Cutting it too close in Rome? Transfer advice needed

cm1track

We're trying to weigh the quickest, easiest and cheapest ways to get to/from Civitivecchia and the airport. We're getting into Rome 11 am on embarkation day (Wed 10/9) and I'm not too worried about getting to the port/ship before muster call at 4:30 pm, whether we take the train and walk or book a more expensive cab service.

I am a little more concerned about getting off the ship and back to the airport in time to go through customs. We get into port at 6 am and have an 11:50 am flight. I'm figuring if we're able to get off the ship by 7 am (which should be possible in Rome since it's not the main port for the cruise), even if it takes 3 hours to get back to the airport, we should still have nearly 2 hours to get through customs and to our gate. Any thoughts on if this is doable?

(Unfortunately there wasn't another flight home at all on this day with our airline.)

I'm thinking it's worth the 130 euro cost to go with a company like Romecabs to get back, but maybe we should do the train on the way there...

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

A little reading on the board would reveal you don't have as much time as you think you do, in either case.

As far as port to airport, private transfer is really your only choice. Direct flights to the US go thru more security, and that takes time.

Going to the port on sailing date (it is never recommended to arrive on sailing date) you will make it on the train, but getting your bags (which can take an hour at Rome), clearing Passport check, getting a train, and getting to the port is going to take some time. And you need to know all aboard time for your cruise. It won't be 10 minutes before the lifeboat drill, I am sure.

Thanks for the feedback. When we were booking, the info I read suggested a 6-hour window between flight and ship arrival/departure. We knew it would be tight, but would be six hours or very nearly six either way.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about the flights at this point, so it's just trying to figure out the best way to and from. Looks like private transfer both ways is our best option. (I used the words muster drill but I think the all aboard call is for 4:30--boat leaves at 7 pm).

We have been to Civitavecchia many times and think your 11:50 flight is absolutely fine (we have often taken a 10:50 flight). The best way to get from the ship to FCO is to join with a few others (you can do this on your Roll Call) and book a private transfer. We can give a strong recommendation to using Romecabs.com who will meet you at the pier (they will have a sign with your name). The ride to the airport takes just about an hour so you would want to arrange your transfer for about 7:30am.

As to your arrival, we would never want to arrive that late on a departure day. You are assuming your flight will be on time (or at least not too late) but if you are taking a transatlantic flight from the states, anything can happen with the airlines (not to mention your luggage). Like many experienced cruisers we always recommend arriving at least 1 day (or longer) before your cruise. But, assuming your flight arrives at 11 you will probably be ready to leave the airport a little after noon.

If you want to take the train you must be able to easily handle your luggage. And keep in mind that it can take up to 2 hours via train. You would want to take the local train (not the Leonardo Express) which is designated the FR1 Suburban Line and hop off at the Trastevere Station from where you can get on the regional train to Civitavecchia. Neither of these trains require (or accept) reservations. Once you arrive at Civitavecchia you have a 4-5 block walk (its flat) to the port entrance where you can get a free shuttle bus to your ship. You also can take a taxi from the train station right to your ship...but that assumes you can even find a taxi.

By the way, there are some who will tell you to take the Leonardo Express to Rome Termini from where you can get the regional train to Civitavecchia. Not only is this substantially more expensive then the way I specified in the pervious paragraph, but it actually take quite a bit longer. And its a long walk between platforms at Termini.

Hank

I agree, your departure time is not the problem, your arrival is! Personally would not want to take the train a) after a long flight, b) with luggage, and c) with a tight time schedule. We love taking European trains and do so frequently, but in your circumstance would not consider it.

So much easier to have a car service waiting for you at baggage claim and whisk you to the port, where in little more than an hour you can be sipping your first adult beverage and relaxing, instead of schlepping and stressing. . .

Definitely agree that you should book private transfer to meet you at FCO and bring you directly to the pier at Civitavecchia. We use RomeLimousinePlus. All reputable services will monitor your flight in case of delays.

However, in the event your flight is significantly delayed (or even worse, cancelled) to the point you cannot meet the embarkation deadline, where is the next port-of-call? It wouldn't hurt to plan on how to get there, just in case...If it's Naples or Livorno, you can easily take a train.

As a former Girl Scout, "Be Prepared" has stuck with me as a life-long motto!

Archived