Thank you to the cruise critic family

LHP

I have been wanting to write this for some time but never knew exactly how to word it.

On the last Blogger's cruise (Breeze Jan. 2013) .... it became apparent that a huge blessing had been given to our family.

As some of you know, we have a son with Autism. And over the years, he had accomplished many "life lesson" milestones thanks to the ability to teach him these tasks in a contained environment.

But it wasn't until the Blogger's Cruise last January that I realized how much our son had changed.

As you may know, individuals with Autism are not known for being comfortable around strangers.

But thanks to the kindness of folks who encouraged him over the years, he has really opened up. He may not return a greeting every time, but he is doing that more and more. And he is even holding entire conversations with cruisers that we have sailed with in the past. (especially if it is a subject that he loves)

When total strangers ask him about his "white card", he will converse with him instead of retreating.

So for those who have cruised with us in the past....THANK YOU.

You will never know the gift you gave him because you were willing to give him the time needed for this accomplishment.

You will forever be in our hearts!

I have been wanting to write this for some time but never knew exactly how to word it.

On the last Blogger's cruise (Breeze Jan. 2013) .... it became apparent that a huge blessing had been given to our family.

As some of you know, we have a son with Autism. And over the years, he had accomplished many "life lesson" milestones thanks to the ability to teach him these tasks in a contained environment.

But it wasn't until the Blogger's Cruise last January that I realized how much our son had changed.

As you may know, individuals with Autism are not known for being comfortable around strangers.

But thanks to the kindness of folks who encouraged him over the years, he has really opened up. He may not return a greeting every time, but he is doing that more and more. And he is even holding entire conversations with cruisers that we have sailed with in the past. (especially if it is a subject that he loves)

When total strangers ask him about his "white card", he will converse with him instead of retreating.

You will never know the gift you gave him because you were willing to give him the time needed for this accomplishment.

Hi Linda, can't wait to see you, David and DJ again. You guys will be on the November Sunshine cruise right?

See you there, Lynda

Hi Linda, can't wait to see you, David and DJ again. You guys will be on the November Sunshine cruise right?

See you there, Lynda

Yes...we will be there...

I was just looking through the Diamond pictures taken onstage at the Repeater's Party and saw the one with y'all....

enjoy Europe....I am OFFICIALLY JEALOUS!!!!!!!!

Since I rarely see DJ's interaction on a cruise (he does not want us to acknowledge him because you know "parents embarrass you"...LOL...if he is walking and sees us, he goes the other way) ... I did not realize just how much he was communicating ....

then several Bloggers mentioned it to me at various times during the BC6... so I made a point to "stalk him" when he wasn't looking and sure enough....

he was talking to folks that he had only met once...two years ago on BC4 (we missed BC5).

I knew he would always go to a Security Guard or Guest Services if he had an issue...and I was just thrilled about that.

He lost his card on a cruise last year and he went to Guest Services and got a new one all by himself. :eek: The only reason I knew is because the new card did not have the hole punched that we use to keep it on his lanyard.

I am so thankful to the folks who he was talking to who knew him well enough to notice a real difference.

Delightful post. Hope to cruise with you someday. I wish I knew the dates & ships you've been on to see if we've cruised together before.

Thanks for posting this! As a big fan of cruising and having a 5 year old Autistic Grandson who travels with us often, we have been afraid to try him on a cruise thus far. At this stage, he's learning and adjusting day by day, so we hope to take him on his first cruise in the next year or two. It is extremely encouraging to hear how well your son has done!!!

Thanks for posting this! As a big fan of cruising and having a 5 year old Autistic Grandson who travels with us often, we have been afraid to try him on a cruise thus far. At this stage, he's learning and adjusting day by day, so we hope to take him on his first cruise in the next year or two. It is extremely encouraging to hear how well your son has done!!!

We started cruising with DJ when he was 6. He is now 22 .

Back then, they just did not know much about Autism. All they really knew was "Rainman" .

I am so thankful that now they have early intervention. That is so important.

DJ also has a genetic muscular disorder. He has been in physical therapy since he was 9 months old. We had to teach I'm how to roll over, sit up, crawl...then leg braces to teach him to walk.

We were so focused on the physical....we missed the red flags for the

Autism.

But he is a walking dude now. He does kinda bounce when he walks.....but he does some walking. He is over 6 ft and weights 105 pounds. Always wears that NASCAR hat. (Usually Dale Earnhardt Sr). Number 3 ....

LOL..love the Hat story...that is a dude thing!! From a 3 year old newer cowboy to my 79 year old dad... Thanks so for sharing..so happy for you..have had a girlfriend with slight Asbergers and her son worse..this is a dear story..and thank you for your tidbits over the years...especially MUSIC!!

Much love thanks for sharing, Sarah

Most people do not know that Bill Gates has mild Asperger's Syndrome (which is why he seems to be uncomfortable in social situations sometimes).

We were so blessed to have been given the opportunity to cruise enough to use cruising as teaching tool in a contained environment.

With DJ being high functioning and very well behaved, so this had afforded him the privilege of being "a normal kid" on a cruise ship.

But the kindness of total strangers that has brought such joy into his life because they shared their time and attention is priceless!!

Also check into Autism on the Seas.

They are a travel agency that specializes in assisting individuals with all kinds of Autism.

While they do have group cruises....they can book any cruise line on any cruise for you and get the accommodations that you need.

We have never used them, because we had Carnival pretty much figured out by the time Autism on the Seas came along....but I have heard wonderful things about them.

Most people do not know that Bill Gates has mild Asperger's Syndrome (which is why he seems to be uncomfortable in social situations sometimes).

We were so blessed to have been given the opportunity to cruise enough to use cruising as teaching tool in a contained environment.

With DJ being high functioning and very well behaved, so this had afforded him the privilege of being "a normal kid" on a cruise ship.

But the kindness of total strangers that has brought such joy into his life because they shared their time and attention is priceless!!

I so understand this...God's world of love is astounding through strangers.

And thanks for mentioning Bill Gates..I did not know and that makes sense..my friend had an anger side too..that she worked so hard on and harder with her son...born of the sheer frustration..it is really hard to understand that for others..deeply..and so glad cruises give/gave perfect place for hope and growth..just even that gentle floating forward..I love that feeling on a ship..and it eases into your mind about all worries..Sarah

I so understand this...God's world of love is astounding through strangers.

And thanks for mentioning Bill Gates..I did not know and that makes sense..my friend had an anger side too..that she worked so hard on and harder with her son...born of the sheer frustration..it is really hard to understand that for others..deeply..and so glad cruises give/gave perfect place for hope and growth..just even that gentle floating forward..I love that feeling on a ship..and it eases into your mind about all worries..Sarah

Parents also need to understand that when their children start to go through puberty, you can have rage issues.

We were warned about this as soon as our son was properly diagnosed...(another LONG story) and used the "mask system" .

The "mask system" is where the children teach themselves to hold the rage in until they get to a designated "release" adult.

For us, it was my husband or I. Thankfully our son was able to "hold it" until he got home. For children who can not, it can be a guidance counselor....etc.

Please know that this stage will pass. Our son is now 22 and the only time he gets riled up is if someone "dares" to bump Dale Earnhardt Jr on the racetrack.

(Of course, Dale Jr can bump or wreck anyone he wants to.....LOL)

Parents also need to understand that when their children start to go through puberty, you can have rage issues.

We were warned about this as soon as our son was properly diagnosed...(another LONG story) and used the "mask system" .

The "mask system" is where the children teach themselves to hold the rage in until they get to a designated "release" adult.

For us, it was my husband or I. Thankfully our son was able to "hold it" until he got home. For children who can not, it can be a guidance counselor....etc.

Please know that this stage will pass. Our son is now 22 and the only time he gets riled up is if someone "dares" to bump Dale Earnhardt Jr on the racetrack.

(Of course, Dale Jr can bump or wreck anyone he wants to.....LOL)

LOL that is great...sarah

Linda.....DJ is a delight to cruise with as is your whole family....I'm always thrilled to know that you guys will be on the ship (mostly the Bloggers cruises)....and I'm very sad that you won't be on BC7.....

DJ has grown into a remarkable young man...I first sailed with him when he was a young teenager......and have been very fortunate to have become recognizable to him, so that he often says hello and sometimes even engages me in a brief discussion about sports.....He is so confident in his surroundings and is a remarkable example of ones potential.

Archived