Dirty conditions on QM2

dencruise80

I was on board the QM2 for the July 4th ,New England/Canada cruise.

The ship, the cruise were magnificent ...

How can a ship fall apart in a few months? LOL

Too much negative thoughts

Hi turquoise. I was also on the QM2 July cruise. Had a nice quiet, relaxing voyage.

This Sept Canada cruise was like being on a different ship. The gastrointestional thing was just one part of the mosaic. It's hard to explain, and I know it's hard to believe.

I'd be lying to you if I painted a rosey picture.

Hi turquoise. I was also on the QM2 July cruise. Had a nice quiet, relaxing voyage.

This Sept Canada cruise was like being on a different ship. The gastrointestional thing was just one part of the mosaic. It's hard to explain, and I know it's hard to believe.

I'd be lying to you if I painted a rosey picture.

Hi Salacia. Welcome Home. You are up late

After this cruise. I am sorry about the changes

For the worse,

For now. Get some rest.

T

Good evening, dencruise80:

The ship you describe is the complete opposite of what was our experience on the QM2 this past May. I'm sorry that your experience was so very different from ours.

Our towels got changed daily and their replacements were spotless. Our bed always was made up in a quick fashion. It seemed that whenever we left our cabin that our steward popped in to make sure the covers were neat and tidy and the room spotless...

The ship was in great condition and didn't spot or sit in any broken chairs and I witnessed much vacuuming going on through out the ship during the day in the different hallways. It got to be too chilly for me to walk outside on some days, so I did my walking through the different decks and up and down the stairs. The crew always seemed to be polishing the handrails and cleaning the windows, the baseboards, etc.

We all love to get on board the ship as fast as possible when we are embarking and I often wonder how the crew can get the cabins as clean as they do with so little time between those who disembark and those who are embarking. I'm always amazed that our luggage beats us to our cabin by 1 p.m. ...

We were on Deck 4 in-hull cabin so we were not in a Grill cabin but we felt we received Grill service especially from our room steward and those we contacted for help or advice. ...

I do believe that if your room steward was so poor and you asked and did not receive better service at that point you should contact their Superior and ask for the problem to be resolved. There will always be people who excel at their job and a few who do not, we have been very fortunate to have gotten the former and I'm sorry you appear to have gotten the latter.

It would really sadden me to see the QM2 in the condition you mention, as she is a beautiful ship and on our crossings she has always appeared to get the care and attention worthy of such a wonderful ship.

best regards,

seasidegal

What a wonderful post seasidegal :) .

May I agree with every word above, it rings true for my experience on every voyage on QM2.

When on the odd occasion something has been less than perfect, the individual crew member or the management have done all possible to put things right as soon as they could after I have mentioned the issue.

Thank you again, gosh, you do write so well, a joy to read :)

Sincere best wishes to you.

The waiter is Romulo Almario and the Supervisor is Oprea Viorel. They were spectacular.

Sorry to hear, that you had a very different experience than us on the June crossing . The only thing that we can confirm is your your line about Romulo - we have been very happy with him as well.

As an indicator of our happiness with QM2 - we have booked the November crossing to Hamburg just some days ago.

I just got back from the 12 day cruise from NYC to Quebec and back on the QM2 which started on Sept. 10. My cabin (5100) was dirty. The floor was never vacuumed. There was never a vacuum in sight on deck 5. The room was infrequently dusted. It seemed to be dusted once.

When the towels were put on the floor the cabin steward put them back on the bar. He did this 5 times!

The towels had stains on them. "New" towels had makeup stains. Pool towels had huge yellow stains on them that covered three quarters of the towel.

The bathroom flowed unto the carpet in the hall outside of 5096 and it was never cleaned up. It stayed that way, slowly getting less wet over 4 days.

What is happening to the Queen Mary 2? Are these isolated incidents?

It does not seem as if the head housekeeper inspects the rooms or the halls any longer. The ship is in shambles.

Of course people are getting sick in these conditions.

And let's not start on the broken chairs all over the ship, and doors that slam because the door closers do not work.

Maybe they need a new head housekeeper.

There were many nice aspects to this cruise, but cleanliness and the maintenance of the ship were not what they should be.

Wasn't there a Norovirus outbreak on that voyage? I've been reading about something to that effect on another thread.

If this is so, then I wonder if rooms were not individually cleaned as frequently as they might normally have been to avoid the potential spread of the virus? Just a theory.

That said, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that standards slip now and then. Wasn't it only a year and a half ago or so that QM2 failed a health and cleanliness inspection?

My one experience on QM2 was overwhelmingly positive. It's a shame that someone could have a terrible experience on such a beautiful ship.

What a wonderful post seasidegal :) .

May I agree with every word above, it rings true for my experience on every voyage on QM2.

When on the odd occasion something has been less than perfect, the individual crew member or the management have done all possible to put things right as soon as they could after I have mentioned the issue.

Thank you again, gosh, you do write so well, a joy to read :)

Sincere best wishes to you.

I'll second that. :)

Salacia

Perhaps you might like to try the smaller Queens when they sail from NY in the winter season on a World Cruise segment.

I know you love the QM2, but I have to to say the other ships have some very endearing qualities. I am sure there are a few posters on this thread who would second this statement.

Salacia

Perhaps you might like to try the smaller Queens when they sail from NY in the winter season on a World Cruise segment.

I know you love the QM2, but I have to to say the other ships have some very endearing qualities. I am sure there are a few posters on this thread who would second this statement.

I am yet to travel on QE, but I would like to second your statement in advance.

I am yet to travel on QE, but I would like to second your statement in advance.

For what it's worth I have sailed on all Cunard ships. QM2 is my least favourite. Why? Partly because of the way the ship gives me the impression that it is being run down and used as a "cash cow"

I don't like the Kings Court, either the layout or the standard of the food, compared to the other two ships, and I think, because design was changed so much at the planning stage the layout is far from satisfactory.

Cunard are relying on the popularity of the "brand": so they see no reason to change.

Some years ago there were posts here about the broken seats in Illuminatios. Cunard at the time blamed it on fat Americans! The fact that they still have not bee replaced ( I think) says it all.

David

For what it's worth I have sailed on all Cunard ships. QM2 is my least favourite. Why? Partly because of the way the ship gives me the impression that it is being run down and used as a "cash cow" ... David
Hi David,

Thank goodness we are all different! My list of favourite ships (having sailed on four) is... 1st QM2, 2nd QE, 3rd QV, 87th QE2 (but, to be fair and make allowances for great age, 4th!).

As for "cash cow", recently there was a post here that said that QM2 cost more to run than the other two ships.

I bow to your greater experience of course. But it seems to me that QM2 would have higher operating costs yet does not have the on-board revenue generators that ships of a similar size have (many fewer passengers and few "gimmicks" (as on many other vessels) bringing in extra income). But I don't have figures to work with, that is all guesswork on my part, which is why I defer to your knowledge.

Thank you and best wishes.

My sister was on the Queen Mary 2 only last month and although it was not the nicest of cruises she was extremely impressed with the cleanliness of the ship and the diligence of the cleaning staff (is that the correct terminology) but.......

Who are we to doubt the observations of any single passenger. Has the person got a grievance against either the ship or the company? I think not but others might know differently but until I know otherwise then I for one will take note of that experience and listen to the constructive recommendations being offered. To believe that all staff are perfect and this or any other ship is always in pristine condition might be wishful thinking or it might be reality?

Would it do any harm for the OP to write to Cunard\Carnival and recount this experience?

It is however tiresome to have folks attack the player and not the ball, let's instead listen to the overall experiences of those passengers that might have very recently cruised on that ship and perhaps stayed in a cabin in close proximity to this one.

If this had happened to me, would I be out of order to have complained when things were not of a standard that I expected? I am someone that is loathed to complain but I do expect a certain standard and whilst others might try to condemn the OP, I would like to hear from folks that believe this happened and what THEY WOULD HAVE DONE in this person's place?

"BTW, I was on the 5night QM2 July cruise. And yes, there was an amazing difference between that cruise and this Sept cruise: compare the fares. The July cruise historically is not heavily discounted, unlike this Sept cruise.

When fares are cut to the bone, passengers should not be surprised when services are also reduced. And several passengers I spoke with thought they got a good deal at the price they paid; they were happy with the cruise. A few said that if they saw those bargains again, they'd sail with Cunard again - but it just wasn't worth booking prior to final payment date."

Salacia, you are right. I paid $995 for a BB cabin at almost the last minute. I had lunch with some Australians who paid $4,500 each base price for the same type cabin. They booked a year in advance. This is Cunard's fault. If I can pay a little, I will. It would not make sense to pay more. Cunard chooses this convoluted system to charge people. I think it would make sense to charge about $1,500 or $1,700 for all BB cabins and call it a day. I think they would get more passengers. If someone sees that they want $4,500 I think that some potential passengers (the ones who do not know what is going on) would never look at that voyage again. Cunard needs to learn some basic economics.

I used to have a different attitude toward this. I used to think that if I paid a little more, particularly with airlines, that they would treat me better, with better amenities. I think that the way corporations are today this is not the case. The money goes to the CEO's inflated salary. So, I should not complain when I see Jello in King's Court or say, like others say, that it is because of the Concordia.

As far as the Noro situation... I saw people enter the Brittania restaurant and not use the sanitizer. Some people are slobs and some people have no concept of germs. I know that one country in particular (a very civilized western country where I have friends) downplays the concept of germs and the relation to disease. Of course they get sick a lot and ridicule the American obsession with germs. All I can say is, I did not get a tiny bit sick on this Noro cruise. If I saw someone else post this and took their attitude I would say, "I was not sick. I don't believe that others were sick. It must be people who don't like Cunard who are saying this." :)

I do not doubt the steward was told not to vacuum because of Noro. I really do not like that it seems they are saying, "Our vacuums are so cheap they would make people sicker." That is a really bad excuse for Cunard.

The bright yellow stains on the towels could have been a drink or cleaning solution. (I hope) And, I have no idea if brown make-up washes off towels easily.

I think QM2 is a great ship but I do not like that it is being managed poorly. It could be so much better with little effort. The chairs could easily be fixed by hiring one person to live on the ship and fix them. But, they choose not to do that.

Yes, I know these are a lot of complaints but I spent 12 days steaming and it is good to get it off my chest since I was too meek (chicken) to do it in person imagining things could get worse if I did complain.

There were many positive aspects to this cruise. I enjoyed the ports, the wait staff was excellent, and the gymnast show was fantastic.

Who are we to doubt the observations of any single passenger. Has the person got a grievance against either the ship or the company? I think not

Glojo - The reaction we have seen here in response to what seemed to be a reasonable comment from a newly disembarked passenger is not new. Always happens. Not that they don't believe the OP, but the raised eyebrows are easy to imagine.

One poster is already up to twelve posts and counting.

I believe the OP just as I believe the people on the same trip who loved everything. We all see things in our own way. Personally I would probably not notice if the floor was not vacuumed, but grubby sheets and towels i would.

Cunard ships have lower standards in many ways from past years. Bound to when we look at what we pay now. Same probably with all other lines. When I sailed on QE2 I can only say there was a feeling of pride among the crew for the ship, love even. I can't detect that on any ship now. But for what I'm paying!!!

David

My sister was on the Queen Mary 2 only last month and although it was not the nicest of cruises she was extremely impressed with the cleanliness of the ship and the diligence of the cleaning staff (is that the correct terminology) but.......

Who are we to doubt the observations of any single passenger. Has the person got a grievance against either the ship or the company? I think not but others might know differently but until I know otherwise then I for one will take note of that experience and listen to the constructive recommendations being offered. To believe that all staff are perfect and this or any other ship is always in pristine condition might be wishful thinking or it might be reality?

Would it do any harm for the OP to write to Cunard\Carnival and recount this experience?

It is however tiresome to have folks attack the player and not the ball, let's instead listen to the overall experiences of those passengers that might have very recently cruised on that ship and perhaps stayed in a cabin in close proximity to this one.

If this had happened to me, would I be out of order to have complained when things were not of a standard that I expected? I am someone that is loathed to complain but I do expect a certain standard and whilst others might try to condemn the OP, I would like to hear from folks that believe this happened and what THEY WOULD HAVE DONE in this person's place?

Good morning, glojo:

I believe some posters did mention what they would do in this poster's circumstances.

From my previous post stating what I would have done:

I do believe that if your room steward was so poor and you asked and did not receive better service at that point you should contact their Superior and ask for the problem to be resolved. There will always be people who excel at their job and a few who do not, we have been very fortunate to have gotten the former and I'm sorry you appear to have gotten the latter.

Your comment:

"To believe that all staff are perfect and this or any other ship is always in pristine condition might be wishful thinking or it might be reality".

In my opinion there are no perfect staffs as there are no perfect people in this world, however, I do believe that some staff members do strive for perfection in their work and come mighty close to achieving it. They take pride in doing a great job and it shows.

The condition of the QM2 as described by Carolyn in her blog a week or so ago has also been my experience and many others going by their comments both in this thread and many other threads on the forum.

Seeing as the poster found conditions otherwise on their sailing, perhaps, that was due to the virus and having a room steward that wasn't listening to his requests, which would be very upsetting. Have had that happen in a hotel and it does impact on your enjoyment of your stay.

I have sailed on two ships immediately after a noro outbreak (two different Cruise Lines)and the staff in both cases were nothing short of amazing in their work effort. Was it perfect...no... but they were working very hard to make it as comfortable and safe for the passengers as possible. Which is all one can reasonably expect in the circumstances.

I'm truly sorry the poster had this experience and hope that the problems mentioned are soon put 'right'.

I also hope your sailing on the lovely QE goes without any problems that would put you in a position of possibly having to complain which can be very stressful. The QE is my favorite cruise ship. We found the crew on QE to be one of the best we've encountered on any ship and hope you find them the same.

best regards, glojo,

seasidegal

just saw this post by balf:

"I believe the OP just as I believe the people on the same trip who loved everything. We all see things in our own way. Personally I would probably not notice if the floor was not vacuumed, but grubby sheets and towels i would.

Cunard ships have lower standards in many ways from past years. Bound to when we look at what we pay now. Same probably with all other lines."

So true, balf. Amazed for what we pay that the ship can even afford to set sail. :eek::D

I like the QM2, if she would go to the Carribean or Hawaii more often I would sail on her more often and I plan to be a regular on my retirement on her TA's.

I found that I wanted my bathroom a bit cleaner (I had messed it up after all) on my first trip on her in 2004 so I stepped outside in the hallway and took a rag and some cleaning spray off the cart and started to clean my counter and mirror in my bathroom. At that point all heck broke out. The room attendant / house keeper came in my room and asked me to stop cleaning and stated I had offended him. It was not my intent at all. I was taught that if you wanted something done just do it. I was not used to getting help from another person. Anyway we figured it out and we both had a good laugh about it.

It did teach me to speak up about the cabin cleaning and if I needed something done. Also, when they did a great job as usual I started thanking them for it.

just my two cents on this subject

This isn't personal Jimsgirl, I'm not sure why you're trying to make it so.

If you're going to have a go at me you should at least be accurate. Despite your claims against me (highlighted in red above) I have not:

1) written that the report is false

2) accused the OP of lying

3) inferred that they were a grump or alleged that they were/are seeking compensation.

If you can find any post of mine on this thread where I have done so, please bring it to my attention. If you can't, then I would appreciate an apology.

No apology required

How many times have you "dug up" that I once reported that a pasta dish came without ANY sauce at all (just boiled pasta) and that the waiter just kept ignoring my request for sauce , until the dish was cold and I finally asked for it to be removed.

How many times have you said , that I was "hard to please", along with other passengers being "difficult"

How many times have you wrote that you saw "lines of passengers " at Pursers desk, ALL of whom according to you were "removing the auto gratuity". A fact you could not possibly know

How many times have you said that a negative report of a bad steward/waiter was "biased"- that " all the stewards/waiters were excellent" -even though you were not on the same cruise, or in the same grade of cabin (viz. you were in the grills, the report was about Britannia grade service).

People are NOT "out to get Cunard" if they report a negative. They are simply reporting things as they happened to them, or as they viewed an event in relation to themselves.

For instance the photographers telling boarding passengers they needed to have their photos taken for ID on the ship?.

You wrote negatively about that report, you felt the passengers were at fault , that they did not have to buy, that they should be gracious and allow their picture to be taken just to "help " the photographer, even if in the DR that means leaving their meal to stand in a group with strangers.

Tell me WHY should a passenger who has spent maybe as long as 12-15 hours getting to the ship, ,who are tired, hungry, wanting a shower, then stand while a photographer takes a picture which the passenger does not want?. Does the passenger not have the right to board without a camera being thrust at him/her?

I would NEVER presume to tell any passenger that they are reporting incorrectly, unless I was there beside them, at the time. and observed the event for myself In other words I was walking in their shoes.

When I go to a fast food diner, I do not expect White Glove service, however if the restaurant advertises is it 5 Star in food and service , if I pay $$$ for a meal yes then I do expect Service with a capital S.

If it does not meet my expectations , and I report that fact , I do not expect that someone who went to the place several months before will then infer I am to blame , because their "experience was superb".

No apology required

How many times have you "dug up" that I once reported that a pasta dish came without ANY sauce at all (just boiled pasta) and that the waiter just kept ignoring my request for sauce , until the dish was cold and I finally asked for it to be removed.

How many times have you said , that I was "hard to please", along with other passengers being "difficult"

How many times have you wrote that you saw "lines of passengers " at Pursers desk, ALL of whom according to you were "removing the auto gratuity". A fact you could not possibly know

How many times have you said that a negative report of a bad steward/waiter was "biased"- that " all the stewards/waiters were excellent" -even though you were not on the same cruise, or in the same grade of cabin (viz. you were in the grills, the report was about Britannia grade service).

People are NOT "out to get Cunard" if they report a negative. They are simply reporting things as they happened to them, or as they viewed an event in relation to themselves.

For instance the photographers telling boarding passengers they needed to have their photos taken for ID on the ship?.

You wrote negatively about that report, you felt the passengers were at fault , that they did not have to buy, that they should be gracious and allow their picture to be taken just to "help " the photographer, even if in the DR that means leaving their meal to stand in a group with strangers.

Tell me WHY should a passenger who has spent maybe as long as 12-15 hours getting to the ship, ,who are tired, hungry, wanting a shower, then stand while a photographer takes a picture which the passenger does not want?. Does the passenger not have the right to board without a camera being thrust at him/her?

I would NEVER presume to tell any passenger that they are reporting incorrectly, unless I was there beside them, at the time. and observed the event for myself In other words I was walking in their shoes.

When I go to a fast food diner, I do not expect White Glove service, however if the restaurant advertises is it 5 Star in food and service , if I pay $$$ for a meal yes then I do expect Service with a capital S.

If it does not meet my expectations , and I report that fact , I do not expect that someone who went to the place several months before will then infer I am to blame , because their "experience was superb".

Once again, I second that. As an example of what you have written, see the posts regarding the person who had negative experiences in the laundry. Ended up being 1) More or less called a liar. 2) Told any negative experiences they may have had must have been their own fault for not being a very nice person.

I have never been on the QM2 and therefore cannot make any comment in relation to the initial thread or subsequent comments re the QM2, BUT, having cruised both on Cunard and other cruise ships previously, I am staggered at the stance taken by some contributors that they "dare not" complain for fear of some form of retribution by members of the ships staff - WHAT BUNK !.

I cannot conceive that any passenger would pay the prices that we have to pay, have bad service, water leaks, dirty cabin floors and yet are reticent regarding complaining. People who tolerate this - deserve it.

Let me tell you, I don't care who does or says what to me or my wife in terms of service or life on board - they will know about it.

The timid cruisers should get a backbone and COMPLAIN LOUDLY....

Final payment is due today for the Christmas cruise for which I am booked and under deposit.

Reading reports about the less than cleanly conditions on board, in combination with another outbreak of a GI bug, makes me very leery now about sealing the deal with a final payment.

No apology required

How many times have you said that a negative report of a bad steward/waiter was "biased"- that " all the stewards/waiters were excellent" -even though you were not on the same cruise, or in the same grade of cabin (viz. you were in the grills, the report was about Britannia grade service).p

Jimsgirl 1. Whitemarsh 0

David

I like the QM2, if she would go to the Carribean or Hawaii more often I would sail on her more often and I plan to be a regular on my retirement on her TA's.

I found that I wanted my bathroom a bit cleaner (I had messed it up after all) on my first trip on her in 2004 so I stepped outside in the hallway and took a rag and some cleaning spray off the cart and started to clean my counter and mirror in my bathroom. At that point all heck broke out. The room attendant / house keeper came in my room and asked me to stop cleaning and stated I had offended him. It was not my intent at all. I was taught that if you wanted something done just do it. I was not used to getting help from another person. Anyway we figured it out and we both had a good laugh about it.

It did teach me to speak up about the cabin cleaning and if I needed something done. Also, when they did a great job as usual I started thanking them for it.

just my two cents on this subject

You have raised a very interesting point and something I have been pondering for some time. I am going to be in my cabin for the most if not all the cruise and by that I mean I will not be going ashore that often and I am tempted to very politely offer to give our cabin staff a hand regarding the upkeep of my room. I had thought about how this might upset them but laying on a bed watching these hard working folk is just not in my make-up. Hopefully we will have a laugh and I will become an official unpaid apprentice :) but I do understand what you are saying and the trouble these folks might get into if weare not careful.

I would NEVER presume to tell any passenger that they are reporting incorrectly, unless I was there beside them, at the time. and observed the event for myself In other words I was walking in their shoes. For instance the photographers telling boarding passengers they needed to have their photos taken for ID on the ship?. ...

... Tell me WHY should a passenger who has spent maybe as long as 12-15 hours getting to the ship, ,who are tired, hungry, wanting a shower, then stand while a photographer takes a picture which the passenger does not want?. Does the passenger not have the right to board without a camera being thrust at him/her? ...

Hi Jimsgirl,

Can I ask (for my next voyage) how long you were delayed when boarding, on your last crossing, by the photographer in the terminal? Serious question, was it 5 seconds as you said "No, thank you" and walked on, or was it several minutes while he/she insisted and argued with you?

Thanks for your help.

I know this isn't correct procedure but just had to write briefly without reading most posts because I'm simply too tired. Instead of a two hour direct flight....ended up with a 9 hr. trip by way of DC because we lost an engine. Since we only had two, I guess they thought that was wise. :)

We were on this trip and I found it flawless simply because this time, for us, it was. I kept hanging my once used towels on the rack and they were replaced anyway. Our service was excellent....both in the dining room and in the cabin. I found the ship to be exactly as it was in May.....beautifully maintained. We learned years ago that they do not Hoover when on Noro watch because of airborne germs.

Food was excellent even in the dreaded KC with many improvements including an afternoon cheese and fruit cart.

I know everyone has a different experience for many legitimate reasons and even though I know I should have waited until I've had more sleep and certainly until I've read all the posts, but I just needed to give credit where credit is due for the fantastic 12 days we had on board. Brigitte

Hi Brigitte

Instead of a two hour direct flight....ended up with a 9 hr. trip by way of DC because we lost an engine. Since we only had two, I guess they thought that was wise. :)
Very wise. Did they find it? :D
We were on this trip and I found it flawless simply because this time, for us, it was. I kept hanging my once used towels on the rack and they were replaced anyway. Our service was excellent....both in the dining room and in the cabin. I found the ship to be exactly as it was in May.....beautifully maintained. We learned years ago that they do not Hoover when on Noro watch because of airborne germs. Food was excellent even in the dreaded KC with many improvements including an afternoon cheese and fruit cart. I know everyone has a different experience for many legitimate reasons and even though I know I should have waited until I've had more sleep and certainly until I've read all the posts, but I just needed to give credit where credit is due for the fantastic 12 days we had on board. Brigitte
I hope you read this before you get some much deserved sleep, but I had to post to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you so much for sharing and posting. You experience reflects my own, on each and every Cunard voyage I've taken so far.

Thank you again, sincere best wishes, :)

Archived