Experience traveler to hawaii

foxcent

I am not cruising to the island but can anyone shed any light on what is the best island to travel to....Big Island, Oahu etc......Looking for an inexclusive and a just a good island to stay on, will be the 1st time traveling to Hawaii. or if anyone know of a good website to go to learn more informaion.

I hope this question is ok to ask on here I know my cruise critics are loaded with information and will get you the answer you need....

An "inexclusive"? What does that mean? "All inclusive"? If that what you mean, I am not aware of any all inclusive resorts in Hawaii.

Have been to Hawaii over 20 times. Without knowing your interests, hard to make any recommendations for you. A little reading on the board will give you a lot of info on sights and activities on each island, along with guide books you could get.

Probably lesson one would be understanding the different personalities of each island. Oahu, particularly Waikiki, will be the nightlife, 24/7 go-go type location, although North Oahu is pretty rural and laid back.

Kauai is the most laid back and rural, followed by the Big Island of Hawaii. The Big Island has the major attraction of the volcanos.

Maui is a mixture or rural and city, of activities and laid back, a good blend we feel, and Maui is our favorite. It is the best whale watching location in the whale season (Dec-April).

You might give some thought to staying 3-5 days on one island and 3-5 on another. Going island to island is not hard.

All of the islands are great ... I would start with one of the 4 main ones - Oahu, Maui, Kauai or the Island of Hawaii (aka Big Island.) Cruise Critic's 'sister-site' Tripadvisor is a good forum for land travel. Here's the link to the main Hawaii forum - at the right, have a look at the link "Summary of each Island" - it's at the top right side of that page.

If you post there to ask about what the best island is to visit, include information on your interests (hiking, snorkelling, sightseeing, beaches, active volcano, Pearl Harbor....), when you're thinking of going and for how long. That info will help with recommendations on which island to visit.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them ... we've enjoyed each one, but if I had to choose one for a first time visit, I would probably suggest Maui, with maybe a couple of days at the beginning or end of the trip in Waikiki (to see Pearl Harbor and a few other highlights on Oahu.)

I agree Cruiser Bruce, each Hawaiian Islands has different attractions.

You will understand after leave Waikiki & travel around the Island of O'ahu

to visit Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u, the Lanikai (nice beach). I liked the northern

surfing beaches - Sunset, Waimea, and even the surfing town (shops etc) of

Hale'iwa is well worthy of a visit. The Dole Plantation is okay, a bit touristy, then after you drive past Schofield Barracks, down towards Honolulu (again worthy a walking tour)

When driving from Waikiki over the Pali Highway, stop at the summit, to view the area where one of the Hawaiian Chiefs drove his enemy off to their deaths.

One of my favourite places is the Pu'uhonua o H'onaunau National Historical Park, on the big island of Hawaii - definiately do an organised tour here, as the guide will explain so much about the place. I have been studying the Polynesians as to where they migrated from, and how they sailed across vast tracks of ocean to colonise other islands. (If you interested read about Lapita)

I say do at least two islands ... one of them being the Island of Lanai, with a stay at the Lodge of Koele. It is a great getaway from the hub-bub of the world, with some country charm.

Not knowing your interests, this is a hard subject to approach.

Chuck

Chuck, your handle brings back many memories of that island. Been twice and still think it is the most beautiful one of the chain. Loved the rustic settings.

I am not cruising to the island but can anyone shed any light on what is the best island to travel to....Big Island, Oahu etc......Looking for an inexclusive and a just a good island to stay on, will be the 1st time traveling to Hawaii. or if anyone know of a good website to go to learn more informaion.

I hope this question is ok to ask on here I know my cruise critics are loaded with information and will get you the answer you need....

You don't mention, how much time you have? Head to your library and make a selection on what island/s are of the most interest to you. Then plan your trip around that. :)

I would suggest not considering any less than 3/4+++ days at one place. Flights between the islands are reasonable and frequent.

An "inexclusive"? What does that mean? "All inclusive"? If that what you mean, I am not aware of any all inclusive resorts in Hawaii.

Have been to Hawaii over 20 times. Without knowing your interests, hard to make any recommendations for you. A little reading on the board will give you a lot of info on sights and activities on each island, along with guide books you could get.

Probably lesson one would be understanding the different personalities of each island. Oahu, particularly Waikiki, will be the nightlife, 24/7 go-go type location, although North Oahu is pretty rural and laid back.

Kauai is the most laid back and rural, followed by the Big Island of Hawaii. The Big Island has the major attraction of the volcanos.

Maui is a mixture or rural and city, of activities and laid back, a good blend we feel, and Maui is our favorite. It is the best whale watching location in the whale season (Dec-April).

You might give some thought to staying 3-5 days on one island and 3-5 on another. Going island to island is not hard.

Yes CruiserBruce I meant all inclusive.....You have giving me some great answers, we want laid back but we also want to do some major attractions as well being this is our 1st time....My husband likes to tour and see attractions all I care to do is find a beach and chill with a nice view and a book....

All of the islands are great ... I would start with one of the 4 main ones - Oahu, Maui, Kauai or the Island of Hawaii (aka Big Island.) Cruise Critic's 'sister-site' Tripadvisor is a good forum for land travel. Here's the link to the main Hawaii forum - at the right, have a look at the link "Summary of each Island" - it's at the top right side of that page.

If you post there to ask about what the best island is to visit, include information on your interests (hiking, snorkelling, sightseeing, beaches, active volcano, Pearl Harbor....), when you're thinking of going and for how long. That info will help with recommendations on which island to visit.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them ... we've enjoyed each one, but if I had to choose one for a first time visit, I would probably suggest Maui, with maybe a couple of days at the beginning or end of the trip in Waikiki (to see Pearl Harbor and a few other highlights on Oahu.)

Thank you Susan-M for the link, this may be very helpful for me and the information you have shared... The other thing I need to know is the expensive of the hotel/lodging on the islands of Hawaii???

You don't mention, how much time you have? Head to your library and make a selection on what island/s are of the most interest to you. Then plan your trip around that. :)

I would suggest not considering any less than 3/4+++ days at one place. Flights between the islands are reasonable and frequent.

Thank you Budget Queen It will be over a 2 weeks span, so will at least would like to try 2 islands.....Any cost you can share on the flight prices or the lodgining????

Here is a good website

http://www.gohawaii.com/

Hotels range from $150 on up for decent lodging on any of the islands. You could possibly rent a house for $100 a night (which is what we did on the Big Island from VRBO dot com).

Looks like Interisland airfare is around $90 but you might get a better deal if you combine with your airfare from the mainland. Hawaiian Airlines has a lot of packages on their website, or you could look at Pleasant Hawaiian website, they also have a lot of packages.

Oahu has the most noted sites (for hubby). Pearl Harbor (as well as lots of other WW II sites), Waikiki, North Shore, Sea Life Center, Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond Head, etc. And there are a couple of really nice places at Waikiki Beach for you (Hilton Hawaiian Village or Illikai).

Big Island has Kilauea and Volcano National Park and Parker Ranch (inland).

All of the islands are driver friendly, but parking can be a problem and the hotels even charge to park your car there. Be prepared for what they call a "resort fee" of about $20 per day.

Hawaii is not a cheap destination, but then neither is Tahiti or Fiji and at least Hawaii is in the U.S.

Archived