Queen Victoria Christmas - few questions

Deely

We are booked on QV over Christmas and New Year (our first Cunard cruise)and I was just wondering if anything special happens over the festive period, and should we plan to take anything special for them?

Also, we are scheduled to have a Buccaneer Ball one evening - what kind of dress do people tend to wear on these evenings? Any photo's?

Thanks in advance.

Also, we are scheduled to have a Buccaneer Ball one evening - what kind of dress do people tend to wear on these evenings? Any photo's?

Thanks in advance.

Well, what a question. It is totally up to you, how intense you want to resemble a buccaneer or his girl. This is not a formal event, it's fun!

Deely, very few people actually dress up for these events. It's really only relevant if you plan to go to the Queen's Room after 9:15. One problem, of course, is that if you only have one suitcase then you can't carry enough clothes for dressing up. I haven't been aboard for a Buccaneer's Ball, so I can't advise you on dress if you really want to join in that fun. However, I can reassure you that if it's not your idea of fun, you don't have to participate. Just dress according to the normal dress code of the night.

I made full on pirate costumes for DH and I for a previous cruise when a LOT of the ship participated (staff and guests) that I had planned to bring, then I had second thought's that it being a 'ball' we would look too downmarket so thought I ought to check first! So IF we did partake in dressing up, would we go to dinner in our costumes or would we look hideously out of place and we would be better to get changed after dinner? I guess I don't want to take costumes if we'll feel out of place wearing them, although I don't mind taking them as we always take too many cases anyway:o

We are booked on QV over Christmas and New Year (our first Cunard cruise)and I was just wondering if anything special happens over the festive period, and should we plan to take anything special for them?

Thanks in advance.

The ship will be decorated for Christmas with trees etc. You will get Christmas Dinner (I think this is served at lunch) and there should be a carol concert and may be a service of some kind as well. I think you will also get presents, but as I have not been on board for Christmas, I am not sure what or how these are distributed.

Deely, very few people actually dress up for these events. It's really only relevant if you plan to go to the Queen's Room after 9:15. One problem, of course, is that if you only have one suitcase then you can't carry enough clothes for dressing up. I haven't been aboard for a Buccaneer's Ball, so I can't advise you on dress if you really want to join in that fun. However, I can reassure you that if it's not your idea of fun, you don't have to participate. Just dress according to the normal dress code of the night.

If you still feel to add up some accessoires you may buy them at the special theme ball items sale on the evening.

Dressing up as a pirate seems to be e rather easy task and does not neccessarily ask for a lot of luggage room - not for the ladies at least :-)

Difficulties start when your parrot want's to travel with you and on your shoulder...

I noticed on the WC 2012 that a third of QG dressed up, for the Buccaneer's Ball most of them after dinner, some of them really fancy dressed. It was a lively evening and night, but I lack some records in my upper storage compartement :-o

As far as I remember there was no Buccaneer's Ball on the 2013 Mediterranean-Dubai segment (sensible indeed!), but a live performance south of the Street of Hormuz.

Thanks in advance.

The ship will be dressed up for the holidays,always very tasteful. At the Buccaneer Ball, you may wear the "dresscode" of the night or dress a bit more pirate like. We had a friend who had a "stuffed" parrot on his shoulder, hopefully not the one from the "Monty Python" skit!

The ship will be decorated for Christmas with trees etc. You will get Christmas Dinner (I think this is served at lunch) and there should be a carol concert and may be a service of some kind as well. I think you will also get presents, but as I have not been on board for Christmas, I am not sure what or how these are distributed.
On QM2 we had Christmas dinner in the evening. When we got to our room that evening (on second thought maybe it was Christmas Eve) the gift was on our bed.

I understand that the gifts are different every year but last year's gift on QM2 was a stainless thermos-style bottle with two similar stainless cups, each wrapped in tooled pleather sporting the Cunard logo.

Archived