Huge price discrepency

petermack

I meant asking people face to face when I was actually on a ship, so as not to fall foul of any forum rules, but thanks :)
- No problem :)

Join the CC Roll Call and the Meet/Mingle you will be in excellent company for advice and recommendations from true Cruise Professionals. Also you will meet some very nice people. ;-)

Happy Cruising!:D

Agree, I've asked this question many times to the posters that quote you're better protected. If you only book the cruise element i.e. flights and everything else separately, what more protection do you get than any other citizen that books just the cruise? If you've got adequate travel insurance and have paid with a credit card, what other protection is the UK TA going to give you if you've not booked the 'package' with them?

As previously quoted, look at the US T&C, much better than ours.

Port Royal - I'll add to that list:

- Are able to change to another available cabin in the same category if you book a guarantee and don't like what you're issued.

- Upgrade after final payment to a higher category (even after price drops)

- Price drops honoured

Concur, the list goes on and on.

Another "Possible" reason. One of the requirements of being members of ATOL and ABTA is that the travel agent, airlines (British in particular) and any other holiday provider can prove they are credit worthy. Guess who provide their credit worthiness?

Another "Possible" reason. One of the requirements of being members of ATOL and ABTA is that the travel agent, airlines (British in particular) and any other holiday provider can prove they are credit worthy. Guess who provide their credit worthiness?

Correct me if I am wrong - I thought in the USA it was Law that the Cruise Deposit goes directly to the Cruise Line and the agent receives the commission after the cruise has been taken.

In my experience, the USA agent works for the interest of the client. However in the UK, it would appear that most Agents work for the Cruise Line or themselves.

any other holiday provider can prove they are credit worthy.

- Do you include the Cruise Lines when booking direct? The Cruise Lines are the same in all countries.

The Cruise Lines offices in the USA offer better deals to USA clients, even when booking direct, compared to the UK - Somebody in the UK is making some serious money!

Correct me if I am wrong - I thought in the USA it was Law that the Cruise Deposit goes directly to the Cruise Line and the agent receives the commission after the cruise has been taken.

In my experience, the USA agent works for the interest of the client. However in the UK, it would appear that most Agents work for the Cruise Line or themselves.

- Do you include the Cruise Lines when booking direct? The Cruise Lines are the same in all countries.

The Cruise Lines offices in the USA offer better deals to USA clients, even when booking direct, compared to the UK - Somebody in the UK is making some serious money!

With the TA I have used, the TA takes the deposit payment. I don't know if they give the payment to the cruise line straight away or not. If you pay your balance before the deadline, the TA will hold the payment before giving it to the cruise line (at least that is what I would expect). The cruise line may take the payment minus the commission, but I don't know the process.

And yes, if you book direct with the cruise line, the cruise line will need to prove its credit worthiness to ABTA in order to retain its membership.

2 situations off the top of my head in which booking from the Eu provides more protection (as I understand it, which could be wrong-I am no expert):

1. There is a mechanical/weather issue that forces the cruise to end early. Possibly even in a different port.

The line is not required by US law to do a whole lot for you. Most will, for PR purposes, but they are not held to much of a standard.

My credit card would not protect me much in such a case (if at all). Insurance probably would, if I bought it (but it is pricey and we know the risk we take and do not buy it).

Booking in the EU, I do not have to stress. I know they are responsible, legally, for getting me and all my belongings home and I'll get my money back for the cruise that did not happen, etc.

2. On another line, a cruise was sol as a charter and prior bookings cancelled about 5 months out. There were people who had already bought flights from Australia for that cruise. The line was not legally required to pay ANY change fees for them, etc and initially refused (though they did change after much pressure). We were also given precious few other options where they would honor the price paid for the bookings (4 other weeks). At that time, you could only book that line through US agents (no longer the case). I am pretty sure that the line would have to be more accommodating about providing somethign else for an equivalent price, refunding airfare change fees or cancellation fees, etc in such a case, if booked from the EU.

Also if you pay by Credit Card for a flight or Cruise and it goes bust, your contract for the Flight/Cruise is with the Credit Card Company. Therefore, you have a right to a refund from the Credit Card Company. Just re-book a flight/Cruise.

ABTA may be obliged to get you back, but as/when they deem it possible.

Have booked for years via the USA and never had any problems. As previous posters state you get access to price drop with refunds or upgrade. Plus I think you can change a booking up to 60 days without loss of deposit.

Unlike the UK -

Change? - OK - Deposit Lost

Celebrity 123 - Sorry no only USA

Free Grats - Sorry no - only the USA

Pick a Perk - Sorry no - Only the USA

Free - Specialty Dining - Sorry No - Only the USA

The list goes on and on!

Hmm, we see DIFFERENT specials in Germany, but we still get them. We have gratuities covered on our upcoming cruise, have had higher discounts, seen kids sail free offers, etc.

With the TA I have used, the TA takes the deposit payment. I don't know if they give the payment to the cruise line straight away or not. If you pay your balance before the deadline, the TA will hold the payment before giving it to the cruise line (at least that is what I would expect). The cruise line may take the payment minus the commission, but I don't know the process.

And yes, if you book direct with the cruise line, the cruise line will need to prove its credit worthiness to ABTA in order to retain its membership.

- We are talking about the USA offices

This thread have now enveloped the price and benefits differentials between the UK and USA - Looking forward one is getting the feeling that the days of an independent Travel Agents are numbered.

Also, in my opinion only, unless the UK contemplates giving prices and benefits on a par with the USA, the UK Travel Agents will hemorrhage even more business than they currently experience.

Just look a flyers from the USA who are reducing the use of UK airports because of higher airport taxes than Netherlands, France and Belgium.

In these economic times the Bang for the Buck is King!

2 situations off the top of my head in which booking from the Eu provides more protection (as I understand it, which could be wrong-I am no expert):

1. There is a mechanical/weather issue that forces the cruise to end early. Possibly even in a different port.

The line is not required by US law to do a whole lot for you. Most will, for PR purposes, but they are not held to much of a standard.

My credit card would not protect me much in such a case (if at all). Insurance probably would, if I bought it (but it is pricey and we know the risk we take and do not buy it).

Booking in the EU, I do not have to stress. I know they are responsible, legally, for getting me and all my belongings home and I'll get my money back for the cruise that did not happen, etc.

2. On another line, a cruise was sol as a charter and prior bookings cancelled about 5 months out. There were people who had already bought flights from Australia for that cruise. The line was not legally required to pay ANY change fees for them, etc and initially refused (though they did change after much pressure). We were also given precious few other options where they would honor the price paid for the bookings (4 other weeks). At that time, you could only book that line through US agents (no longer the case). I am pretty sure that the line would have to be more accommodating about providing somethign else for an equivalent price, refunding airfare change fees or cancellation fees, etc in such a case, if booked from the EU.

Hmm, we see DIFFERENT specials in Germany, but we still get them. We have gratuities covered on our upcoming cruise, have had higher discounts, seen kids sail free offers, etc.

Yes we are one expensive island.

As a guide - I was offered a cruise from the UK. The UK travel Agent offered the UK price of £1600.00 per person with zero additionals. The USA Travel Agent offered the USA per person price of $1600.00 + the USA Agent offered Celebrity 123 package + 1 Specialty meal for two per stateroom.

This was on a like for like Cruise - Guess who our party booked with!:D;)

I'm not sure about it being law... but our US agent paid dep and balance directly to the cruise line. RCI appeared on my statement.

My guess it is the cruise lines... No matter which online agent you use in the UK, the cruise prices are always the same. The same is true with US online agents, but as people have discovered, their prices for the same cruise are often cheaper (but not always) plus additional perks to sweeten the deal.

I believe you will find most UK travellers take out insurance because the TAs sell it at the same time as booking the package. We would never travel without it.

For examples, I will quote you our personal experience during Hurricane Irene:

We actually booked our cruise and transport independently on a New England sailing. Unfortunately, when we arrived back in NY all the airports were closed. Luckily, as previously quoted, we had booked our own hotels, transport etc. Those pax that had booked with the cruiseline had to stay on the ship, travel back up to Canada with a hurricane on their backside and pay for the privilege of staying on the ship. They were then flown on various dates back to the UK. All had to reclaim from their insurance the extra money they had paid once they returned.

So, it can work both ways. I just thank goodness we had arranged our own 'package'.

Also in the UK, TAs are no longer giving discounts etc., much like the US all quoting the same cost. However, in many instances the prices quoted are the same in sterling as they are in $ - check it out on some of the comparison sites ;). $899 sounds an awful lot better than £899, especially when they offer free grats or OBC too!

Archived