How Many People on a Trivia Team

Vol fan

We cruised on Jade earlier in the year and one quiz was quite poorly attended. They always insisted on a maximum of 6 but on that occasion there were around 8 people from the USA clearly part of the same group sitting at two adjacent tables. We couldn't work out if they were playing as one team of 8 or a 6 with extra help!

They were fairly loud throughout and clearly thought they had it sewn up between them after deciding the limited opposition could be disregarded. Surprise surprise they lost out to a team of 2 consisting my wife and myself.

I had to refrain from cartwheeling along the corridor after the quiz - no greater satisfaction than victory above an over confident set of opponents and a stamp on our card towards a magnificent NCL prize at the end of the week!

Islegroove, perhaps my turn of phrase was confusing. I don't recall exactly if NCL did stamp our card, I think it was perhaps a token that we received. Many cruise lines do trivia in different ways. The main idea behind card stamping or token collecting is that if you are successful a few times during a cruise you accumulate more towards a better prize at the end. Some cruise lines give out basic prizes immediately after each quiz, e.g. RCCL (we won two highlighter pens on our recent Navigator cruise!!).

We were on the Jade last Christmas when they ran a progressive trivia on the sea days. Maximum team size was 6 - we were a team of 2 and won it (named the Martini Monsters - (name now copyrighted :D!).

Top Tip - attend all progressive trivia sessions and you will probably win ;) (not that the prizes were much good - a tote bag full of NCL stuff) - the internet bragging rights are better!:eek:

I'm just off Breakaway 2 days ago and they did not put any limits on the number of team members for the 80s Music Trivia quiz. There were...guessing right now...maybe 8 to 10 teams. WE WON! I should really give props to my DH since he answered the majority giving us 18.5 (yes, half right on one of them) out of 20 questions.

We won 5 NCL beach balls, but gave them away to other teams and only kept one for ourselves. Who needs that many?

I'm just off Breakaway 2 days ago and they did not put any limits on the number of team members for the 80s Music Trivia quiz. There were...guessing right now...maybe 8 to 10 teams. WE WON! I should really give props to my DH since he answered the majority giving us 18.5 (yes, half right on one of them) out of 20 questions.

We won 5 NCL beach balls, but gave them away to other teams and only kept one for ourselves. Who needs that many?

Now I am curious what the question was that only got .5 points.

On most cruises, the limit is six per team. If the game has low attendance, they sometimes limit four per team, to have more teams competing.

I love to play trivia, and usually try to attend all of them, if possible. Only problem is the progressive trivia is usually at the time we go to 'early bird' dinner.

As for the above mentioned 'card'....don't know if it's still currently done on NCL, but in the past, they designated certain activities in the Freestyle Daily, as Organized Staff Activities. These included morning and afternoon trivia games, golf putting, basketball free throw, ring toss, shuffleboard, ping pong, etc.

They would give you a card to collect signatures on, indicating you participated in such events. At the end of the cruise, you could trade in your card(s) for logo merchandise such as t-shirts, drink cups, tote bags, beach balls, lighted keychains, etc., that were different from the line sold in the shops on board.

You would get one signature just for playing, so there were no 'loser's'. If you won an event, you would get two or more signatures.

The progressive was handled differently. You had to keep the same team for the whole cruise, as they kept your score. No signatures. At the end, only the winning team was rewarded, by the aforementioned bag of goodies.

The purpose of the cards, was to encourage passenger's to participate, and get to know their fellow passengers....

Other cruise lines simply award the prizes to the winning team at each regular trivia. Some also have a progressive. The progressive is never held while ships are in port, as then many team members are ashore.

As for the above mentioned 'card'....don't know if it's still currently done on NCL, but in the past, they designated certain activities in the Freestyle Daily, as Organized Staff Activities. These included morning and afternoon trivia games, golf putting, basketball free throw, ring toss, shuffleboard, ping pong, etc.

They would give you a card to collect signatures on, indicating you participated in such events. At the end of the cruise, you could trade in your card(s) for logo merchandise such as t-shirts, drink cups, tote bags, beach balls, lighted keychains, etc., that were different from the line sold in the shops on board.

You would get one signature just for playing, so there were no 'loser's'. If you won an event, you would get two or more signatures.

This is exactly how it was last year on the Dawn.

On most cruises, the limit is six per team. If the game has low attendance, they sometimes limit four per team, to have more teams competing.

I love to play trivia, and usually try to attend all of them, if possible. Only problem is the progressive trivia is usually at the time we go to 'early bird' dinner.

The progressive was handled differently. You had to keep the same team for the whole cruise, as they kept your score. No signatures. At the end, only the winning team was rewarded, by the aforementioned bag of goodies.

The purpose of the cards, was to encourage passenger's to participate, and get to know their fellow passengers....

Other cruise lines simply award the prizes to the winning team at each regular trivia. Some also have a progressive. The progressive is never held while ships are in port, as then many team members are ashore.

How do you get "the card" to start with?

Do they just pass them out at the "Organized Staff Activities" whenever you decide to join in?

Just curious as I am a Trivia geek, but golf putting, free throws, etc.. are also in my wheelhouse and sound like alot of fun.

Bill

We were on the Jade last Christmas when they ran a progressive trivia on the sea days. Maximum team size was 6 - we were a team of 2 and won it (named the Martini Monsters - (name now copyrighted :D!).

Top Tip - attend all progressive trivia sessions and you will probably win ;) (not that the prizes were much good - a tote bag full of NCL stuff) - the internet bragging rights are better!:eek:

wow, we have often attended every one and we have never won. We have come in second I don't know how many times. We always have the standard 6 members. One of these days we will go home with the tote bag..If not, so what?? We do like some of the smaller trivia games, like sports.

The progressive is never held while ships are in port, as then many team members are ashore.

Progressive Trivia - what would be the max number of days? Our May TA has 11 sea days but I'm thinking maybe they would do Prog Trivia on five of the six sea days right out of Miami. I like trivia but tend to not do progressive because it ties me to their schedule each day making the cruise less spontaneous. How long do NCL trivia sessions last?

How do you get "the card" to start with?

Do they just pass them out at the "Organized Staff Activities" whenever you decide to join in?

Just curious as I am a Trivia geek, but golf putting, free throws, etc.. are also in my wheelhouse and sound like alot of fun.

Bill

They just hand them out at the various activities and you hold onto one or however many for the cruise. At the prize redemption, you can also combine all of the cards.

Progressive Trivia - what would be the max number of days? Our May TA has 11 sea days but I'm thinking maybe they would do Prog Trivia on five of the six sea days right out of Miami. I like trivia but tend to not do progressive because it ties me to their schedule each day making the cruise less spontaneous. How long do NCL trivia sessions last?

The Progressive trivia is usually done on sea days. The progressive trivia times will vary by the CD, some run a quicker quiz than others. The longest that I remember was about an hour. The shortest was about 30 minutes. The non progressive trivia is usually held around the same time each evening and usually takes place in the sports bar around 5.

The progressive trivia is done most everyday, but is usually around 6 to 7 pm on port days, after sailaway, so that all team members are back on board. On sea days, they can hold the progressive anytime.

The daily trivia's are usually done at around 10 am and again around 2 pm.

Sometimes they will also have additional trivia's such as 'food and wine', in the afternoon, and 'name that tune' in the evening, so there can be as many as five trivia games in one day!

For the progressive, naturally you need to stick with the same team thruout, but for the daily games, you can either stick with your regular team mates, or if they are ashore or elsewhere, pick up a new team or member(s) at each event....

Archived