Phone #111-111-1111 ???

So, I'm leaving this Saturday for the Allure. Today at work, my cell phone rings, the number is 111-111-1111. Suspicious, but, I answered it and a recording said, "I have an important message about your upcoming cruise. To hear this message, press 1". It didn't say this is RCI, so, I said, "Hell, no" and hung up. Immediately, I start getting text messages of the number 89631 from this number. The texts are coming every 3 seconds. I shut off my phone several times, even took the battery out and every time I turned it back on, the texts were still coming. Finally, I called Virgin Mobile and they blocked the number. So far, I haven't heard back.

So, my question is, who is this, how did they get my cell# and how in the hell did they know I'm going on a cruise? I am not one of these people who use their cell as their primary number, it is for emergencies only. RCI and Usair have the number because they may need to contact me this weekend. Has anybody else had this happen, it's kind of scary?

Do not worry. It is RCI telling you to not come to the port before 12:30. Everyone gets this or an email. You have to acknowledge to stop these calls. Mine came by email. Others are getting the phone calls or text. I am on the OAsis this weekend and we all got this call.

When RCI has called me before, it has been from an 800 number. Did they call you from this 111 number? Why would they send me hundreds, thousands of texts? If this is true, I think I need OBC to calm my nerves! :D

I live alone and I don't even tell my neighbors when I go away, just the one who feeds my cat!

Hi,

There is a website : www.whocallsme.com. I just looked up that number and there are many others complaining of random calls from this location. There are similar number checking sites out there.

Yes, I googled the number immediately, saw that it is a ghost number for when people don't want you to know who it is. What shocked me is the reference to the cruise.

I did check my email just now and I did get the message about check-in, had to click on it to acknowledge I received it. Why not send me a text that said that, instead of 89631,89631,89631.....I told my coworkers maybe God sent me the number and while on the cruise, they would say, what is the zip code for peoria or something and I would shout out 89631 and win a million dollars! :D

When RCI has called me before, it has been from an 800 number. Did they call you from this 111 number? Why would they send me hundreds, thousands of texts? If this is true, I think I need OBC to calm my nerves! :D

I live alone and I don't even tell my neighbors when I go away, just the one who feeds my cat!

Sorry, but they don't stop until you acknowledge that you have received it.

I am traveling with a large group and we all got either text, calls, or emails yesterday for our cruise this weekend.

I am traveling with a large group and we all got either text, calls, or emails yesterday for our cruise this weekend.

I was standing in line at Office Max when my phone rang yesterday. I saw it was from that 111 number, so ignored it. Later, I saw the text, so simply answered yes I received the message. I thought it was a crank call, or spam, too. When my sister said she had a call come in at the exact same time, it was too coincidental.

Humph!!:mad: Well, I acknowledged it, but, I don't appreciate it. As I said, my phone is for emergencies only and I pay by the text! Every time I turned it on, I had 50 new texts, this went on for hours! Oh well, I guess I will have to eat enough on the cruise to make up for the lost money! ;) I plan on doing a semi- live review so stay tuned for that. And to paraphrase Leonardo in Titanic, Royal Caribbean is going to get a strongly worded letter! :D

I was standing in line at Office Max when my phone rang yesterday. I saw it was from that 111 number, so ignored it. Later, I saw the text, so simply answered yes I received the message. I thought it was a crank call, or spam, too. When my sister said she had a call come in at the exact same time, it was too coincidental.

Thanks, that's reassuring! So, you got the message 89631 and you knew what that meant and responded to it? Are you a cop or something? We've got an 89631 in progress. Yes, I'm here at the Office Max, I'll respond to that immediately. :)

.....I told my coworkers maybe God sent me the number and while on the cruise, they would say, what is the zip code for peoria or something and I would shout out 89631 and win a million dollars! :D
8931 is not a valid US Zip Code, but is valid for Ibicuí, Brazil or Mykulivtsi and neaby locales in Ukraine.

Ut-Oh - maybe I play to much trivia:rolleyes:

That entire notification system is probably outsourced, and called ID has no verification system so companies can program their phone system to report whatever they want (number and company name).

I agree they should do something more professional, but the truth is that this is more common than you might think. I've seen a number of companies use Skype for calls from their call centers and those calls all appear to come from the same number.

Just remember that even a legitimate looking caller ID value can easily be faked, even out of your home if you know how to do it.

I work in IT, specifically in telecom. With many modern phone systems (specifically Voice over IP) you can enter a number that you want your phone to display to caller ID when you are programming the line. I work with Cisco phone systems. I know Carnival uses Cisco, and RCI might very well, too. It's easy for them to mask the actual number by putting 111-111-1111 in that field.

Humph!!:mad: Well, I acknowledged it, but, I don't appreciate it. As I said, my phone is for emergencies only and I pay by the text! Every time I turned it on, I had 50 new texts, this went on for hours! Oh well, I guess I will have to eat enough on the cruise to make up for the lost money! ;) I plan on doing a semi- live review so stay tuned for that. And to paraphrase Leonardo in Titanic, Royal Caribbean is going to get a strongly worded letter! :D

If you didn't read all the text you shouldn't be charged. My dad pays by the text as well and he gets them all the time even though he doesn't even know how to open one. I delete them about once a week. He has never been charged. Hope this is the case for you.

If you didn't read all the text you shouldn't be charged. My dad pays by the text as well and he gets them all the time even though he doesn't even know how to open one. I delete them about once a week. He has never been charged. Hope this is the case for you.

Thanks, Virgin Mobile couldn't see the texts when I talked to them yesterday, maybe that means I won't be charged. :)

I received an email yesterday from RC and acknowledged the notice. Later I got 7 text messages within 1 minute. I have to pay for text messages as it is not part of my plan so that cost me $1.40 cents.

I was not happy about the texts.

I received an email yesterday from RC and acknowledged the notice. Later I got 7 text messages within 1 minute. I have to pay for text messages as it is not part of my plan so that cost me $1.40 cents.

I was not happy about the texts.

My friend, Nat! Maybe they have a grudge against those of us on the Allure this weekend! At the Hyatt, we can work on that "strongly worded letter". :D

Archived