Dirty conditions on QM2

dencruise80

dencruise, in post #1, you stated your cabin number and voyage. Did you not realize that those two pieces of infomation are all that Cunard needs to ascertain the cabin steward's name (as well as the name/s of the passengers occupying that cabin)?

I should have.

Attached are two pictures. One of the leak and one of the dirty carpet. I do not know if they will download correctly.

floor.pdf

hall.pdf

dencruise80, You do now know why the carpets were not vacuumed.....they should have made more announcements regarding this. We thought nothing of it since it's happened on all of our latest trips.

I'm really sorry that I chimed in regarding the cabin steward but I didn't realize we were heading in this direction....but here we are. I was especially friendly to him because I liked him and find that they respond accordingly. Possibly, if you came across as more formal, he simply followed your lead which to me is appropriate. Cunard seems very gay friendly and I can't imagine anyone would keep their job very long if they received complaints of prejudiced service.

I am truly sorry that you felt as you did. I think if I felt that I was being singled out with a bad attitude I would ask if there was a problem or if I had done something to offend. That pretty much lets them know that you aren't exactly thrilled with your experience without confrontation. Again, very sorry. Brigitte

I know this isn't correct procedure but just had to write briefly without reading most posts because I'm simply too tired. Instead of a two hour direct flight....ended up with a 9 hr. trip by way of DC because we lost an engine. Since we only had two, I guess they thought that was wise. :)

We were on this trip and I found it flawless simply because this time, for us, it was. I kept hanging my once used towels on the rack and they were replaced anyway. Our service was excellent....both in the dining room and in the cabin. I found the ship to be exactly as it was in May.....beautifully maintained. We learned years ago that they do not Hoover when on Noro watch because of airborne germs.

Food was excellent even in the dreaded KC with many improvements including an afternoon cheese and fruit cart.

I know everyone has a different experience for many legitimate reasons and even though I know I should have waited until I've had more sleep and certainly until I've read all the posts, but I just needed to give credit where credit is due for the fantastic 12 days we had on board. Brigitte

So sorry to hear you had such a tough and long trip home, but so glad to hear it was such a good cruise. Had been concerned especially when Noro Virus was reported on board.

Best regards --

Jane

I do not know the OP, nor the steward , and I am not prepared to pass judgement on either. As always I I only write of that which happens to me.

I was on July 27th B2B2B, deck 5. My steward did his work as far as cleaning ,however he never introduced himself, and although I looked for him every morning when I left the cabin at 8.30a.m to greet him he was never around and there was no cart in the hallway.

He did open the door when I had a "do not disturb sign" out, it was not really a problem as I was in bad, and the room being inside was fully dark.

However there was no way I could relate to him given his invisibility. Maybe he had a problem with a single woman travelling alone without a male , I do not know if that was so. ( was once at a table at which everyone was woman travelling solo, and the waiter was difficult, the Maitre D' admitted that the waiter came from a culture where woman did not go out alone). I spent 2 years living in such a culture, so I had met that attitude before.

There were problems with water being switched off without warning, (believe some were caught halfway through a shower). Several times in the 28 days, there was only cold water, no hot. and twice I had to report that the toilet was not flushing.

None of this "ruined" my 28 days of course, but even with the best of good intents I cannot deny that there were problems , and that I found the steward "difficult"

dencruise80, You do now know why the carpets were not vacuumed.....they should have made more announcements regarding this. We thought nothing of it since it's happened on all of our latest trips.

I'm really sorry that I chimed in regarding the cabin steward but I didn't realize we were heading in this direction....but here we are. I was especially friendly to him because I liked him and find that they respond accordingly. Possibly, if you came across as more formal, he simply followed your lead which to me is appropriate. Cunard seems very gay friendly and I can't imagine anyone would keep their job very long if they received complaints of prejudiced service.

I am truly sorry that you felt as you did. I think if I felt that I was being singled out with a bad attitude I would ask if there was a problem or if I had done something to offend. That pretty much lets them know that you aren't exactly thrilled with your experience without confrontation. Again, very sorry. Brigitte

Hi Brigitte,

Glad to hear you & Tom had another wonderful cruise on QM2. Given their horrible reference "The Help" against a cunard employee, I'm not sure that I would feel the need to apologize to dencrusie80. Making a homophobic comment about someone without any proof is just shameful. It's just as bad as calling someone racist.

We've had the pleasure of cruising with Brigitte & Tom last Christmas aboard the QM2 and I certainly trust their comments.

We are platinum WC members and I've been cruising with my partner for 12 years and we've never had any reason to question a cunard employee or have had any reason to feel we'd been disrespected by an employee Cunard. In my experience of all the cruise lines, Cunard's staff have been the most accommodating of two men sharing a bed.

BTW - In the movie 'The Help' Ms. Hilly Holbrook "got her just desserts" because of the way in which she treated people, you have drawn a very good analogy.....

Perhaps the reason they weren't as attentive as you would have liked, was not because you were a male/male couple, but because simply they didn't you.

"The bathroom flowed unto the carpet in the hall outside of 5096 and it was never cleaned up. It stayed that way, slowly getting less wet over 4 days."

I walked by that cabin door at least 20 times a day, as it was at the corridor entrance from the B elevators. I did not notice any odor, but then again, I don't spoil my cruise by looking for and photographing everything that I think is wrong.

For some reason there was a yellow pail sitting there for a couple days, and from your picture, I would suspect a leak in the plumbing access chamber which is the hallway panel shown. I would doubt the water shown ever reached the bathroom. An electric drying fan and cord would have been more of a hazard than a damp spot.

I'm an FOD and was on 27JULY EB TA in the PG (10021) traveling with a lady friend and had the most FABULOUS [read: FOD cabin attendant] room steward who treated us like gold. I think it can be luck of the draw.

I'd sailed on Celebrity Summit with my partner and had an awful homophobic (and racist) experience from one of the gym staff. Sadly it still happens but overall I know Celebrity trains folks to be inclusive, as does Cunard. It's awful when it happens but I believe they are ver isolated incidents.

It's easy to judge the OP too but because I'm near 60 and know what it is to have lived through some pretty rough stuff in my life, I won't.

It was probably a mistake to post the comment that I did. Many people do not seem to be able to handle that some employees are just not good. Cunard has to be perfect.

First it was, "i do not believe you." Then I had to post pictures and it was , "eww, you take pictures."

Some people changed what I said, "It came from the shower." and other comments that I will not bother with.

Some people made intelligent comments

Some people said I never make positive comments. When I started a thread and complimented the entertainer, I got one comment.

Maybe you should go to the 'formal shoe" thread. This may be too much for you to think about. If you are really "proactive" you could start a thread about laces vs loafers.

I am done here and not making any more comments. Say what you want about me.

I had a good time except for the very bad room steward. I am a Platinum card holder over 60. He is the worst room steward I have ever had. I can live with that. Many of you can not.

...I had a good time except for the very bad room steward. I am a Platinum card holder over 60. He is the worst room steward I have ever had.
Yes, I guess I will not go on Cunard anymore.
Hi dencruise80,

I do hope you'll excuse me making comment, but I'm not sure that many with such extensive experience of Cunard voyages (Platinum member), or of life (over 60), would let one "bad" steward or a stain on a hall carpet, put them off all voyages with Cunard for the future.

I know that I would put both down to experience and book again.

I too had a wet carpet (near the balcony), in my QM2 cabin last December. It was caused by a storm forcing seawater through the seals on the balcony door. My steward used a suction cleaner to lift most of the water, and then I lived with oft-changed towels for a couple of days until the damp carpet had dried. He couldn't have done more to assist me. The experience won't deter me from taking a winter crossing with Cunard on QM2 in the future.

I do hope you change your mind :) .

I walked by that cabin door at least 20 times a day, as it was at the corridor entrance from the B elevators. I did not notice any odor, ...

For some reason there was a yellow pail sitting there for a couple days, and from your picture, I would suspect a leak in the plumbing access chamber which is the hallway panel shown. I would doubt the water shown ever reached the bathroom. An electric drying fan and cord would have been more of a hazard than a damp spot.

Ships plumbing systems are very sensible and I had a lot of trouble like this on many journeys. This risk comes with the transport that we use...

Maintenance does definiteley it's best, but sometimes it takes some time until everything is fixed. I experineced that everytime the state room was perfectly cleaned after such a repair.

Worst ever leak was on one of the first journeys of the new QE when the ceiling showed e leak from the plumbing of the stateroom above ours. We were asked to move from PG to QG immediately.

If one doesn't like the risks of travelling and the use of technical systems, it is my advice to stay safely at home and use the tradtional equipment.

PS: As a German I am still fighting with the insufficient and cranky flushing system of UK- and US. But living there I had to cope with it and never mentioned this to our plumber.

I also recommend not to demonstrate personal situations to members of staff. Some feel beeing offended by variations wich their education didn't allow them to accept. The world is a complicated construct and the civil rights are not known everywhere. I am glad to see that on Cunard ship this is not a constant issue and most FOD are welcome and happy on board.

I surprised our room steward with this. I was seened as a trouble maker. People respond to you as you are.

487682_588576604486123_1249871454_n.jpg

For four months I was on Queen Mary. The shower did not drain I was in ankles in water. They fixed within an hour. At least three times the toilet would not flush; they also fixed it within 15 minutes.

Things happen.

Best wishes

M

I surprised our room steward with this. I was seened as a trouble maker. People respond to you as you are.

487682_588576604486123_1249871454_n.jpg

For four months I was on Queen Mary. The shower did not drain I was in ankles in water. They fixed within an hour. At least three times the toilet would not flush; they also fixed it within 15 minutes.

Things happen.

Best wishes

M

OMG! Marie, you are a funny person! :D:D:D:D:D

You may have scared the hell out of your room steward.

I should have.

Attached are two pictures. One of the leak and one of the dirty carpet. I do not know if they will download correctly.

I certainly see the wet carpet. However, I don't see the dirty carpet. There are a few flecks but nothing that I would have even noticed. I was on the QM2 in 12/08 and had a "flushing" issue. I did have to call maintenance twice but someone came out and fixed it within one hour. Didn't upset me a bit. These things happen on floating cities. There will be breaks and leaks and other assorted issues. You have to expect it. Now, if I had called three times and given it another hour or so, I would have gone down to Guest Services and spoken to someone in charge. Likewise, had I come back to my cabin and seen my dirty towels merely hung back up, I would have dealt with it right then and there by informing the correct individual and having them rectify it. I've been on lots of ships with lots of cruise lines. Even Disney (gasp!) made a few mistakes but everything was resolved to my satisfaction because I informed someone about it and ensured it was taken care of.

I certainly see the wet carpet. However, I don't see the dirty carpet. There are a few flecks but nothing that I would have even noticed. I was on the QM2 in 12/08 and had a "flushing" issue. I did have to call maintenance twice but someone came out and fixed it within one hour. Didn't upset me a bit. These things happen on floating cities. There will be breaks and leaks and other assorted issues. You have to expect it. Now, if I had called three times and given it another hour or so, I would have gone down to Guest Services and spoken to someone in charge. Likewise, had I come back to my cabin and seen my dirty towels merely hung back up, I would have dealt with it right then and there by informing the correct individual and having them rectify it. I've been on lots of ships with lots of cruise lines. Even Disney (gasp!) made a few mistakes but everything was resolved to my satisfaction because I informed someone about it and ensured it was taken care of.
Hi CI66774,

Thank you for your excellent post and very wise words. Your post is a lesson on how to deal with issues that can occur, occasionally, on any passenger ship (I too have reported problems on rare occasions, they have been resolved as quickly as I could have wished).

Thank you again for sharing your experiences, great to read :) .

Would the habitual complainers/moaners here please take note.

Hi CI66774,

Thank you for your excellent post and very wise words. Your post is a lesson on how to deal with issues that can occur, occasionally, on any passenger ship (I too have reported problems on rare occasions, they have been resolved as quickly as I could have wished).

Thank you again for sharing your experiences, great to read :) .

Would the habitual complainers/moaners here please take note.

As my dear Mother always said - "Life is short and there are many stressors - most of them unworthy of our time or attention. Fix the big problems and don't worry about the rest." Wet carpet wouldn't upset me unless it signified an approaching tidal wave. A carpet with a few flecks - well, it certainly is cleaner then mine at home!!! :p

Interesting to hear the back-and-forth regarding Noro and vacuuming, etc. As I read this thread I am also watching a recording of a 2009 episode of the documentary series Mighty Ships entitled "Inside the Queen Mary 2." In this episode they mention a small Noro outbreak early in the crossing, though I am not sure it is not "staged" (fictional) to simply show how the ship staff would handle such a situation.

But the one thing I noticed in watching the show was that an officer was shaking hands with every passenger (or a good many of them) as they boarded the ship! If this is not the perfect way to spread Noro or anything else, I would like to know what is!

Does anyone know whether this is the usual practice onboard the QM2, or any ship? Perhaps it was again something staged for the documentary to make the ship seem friendly. It seems incredible that this practice would actually occur.

SeaGoing Mom - I was on the Sep 10th sailing of the QM2 and a Captain's Cocktail reception that was scheduled for the 5th night was cancelled after the Norovirus started. It was later rescheduled for the last formal night (Day 10). However due to their still being some diagnosed cases of it, no handshaking was allowed. Instead it was more of a nod and smile as you walked past him.

Karin

SeagoingMom,

I have to agree with skyhawk352,

On my last crossing I attended three formal receptions in the Queens Room where passengers were received by the captain, and where senior officers were present.

On each occasion it was noted, either in the Daily Programme, or on the Invitation, that there would be no handshake welcome by the captain, nor were officers permitted to shake hands with passengers. As skyhawk352 says, it was "more of a nod and a smile".

I, and a few passengers that mentioned this arrangement, were perfectly happy and could see the sense in it, without question.

Hope this helps.

hi Whitemarsh, I agree with you about the vacuum. But the over flow of the bathroom on to the floor is not all that healthy.

We need Joan Crawford to clean those bathrooms. (She was reported to

do that on the s/s United States)

T;)

I heard those pesky wire coat hangers just gave her fits!

Did you notice anything different NYE?
The captain was imploring passengers not to partake of the tradition of shaking hands, etc. Of course there was hand shaking and hugging at midnight (it was within a couple of days of the end of the voyage and (a) the outbreak was winding down and (b) we were all tired of being on Red Alert.

I just got back from the 12 day cruise from NYC to Quebec and back on the QM2 which started on Sept. 10. My cabin (5100) was dirty. The floor was never vacuumed. There was never a vacuum in sight on deck 5. The room was infrequently dusted. It seemed to be dusted once.

When the towels were put on the floor the cabin steward put them back on the bar. He did this 5 times!

The towels had stains on them. "New" towels had makeup stains. Pool towels had huge yellow stains on them that covered three quarters of the towel.

The bathroom flowed unto the carpet in the hall outside of 5096 and it was never cleaned up. It stayed that way, slowly getting less wet over 4 days.

What is happening to the Queen Mary 2? Are these isolated incidents?

It does not seem as if the head housekeeper inspects the rooms or the halls any longer. The ship is in shambles.

Of course people are getting sick in these conditions.

And let's not start on the broken chairs all over the ship, and doors that slam because the door closers do not work.

Maybe they need a new head housekeeper.

There were many nice aspects to this cruise, but cleanliness and the maintenance of the ship were not what they should be.

We've never encountered any issues in regards to the staff, other pax well.... With respect to Jimsgirl(who we met in 2010)We have to agree with her on some of the staff issues. We were in Q-Grill & had no problems(at that price there shouldn't be any)Jimsgirl was in Britannia & a friend of my parents was as well. Liz had no problems at her table, but did see real service issues at other tables near her's. In 2012 we(and Liz this time) had some slow service in Britannia & the Sommier was very slow at times. God, you don't want to be late with Liz's drink, I'll tell you that. So all that aside I side quite often with Jimsgirl. Remember, she has sailed many,many more times than many of us & trust me the photographers can get really annoying. After our 5'th trip we refused most pic offers. At least in the Grills they can get chewed out by the Maitre D. (Osman didn't take any crap from them at all!) He booted them out one night when they became a pest.

Being a gay couple we've never had anything less than stellar service. We've frequently found gay staff on board & always requested them.

Archived