Pros and Cons of Alaska in May or September?

jealdaka

What do you all consider "late May"? We are thinking of leaving from Vancouver May 17th. Is that late enough? Our next chance to go is mid-June but prices are soooooo much higher! Is it worth it to wait?

This date is ok for a round trip. Is that what you are doing? With a one way, AND mainland Alaska touring, could be too early, depending on your touring.

Boy, May or September is hard to choose. We were still getting snow in May this year and September has been one of the warmest in years. You really just never know. If you are wanting to see bears I would suggest September. We still have them roaming around the house now. May is usually too early. September still has fish in the rivers as well.

Jules

• 4 weeks later...

We did a 14 night land/sea tour in 2008 in mid September and we had no weather problems except for a little rain in the temperate rain forest areas of Alaska at Juneau. The fall colors were magnificent:

P9070056.jpg

P9060014.jpg

I took this picture while the ship was at the port of Skagway and I hiked the Dewey Lakes trail on my way to the Devils Punch Bowl:

DeweyLake2.jpg

The magnificence of Alaska:

MyPal-1.jpg

DeweyTrail6.jpg

I met these Princess Millennium crew members on the hiking trail.

DeerMtTrailCouple.jpg

Tom

We are going on May 20, 2014 for the first time to Alaska. The date was partly determined by a free cabin offer that had to be used by the end of May. At first I booked the May 27th departure thinking to make it as late in May as possible, however realized that we would have to fly during Memorial Day weekend which is stupidly expensive so took May 20th instead.

I can see already that Alaska is going to need a second cruise - there's just way to much to see and do for 1 trip!! Next one will be late June to July I think.

I just couldn't pass up the offer and many thanks to Melodie Delany our wonderful PVP for getting us an excellent "inside" room with french doors and obstructed view, which was unexpected but totally appreciated.

We were on the NCL Jewel the first week of September and we had perfect weather... We only needed to wear a hoodie..

I prebooked all our excursions and the only thing was they cancelled my kayaking as I was the only one that booked..

What did we do in Alaska ?

We went snorkeling, we were in front of raft in white water river rafting, we did glass blowing and took a horse trolley ride...

We are going back in May 2014 and doing a back to back cruise including Alaska again and we are going to spend a bit more time shopping

P1030686.jpg

002.jpg

SAM_0821.jpg

SAM_0846.jpg

Our first Alaskan Cruise was in September 2009 - last cruise in Alaska for NCL Sun. We loved it. I love rain and cooler temperatures. It was cloudy in Ketchikan and drizzly the next day for Juneau. We just planned our second Alaskan Cruise yesterday for the last cruise on HAL Westerdam in Alaska next year and we are really looking forward to it. My advise to you is, no matter when you go, get a balcony!!! You won't regret spending the extra money! And the end of season sales are phenomenol!!! Good luck

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in mid June. Inland Passage, Alaska.

Thanks

Same as any other potential in season. Can be cold, can be hotter, rain, dry. You MUST be prepared for a wide range of weather and forget about trying to predict or even consider what it was in the past. It means nothing. You won't know what weather you are getting until you are there, and experiencing it.

Archived