two hours to serve meals... and they had time to actually converse with you, and do their entertainment which many love. It adds fun to the dinner. And has nothing to do with the slow service. That comes from cutbacks of how many are taking care of you in the dining room. Trust me, I have been on more than enough cruises to know it can be done. While many don't care to talk with the waiters, I have found it very interesting and nice to share a litte with them, and learn a little about where they are from, and their family waiting at home for them. On my last cruise, the only interaction like this that I had was when I was having breakfast in the buffet. One waiter chatted it up. It was very interesting and I loved chatting with him.

Cheers!

My recollection is they dance during dessert, doubt your not getting your dinner any later. Again, most people enjoy the singing and dancing (or the bump and grind as you disparage it as). Last I looked Carnival has the FUN ships and believe it or not, most think that itis fun. They can improve service and enhance the MDR experience without touching the entertainment. I know you said it in a derogatory manner, but one outcome might be more alternative dinner options.....ala the fast food experience you jest about (don't think it will be in the MDR though.

You mean to tell me you are not one of the majority clapping and waiving your napkin over your head during low, low, low?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on my iPad

We are one of many who know avoid the MDR: dancing waiters, long wait, hard to get a waiters attention, waiters who are unattentive or have a language gap with diners, cold food, dress codes on a vacation, 2 hour meals etc...

for.

You have obviously never eaten in the MDR.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If that's the case, I will be switching over to Royal Caribbean (at least just for solo cruises). Lack of assigned dining is the reason why I won't sail solo on Norwegian. I don't want to feel like a new kid in the school cafeteria at every dinner; in other words, either eat alone or hope someone will be nice enough to let me join their table. Carnival gave me two great solo cruises, and assigned dining was a major contributing factor. So if that goes away, so will I.

Try the studio cabins on Epic, Breakaway, or Getaway. Fabulous experience! I've done three solo cruises on Epic and plan to do more.

Try the studio cabins on Epic, Breakaway, or Getaway. Fabulous experience! I've done three solo cruises on Epic and plan to do more.

I would agree with your appraisal of the studio cabins on the Breakaway. Toured the ship a week ago. Studio cabins were a definite plus. I still can't over that there are only two set of elevators, one forward and one aft....

My wife chats with EVERYONE, when in the buffet for dinner, these are often the things others, as well as us, use to explain why they dine in the buffet.

Everyone in the MDR smiles and claps, BECAUSE the rest of us are in the buffet already, having our meat cut to our thickness in front of us, making our salads as high as we want them, getting condiments like tabasco or steak sauce as soon as we want them and eating for the most part, many of the same food others in the MDR are waiting and waiting for.

maybe the Lido is for you.....that way you can dress whatever way pleases you (you are on your vacation), you can eat in 15 minutes, everyone can understand you (BTW, never in 28 cruises did I have a waitstaff person that could not be understood). Also, unattentive is so wrong< I do'nt know where to begin.:confused:

Sorry you haven't had a good experience in the MDR. Have you ever eaten in the MDR. The MDR experience is a very important part of our cruise experience.

However, to each his own.

maybe the Lido is for you.....that way you can dress whatever way pleases you (you are on your vacation), you can eat in 15 minutes, everyone can understand you (BTW, never in 28 cruises did I have a waitstaff person that could not be understood). Also, unattentive is so wrong< I do'nt know where to begin.:confused:

Sorry you haven't had a good experience in the MDR. Have you ever eaten in the MDR. The MDR experience is a very important part of our cruise experience.

However, to each his own.

Due to a booking snafu, I was relegated to Any Time Dining when the rest of the family wedding was at early seating. Well, we managed to squeeze a chair in at a table for a few nights, but then learned that 2 sisters had been assigned late dining and they hadn't gotten to eat with the rest of the wedding party. I opted for the buffet one night so they could eat with the group. What a WONDERFUL experience!! I got a lovely window table, I could actually hear the ambient music and all this while enjoying a beautiful sunset. If/when I sail Carnival again I might just opt to eat buffet every night as it was such a pleasure to dine in a truly relaxed atmosphere.

Me, too. In fact my plans are to leave the MDR next cruise as soon as the lights go dim. :rolleyes:

When we used to do early seating, we'd always skip dessert so we could duck out before the singing and dancing. Now we do your time dining, go as soon as the dining room opens, and we're out before any dancing/singing begins. We went late one evening on our cruise this past week and planned to order dessert, but the lights dimmed and the music began, and our servers were gone - so we left and had dessert on the lido deck. We have NO interest in watching or participating in the singing and dancing - it's just not remotely fun or entertaining for us.

Due to a booking snafu, I was relegated to Any Time Dining when the rest of the family wedding was at early seating. Well, we managed to squeeze a chair in at a table for a few nights, but then learned that 2 sisters had been assigned late dining and they hadn't gotten to eat with the rest of the wedding party. I opted for the buffet one night so they could eat with the group. What a WONDERFUL experience!! I got a lovely window table, I could actually hear the ambient music and all this while enjoying a beautiful sunset. If/when I sail Carnival again I might just opt to eat buffet every night as it was such a pleasure to dine in a truly relaxed atmosphere.
If that is enjoyable for you then that is great. That is why they offer different options. So that their clientele can dine which ever way you want. It was also nice of you to give them your space.

Archived