I-Phones on Ship

TNIris

If I turn my I-phone to airplane mode, can I still use the apps on my phone without using data (for instance, I have a carb counting app :))

Also, can we still text the kids back and forth, I guess it would be in "I-message" mode?

We are so dumb about smart phones! :rolleyes:

I just do NOT want to rack up any international data! :eek:

We have Sprint, by the way, not sure if that matters.

If I turn my I-phone to airplane mode, can I still use the apps on my phone without using data (for instance, I have a carb counting app :))
If the app makes a connection to a server, then it will not work

Also, can we still text the kids back and forth, I guess it would be in "I-message" mode?
Nope. Since it uses a data connection, it will not work at all.

The price for data at sea is completely outrageous. You can use the WiFi in the phone on the ship if you pay for the internet, but that will also cost you much more than you probably want to pay.

Yes aplications will still work, if they do not need internet access, Imessage will also need internet access either from the ship or from your phone service, as you know can be quite expensive.

Edited by Bosjoe

Simple way to find out. Throw that puppy in airplane mode right now and give your apps a try. That's what my wife did, but then, she's a lot smarter than me...

I just tried and nothing works other than the apps that do not have to connect to the Internet. Also I called my number and no calls or voicemail or text comes through while in Airplane mode.

Just turn off cellular data - you'll find it in settings, general, cellular! Turn off your answering machine before you leave too! That way you can still text people if necessary but your apps will be offline.

Ditto what cflower said. Also, tell your folks back home not to call or text you unless it's an emergency. i have at&t and they have an international texting plan we usually get so we can stay in touch with the kids on the ship. it's $20 for 50 texts per phone. by turning off cell data & voice mail and only using text we have never had any surprise charges.

If you do take your phone you can use it in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands if your ship goes there. Sprint (and most carriers I would assume) consider US territories as part of your domestic package.

I believe Verizon is an exception. I don't think Verizon includes the USVI as part of their domestic plan.

Still take your iPhone though - best thing we did was to use it as an alarm clock in-cabin. You can't read the time on the phone from across the room. ;):)

Makes for a nice little camera thats easily carried around as well :)

Ditto what cflower said. Also' date=' tell your folks back home not to call or text you unless it's an emergency. i have at&t and they have an international texting plan we usually get so we can stay in touch with the kids on the ship. it's $20 for 50 texts per phone. by turning off cell data & voice mail and only using text we have never had any surprise charges.[/quote']

I know how to turn cellular data off but how do you turn off voice mail?

Thanks guys this thread was very helpful. I just got an IPhone and I'm still learning how to use it. My DD is abroad right now (Semester at Sea) and has her phone on airplane mode for the entire voyage. We downloaded a free App called Viber that will work over WiFi. She can call and text me while she's away. We both have to have the App on our cell phones though for it to work. But only if she finds WiFi. That may work for us cruisers while off the ship in port, if you can find WiFi. But most likely won't on the ship from what everyone is posting. Thanks for the information and OP for posting the question/thread. Happy Cruising!

Edited by Annefran

I know how to turn cellular data off but how do you turn off voice mail?

Youll have to call your carrier but I see no reason to do that whatsoever.

Ive cruised with my Iphone twice now and Ive never had voicemail disabled. Just put it in airplane mode and youll have no worries. I had 6 voicemails when I got back to Pt Canaveral.

I also have never turned off Cellular Data either.

Data Roaming should be turned off by default. That is what will rack up major charges.

Ditto what cflower said. Also' date=' tell your folks back home not to call or text you unless it's an emergency. i have at&t and they have an international texting plan we usually get so we can stay in touch with the kids on the ship. it's $20 for 50 texts per phone. by turning off cell data & voice mail and only using text we have never had any surprise charges.[/quote']

Ah... Things are different here in Ireland. Regardless of where I am with my phone, it doesn't cost me to receive texts. I only get charged for outgoing texts. Phone calls are different though!

Youll have to call your carrier but I see no reason to do that whatsoever.

Ive cruised with my Iphone twice now and Ive never had voicemail disabled. Just put it in airplane mode and youll have no worries. I had 6 voicemails when I got back to Pt Canaveral.

I also have never turned off Cellular Data either.

Data Roaming should be turned off by default. That is what will rack up major charges.

You are exactly right and that is why I posted this earlier that I did what somebody suggested and put my iphone in airplane mode and tried everything including calling the phone and letting it go to voice mail! Everybody is giving all these suggestions but all you have to do is put it in airplane mode now:

I just tried and nothing works other than the apps that do not have to connect to the Internet. Also I called my number and no calls or voicemail or text comes through while in Airplane mode.

Verizon worked in all USVI and Puerto Rico.

While it works, I think verizon still sees Puerto Rico as international. Been through this for a while, since we visit there quite a bit. May have changed recently, but for a while, the only carriers who saw them as part of a US package was at&t and sprint.

Took our iphone on our last cruise. Love having it. Never for calling, but good schedule, camera, and note taking. that, and the RCI app lets you download deck plans, so that you can have them and not be hooked up.

Edited by alfaeric