Green Island Excursion

I have already posted this on the Ports of Call board but thought I would try here also.;)

I'm trying to gather info on tours that go to Green island. So far, Great Adventures seems to match our needs but I would like to here from those who have used this operator and your experience at Green island. We are leaning toward the Green Island Discovery trip which offers some flexibility with departures to and from the island. We are also considering the optional snorkel trip which Great Adventures offers for an extra fee. Our Queensland cruise will over night in Cairns and we want to go to Green Island the second day, early! Are there any other tour operators that we should be considering? Thanks for any info! :D

Teri

I'll have to have a dig through my records to see who took us to Green Is.

I recall that we had the choice of either snorkelling or a glass bottom boat ride included. We chose the latter.

We also visited a crocodile park on the island. Try to be there at feeding time as they give a very interesting talk.

I do not want to detract from your plans, but several reviews have left Green Island as a poor quality reef. Trip Advisor may be worth looking at for some reviews, but I would recommend the 'Outer reef' if time permits.:D

I started to post a comment earlier in the day then deleted it. :D In recent years I have not been impressed with the reef at Green Island.

To RumPunch Girl - Where else is your cruise going?

I started to post a comment earlier in the day then deleted it. :D In recent years I have not been impressed with the reef at Green Island.

To RumPunch Girl - Where else is your cruise going?

Yeah, we have such a beautiful reef and so much of it, that I would want visitors to see a great part rather than a tourist stop with damaged coral.:D

I have to agree with MicCanberra and Aus Traveller, having visited the outer reef at different locations along the coast as well as Green Island. The day on Green Island was pleasant enough but nothing special. DD commented as well on the poor coral, the generally murky water and the many small jellyfish that were in the water when we were there. We may have just been unlucky though so I also would suggest reading up on Tripadvisor. If there is limited time or you are planning to visit the outer reef on the other day, then it is an option to look at.

Whatever operator you choose. I hope you have a great day.

Having done a similar cruise earlier this year on Rhapsody I would have to agree with the others sort of

We went to green island on the 2nd day at Cairns which was a tour through the ship and we went snorkelling it was ok and also on the glass bottom boat which was ok all in all It was a good day and I would definitely say go there

But I am assuming you have the same sort of itinerary as we had and your next stop would be Airlie beach it was from here that took the ships tour to the outer reef which was a little bit rushed but definitely worth it and I would recommend doing it but don't give up on Green island you will enjoy it

To add to what I posted earlier "murky water and poor coral" would be how I would describe the reef at Green Island.

I have been to many other snorkelling spots off the Australian coast that have been excellent.

Have to say the day we were there the water was clear and yes you are right the coral is average but the op is only asking about Green island and I think it is still worth a visit

Thanks everyone. This is the type of feed back I was looking for.

Aus Traveller - we leave from Sydney, Newcastle, Cairns (overnight), Airle Beach, Brisbane and back to Sydney.

chester32 - we probably have the same itinerary as you did. We are scheduled to arrive in Cairns at 10 am on day 1 and we depart at 5 pm on day 2. I haven't read very many good reviews of the ship excursion out of Airlie Beach. But, if we don't do Green Island, than that is our next option. I was concerned that with the ship's tour, snorkelling would be very crowded and we wouldn't see much because of that reason.

I have 411 days to figure it out. I'll take as much help for all of you as possible!:D Please keep you thoughts suggestions coming!

Thanks,

Teri

Thanks everyone. This is the type of feed back I was looking for.

Aus Traveller - we leave from Sydney, Newcastle, Cairns (overnight), Airle Beach, Brisbane and back to Sydney.

chester32 - we probably have the same itinerary as you did. We are scheduled to arrive in Cairns at 10 am on day 1 and we depart at 5 pm on day 2. I haven't read very many good reviews of the ship excursion out of Airlie Beach. But, if we don't do Green Island, than that is our next option. I was concerned that with the ship's tour, snorkelling would be very crowded and we wouldn't see much because of that reason.

I have 411 days to figure it out. I'll take as much help for all of you as possible!:D Please keep you thoughts suggestions coming!

Thanks,

Teri

Do you have a description of the ship's tour from Airlie Beach? If so, do you mind posting it so I can see what they are offering. I have to mention that I am a travel writer who writes travel guide books.

Is the trip going to a pontoon on Hardy Reef? If so, this is an excellent trip, although not cheap. The reef there is superb and there is plenty of room for a couple of hundred people. The pontoon has an underwater viewing room with an enormous glass wall that looks directly onto the reef. There is also a semi-submersible (not operating the last time we went there) that visitors use to view the reef at no extra cost.

Do you have a description of the ship's tour from Airlie Beach? If so, do you mind posting it so I can see what they are offering. I have to mention that I am a travel writer who writes travel guide books.

Is the trip going to a pontoon on Hardy Reef? If so, this is an excellent trip, although not cheap. The reef there is superb and there is plenty of room for a couple of hundred people. The pontoon has an underwater viewing room with an enormous glass wall that looks directly onto the reef. There is also a semi-submersible (not operating the last time we went there) that visitors use to view the reef at no extra cost.

Yes, I have to agree. The pontoon is great but I suggest only when there is 200 people anymore and they start to run out of snorkeling gear in certain sizes.:D

Teri that's a nice itinerary. i would vote for the Airlie Beach excursion too...there are plenty of options andd you can pick up your own snorkle set in Cairns. With an overnight in Cairns you should do the Kuranda skyway one way and the train the other beautiful photos. Near the Kuranda stop is the aboriginal experience...well worth visiting. You don't need to do the ships thing. I will find the links and post.

Sue

Here is the description from RCI's excursions listed for Airlie Beach. It is 7 hrs. long and the cost is $245 USD. the reason I was hesitant on taking this tour was because I read a lot of unpleasant reviews about this partiular tour. But after reading the replies from Aus Traveller and chester32 I would be more comfortable taking the ship's GBR tour in Airlie Beach.:)

Board your exclusive catamaran for the 2 hour sail to the Great Barrier Reef, a wonder of the natural world. Your destination is a large, floating platform located on the outer reef. This snorkeler’s paradise is home to an abundance of tropical marine life and the colorful coral is breathtakingly beautiful.

Enjoy approximately three hours of free time to indulge in a wide range of activities. Snorkel the famous reef and take a semi sub ride. View the reef from a glass bottom boat, look through the underwater viewing chamber or just relax on the open deck.

Your catamaran is fully equipped with restrooms and will remain moored alongside the pontoon at all times. Both the pontoon and the catamaran have open sundecks and covered areas offering cool shade.

A buffet lunch will be served on the pontoon. Tea and coffee will be available. Other beverages are offered at an additional cost.

Here is the description from RCI's excursions listed for Airlie Beach. It is 7 hrs. long and the cost is $245 USD. the reason I was hesitant on taking this tour was because I read a lot of unpleasant reviews about this partiular tour. But after reading the replies from Aus Traveller and chester32 I would be more comfortable taking the ship's GBR tour in Airlie Beach.:)

Board your exclusive catamaran for the 2 hour sail to the Great Barrier Reef, a wonder of the natural world. Your destination is a large, floating platform located on the outer reef. This snorkeler’s paradise is home to an abundance of tropical marine life and the colorful coral is breathtakingly beautiful.

Enjoy approximately three hours of free time to indulge in a wide range of activities. Snorkel the famous reef and take a semi sub ride. View the reef from a glass bottom boat, look through the underwater viewing chamber or just relax on the open deck.

Your catamaran is fully equipped with restrooms and will remain moored alongside the pontoon at all times. Both the pontoon and the catamaran have open sundecks and covered areas offering cool shade.

A buffet lunch will be served on the pontoon. Tea and coffee will be available. Other beverages are offered at an additional cost.

There is a water slide on the pontoon as well, (if it is the same pontoon).:rolleyes:

Hi Terri

Yes your itinerary is the same as the one we did in march and yes Aus Traveller it is Hardy reef they take you to and can easily cope with a couple hundred or people

I would strongly recommend this trip and advise you do the ships tour private tours will more than likely not get back in time.

The only draw back is the time spent on the catamaran longer than you spend at the reef and it can get a bit rough but nothing to worry about

One thing though is if you happen to wear prescription glasses you can hire prescription snorkel masks on board Rhapsody , which I didn't find out till on the way back:confused:

Just let me know if you have any questions

Hi Terri

Yes your itinerary is the same as the one we did in march and yes Aus Traveller it is Hardy reef they take you to and can easily cope with a couple hundred or people

I would strongly recommend this trip and advise you do the ships tour private tours will more than likely not get back in time.

The only draw back is the time spent on the catamaran longer than you spend at the reef and it can get a bit rough but nothing to worry about

One thing though is if you happen to wear prescription glasses you can hire prescription snorkel masks on board Rhapsody , which I didn't find out till on the way back:confused:

Just let me know if you have any questions

The ships tour has you board the catamaran straight off the ship, so this alos saves time. In addition, the Ship will not leave without you, if the cat is running late.:D

The ships tour is certainly the easy, safe and $$$ option. On our cruise our roll call booked a private tour on the super fast semi inflatable rib to the reef. We had enough people (22 I think) to hire the whole thing and set the timing. Unfortunately the weather in the area had a cyclone and the tour was called off due to the visibility in the water being poor. It was hassle free and we did not have to pay in advance..they were picking us up from the ship. Lots to do in Airlie Beach here is a link you might find helpful..

http://www.airliebeach.com/daytrips/welcome.php

Sue

I haven't been on the boards for a few days so I've just read some of the latest replies.

I'm so excited that I posted on this board! You all have been so helpful. DH and I are travelling with friends on this cruise. I have shared this info about the ship's tour to the GBR. I think we have all agreed to take the ships tour and skip the Green Island idea. My dream has always been to snorkel the GBR so that's what I'm going to do!

chester32 - What was the ride like to and from the pontoon, do they serve beverages (water, soda, tea, coffee)? Are passenger packed shoulder to shoulder on the Cat. or is there room to move around?

Thanks for the heads up about the prescription masks. But DH and I have our own snorkel gear. However, I think we'll leave our flippers at home this trip and just use the ones the tour provides.

MicCanberra - The one great thing about taking the ship's excursions is the fact that the ship won't leave without you! Whenever we feel like private tours are to risky with the time factor, we will do ship tours. Most often we have been able to book our own. But, when we booked a private tour in Grand Caymen, we almost missed the ship! That's a story for another thread!:eek:

rugbypopsie - Thanks for the link. I'll be checking it out soon!

I'll answer one of your questions and hope you don't mind. On the catamaran to Hardy Reef from Airlie Beach there is plenty of room to move around. The bar at the back of the lower deck has tea/coffe and drinks including alcohol (not that you should have one before snorkelling).

This tour isn't available for cruiseship passengers as a privately-booked tour because of the times. The ship's tour takes passengers straight off the ship and delivers them back to there. Private passengers would have to go ashore and take a bus from Airlie Beach to Shute Harbour, by which time the catamaran would have well and truly left.

Enjoy.:)

I was just on the RCI website and logged into My Cruises. I was checking the different excursions offered for my cruise and now they've added a GBR reef excursion out of Cairns! Seriously, it wasn't there last week. However, it's much more expensive than the one out of Airlie Beach. I guess things are forever changing with this cruise so I'll have to keep checking regularly!:rolleyes:

I was just on the RCI website and logged into My Cruises. I was checking the different excursions offered for my cruise and now they've added a GBR reef excursion out of Cairns! Seriously, it wasn't there last week. However, it's much more expensive than the one out of Airlie Beach. I guess things are forever changing with this cruise so I'll have to keep checking regularly!:rolleyes:

You only have to walk down the main street of Cairns to see plenty of reef trips probably substantially less than the ships...you have an overnight in Cairns don't you? If so I would book a private reef trip online. Lots of stuff to do in Airlie...even just a stroll around the nice little town..and the cheap internet cafe.

Sue

Hi Terri

On our trip it was good going out but pretty rough coming back nothing to worry about but if you are prone to seasickness I would suggest to take something .Tea/coffee are available on board (no charge I think) and you can buy beer/wine , lunch is supplied buffet style which was quite nice .You can get up and move around the cat or go out on the rear deck .I would suggest to get down to the departure area on Rhapsody on the morning of the trip so you can get the best seats on the cat as the seats with tables are good and upstairs they have some seats that are more like lounges hope you enjoy

Archived