Rome Port Ideas - Celebrity

RowenaMae

I am taking a cruise May 23 on the Reflection and plan to go a few days ahead. Can anyone help me with place to stay (3 nights) and I really need help with the transfers to/from airport and ship.

Appreciate any feedback.

BE in PA:)

Please post more about this hotel, including what you felt were the highs and possible lows of staying there. Going to be in Rome prior to a transatlantic but their reservation system apparently cannot book a year in advance so I am unable to ascertain the price range. Thanks!

Please post more about this hotel, including what you felt were the highs and possible lows of staying there. Going to be in Rome prior to a transatlantic but their reservation system apparently cannot book a year in advance so I am unable to ascertain the price range. Thanks!

TripAdvisor is the far better location for hotel info.

I am taking a cruise May 23 on the Reflection and plan to go a few days ahead. Can anyone help me with place to stay (3 nights) and I really need help with the transfers to/from airport and ship.

Appreciate any feedback.

Loved the Residenza Canali ai Coronari which is just off Piazza Navona. You really want to stay in Rome's center (centro storico) for easy access to the major sites. Last June we rented an apartment near Campo di Fiore and found it to be a less expensive, but even nicer, alternative to a hotel. We'd have stayed at Residenza Canali, but when our group grew to 6 people, found our apartment through VRBO.

I highly recommend RomeLimousinePlus for transfers. On-time and very reasonable, especially if you get others from your roll call to share a van or car. We are using them again in November.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate any feedback.

Hi there, we are on the same cruise,if you go to our roll call you can get lots of help there.We are booked in at the Santa Choice B&B near the Terminal.Six of us are getting together to share transport to the port,we need two more (if we get 8 it will be cheaper.

Cheers Jill

Hi Jilly,

We are staying at the hotel caravita - small little place near the Trevi Fountain area. There are two of us if this works for your company to pick us up that would be great. Please let me know and of course the price as well. I still don't navigate well in Cruise Critic but will look into the roll call. I was on the Reflection for the Inaugural Oct 2012 and it was a great ship.

Bette

Hi there, we are on the same cruise,if you go to our roll call you can get lots of help there.We are booked in at the Santa Choice B&B near the Terminal.Six of us are getting together to share transport to the port,we need two more (if we get 8 it will be cheaper.

Cheers Jill

What is the name of this b&b??

Where is the location

First off, we would never suggest that anyone stay in Civitavecchia for 3 days (this was suggested in another post). With an early arrival you will want to be in Rome. There are literally more then a thousand places to stay in and near Rome so choosing the right place for you can be a daunting task. We really love Venere.com as a place to search for hotels. You also should take a look at Tripadvisor.com where they have a ranking system for hotels and B and Bs. Although we are not huge fans of their rankings, it can be very helpful to read the posted reviews associated with many of their hotels. If you plan on using the Metro while in Rome, make sure you stay at a place that is located relatively close to a Metro station.

Hank

a) The Metro in Rome is extremely limited in usefulness--it is basically a big X with just two lines

b) After making the mistake myself, I would never recommend anyone to stay near Termini, which is the main train station. To maximize your experience, and ease of getting to the main sites, I HIGHLY recommend staying in the Centro Storico, or historic center of Rome. So, any hotel that claims it is close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, Teatro/Largo Argentina, will be ideally situated. 5-10 minute walk to all major attractions. The Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain area is close bu but not right in the heart of the Centro Storico.

The area around Termini is less savoury, has much more tourist oriented restaurants (i.e. worse food at higher prices) and is a longer distance to the sites you will want to visit. The hotels there are cheaper for a reason.

If you stay in the central area, you can walk just about everywhere. The Colosseum is about 15 minutes one way, and the Vatican is 15~ minutes the other way--you will not even need the metro, or buses!

Budget friendly hotels in the area include Hotel Smeraldo, Hotel Navona or Relais Teatro Argentina.