Insurance question

Thebes

Was wondering if you could buy insurance for evacuation and repatriation anytime all the way to a few days before cruise depart or only before final payment. Note : I'm buying ins on my own with the help of insure my trip dot com site. Thank you in advance.

Was wondering if you could buy insurance for evacuation and repatriation anytime all the way to a few days before cruise depart or only before final payment. Note : I'm buying ins on my own with the help of insure my trip dot com site. Thank you in advance.

Some other posts on this topic:

FWIW, Travel Guard offers medical and emergency evacuation insurance on an annual plan. If you go on several trips a year it might be more cost effective to buy that, it covers you for an unlimited number of trips over the 12 month period of the policy.

Coverages & Benefit Limits

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES

$50000.00 Per Insured

ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT

$25000.00 Per Insured

CONCIERGE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS

100% Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

SECURITY ASSISTANCE SERVICES

Included Per Insured

SECURITY EVACUATION

$100000.00 Per Insured

TRAVEL MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

WORLD WIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE

Included Per Insured

The price is based on your age, etc. I'm 64 and it cost me $220.50 for one year.

Disclaimer: I'm just posting this for informational purposes, I'm not really recommending this company as I have no experience of ever filing a claim with them. And (needless to say) I hope I never have to.

Note: Travel Guard offers it on a per trip basis too.

As one who spent over thirty years in the Health Insurance business, we are often shocked at how many folks have no clue to their own medical coverage. It is true that Medicare gives absolutely no coverage outside the USA (with two very minor exceptions). Medicare Supplemental policies vary as to whether they will extend coverage outside the US so you need to carefully check your policy. Some do provide international coverage (although you might have to pay the bill and later seek reimbursement) and other policies have no coverage. The Trip Insurance policies sold by nearly all cruise lines are woefully inadequate when it comes to Medical. There are many decent travel med policies, including annual policies that will cover all your trips in an entire year. DW and I carry one such policy (HTH Gold) which gives us $250,000 in medical coverage plus $500,000 in emergency evacuation coverage for an entire year. This policy covers every trip we take during the year up to the first 75 days (per trip) and it only costs us $350.00 per year (total for the two of us). AMEX also has a similar travel med policy for their card holders (we were unhappy because it only covered the first 60 days of a trip) and there are other policy choices. As has been mentioned, you can compare various policies on insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com.

Hank

Thank you for you advice here. I just learned I cannot get HTH Gold in my state. (I'll never understand this state by state thing!) Anyway, I did find something similar, so will be checking that out further. For DH and I the entire year coverage makes a lot of sense.

Keep looking as there are other options (that hopefully can be sold in your state). The state by state licensing requirements have driven the healthcare industry nuts for many years. Most of it is political...and a darn shame. If you have an American Express card their annual policy might work for your needs (you need to carefully review any policy before you buy). There is also an annual policy offered by GeoBlue. As we mentioned in the other post, take a look at both insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com and compare the options.

Hank

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904557&highlight=insurance

Another thing you might look into is MedJetAssist for medical evacuation/repatriation. It's not insurance .... it's a membership thing that covers you when you are traveling and are over 150 miles from home and are hospitalized. If you belong to AARP, and purchase a membership via the AARP website, there is a discount.

I initially joined for just one TA cruise, but after that cruise I booked 2 additional TAs and a Caribbean cruise, and decided it made more sense to get an annual membership.

Perhaps reading the descriptive info of how it works might be worth your time.

BTW, I still buy the cruiseline insurance for the medical expense coverage as well as the cancellation coverage for every cruise. While some will disagree with the wisdom of that, it meets my comfort level needs, as I have a pre-existing condition.

Per their website, HTH = Highway to Health.

I didn't see the "gold" designation on any of their policies, but I might have missed it.

http://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/index.cfm

This travel insurance looks appealing to those of us that cruise multiple times per year and aren`t concerned with insuring the costs of the cruise, wanting medical coverage only.

This travel insurance looks appealing to those of us that cruise multiple times per year and aren`t concerned with insuring the costs of the cruise, wanting medical coverage only.

That is us.

We never insure the price of the trip but always are sure to have medical out of the country and evac/repat coverage.

I always get insurance within a week of booking a cruise in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered.

I'm not sure how close to departure insurance can be purchased.

• 9 months later...

FWIW, well it is time to renew and I just found out that Travel Guard no longer offers a medical and emergency evacuation insurance on an annual plan. I'm now looking into one of GeoBlue's Trekker plans.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-compare-plans.cfm

The good news is that are cheaper than what I was paying Travel Guard.

We carry an annual plan for travel that covers us whenever we are away from home more than 75 miles. It is basically medical evacuation coverage, repatriation coverage and many kinds of assistance, but not for medical costs (that comes with our regular health care insurance). Our plan is through the RVing Company, Good Sam, and is called Travel Assist, about $110 per couple annually. Plus the Good Sam membership, $35 yr or so, can't remember exactly. m--

PS I'm an EMT with our local volunteer fire department about 90 minutes drive to the major hospitals in downtown Albuquerque, and a medevac flight for a patient that we decide to have helicoptered out now runs about $25,000. I'd recommend having medevac insurance coverage for the whole year. JMHO.

FWIW, well it is time to renew and I just found out that Travel Guard no longer offers a medical and emergency evacuation insurance on an annual plan. I'm now looking into one of GeoBlue's Trekker plans.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-compare-plans.cfm

The good news is that are cheaper than what I was paying Travel Guard.

IMO Geoblue's trekker is a good one, but now we have a problem.. I can use this policy or a Med Jet Assist policy, as I'm much younger than DH who just turned 85 last week.. This policy only will cover DH up to age 84.. We've actually been purchasing Travel ex through our Travel Agent, but wonder if they will insure him now..

Even Med Jet Assist policy would not work for him.. He's in excellent physical condition, but now looking for a policy to insure him for evacuation insurance.. He has medical insurance from his company in addition to Medicare which can't be used out of the country.. I haven't checked on his company policy yet, but they always covered both of us when we are out of the country..

Does anyone have an idea about a policy which might cover DH when we decide on a cruise?

Edited by serendipity1499