Cruising During President's Week?????

GRANNYOFSIX

Thanks in advance for your input:)

We are thinking about taking a 10 day cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur from 2/18/14 - 2/28/14.

We are hoping for more of an adult cruise..........but since we just found out it's President's week we are concerned there may be tons of children.

EVEN ON A 10 DAY CRUISE???? Any advise would be appreciated:):)

I've done a 7 day cruise during presidents week. There didn't seem to be any more kids than any other winter week. Definitely not like summer or spring break! The fact that it is a 10 day cruise makes it even less likely that you will be inundated with kids. :)

I've done a 9 day President's Day cruise on the Explorer and the ship was PACKED with children (including mine.) Not sure if the extra day would make a difference. If you wanted a cruise that was mostly adults, you wouldn't have been happy on the 9 day Explorer.

We cruised on explorer the week before president's week last year and there were, maybe, 150 kids onboard. My DW asked the waiter what the next week (president's week) would be like and he replied... OMG, there will be over 1000 kids onboard. He definitely was not looking forward to it.

I'd try for the week before if you are looking for peace and quiet.!!

Steve

We cruised on explorer the week before president's week last year and there were, maybe, 150 kids onboard. My DW asked the waiter what the next week (president's week) would be like and he replied... OMG, there will be over 1000 kids onboard. He definitely was not looking forward to it.

Steve

Agree. If you are at all flexible, switch to the cruise before.

Steve

I always laugh when I read post where the crew just loved their children.

Try celebrity.

I always laugh when I read post where the crew just loved their children.

Try celebrity.

Thanks again everyone - but do you think since it's a TEN DAY cruise there may be less children????? I can't imagine any school being off for 2 weeks. The cruise departs on a Tuesday. Any thoughts??

Most of the New England states have off for winter break that week. I would expect there would be a lot of kids.

Hope this helps!

President week starts on Monday, 2/17 and runs through Friday, 2/21.........I can see tons of kids on a cruise if it was just a one week cruise. Our cruise goes from Tuesday 2/18 - Friday 2/28 debarkation.........I'm hoping since our cruise continues through the next week parents would not hold their kids out of school that long - 5 school days after President's week......but I guess I'm old school in my thinking............I'm definitely struggling with making a decision..........Sounds like I'm trying to give myself reasons why we should book........but I'm just not sure........and I'm not a wishy washy person.......;)

Thanks again everyone..........keep your opinions coming...........so far there are more posts advising not to go during that week.........I'm reading each post so please, please keep your thoughts coming............I need to make the decision tomorrow...........

I'll never do that week again...the ship was packed with kids. There also seemed to be little control by the parents. They were pushing all the buttons on the elevator, switching the do not disturb to make up room now, and generally being a pain in the butt. If you do it, good luck, you're likely to need it.

One suggestion...look at the roll call for the cruise and note how many people are bringing their children.

It is a representative sample.

We were doing a B2B in May out of San Juan and I became a little concerned at how many people were bringing their children and grandchildren. I didn't know they were out of school before Memorial Day.

We ended up moving our second week to the first week. And after corresponding with an alternate B2B' er....we actually made a very wise decision. They said there were many children and family issues and disruptions on the later week.

One suggestion...look at the roll call for the cruise and note how many people are bringing their children.

It is a representative sample.

We were doing a B2B in May out of San Juan and I became a little concerned at how many people were bringing their children and grandchildren. I didn't know they were out of school before Memorial Day.

We ended up moving our second week to the first week. And after corresponding with an alternate B2B' er....we actually made a very wise decision. They said there were many children and family issues and disruptions on the later week.

I decided late last night to check the roll call.......I was happy to see your response this morning advising to do the same. Most of the posters on the roll call seem to be adults not traveling with children. A few of course mentioned their children but not to many at this point. We took a cruise the end of August to celebrate our anniversary. We didn't THINK many children would be on that cruise since school was either in session or about to start. I DID GET THE FEELING from the roll call that the ship was going to be packed with children and it WAS!! I'm going to check the roll call again this morning.

Thanks again everyone for your advise..........please keep them coming!

I was on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore for February school vacation week 2012. It was a 9 day cruise. I would never cruise that time again. There were at least 500 unruly kids on board with no control whatsoever. In 2014 I am ending my Grandeur cruise right before that week. Good luck with your plans.

I was on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore for February school vacation week 2012. It was a 9 day cruise. I would never cruise that time again. There were at least 500 unruly kids on board with no control whatsoever. In 2014 I am ending my Grandeur cruise right before that week. Good luck with your plans.

Thanks for your response............taking everything in to consideration - part of me still thinks that because the kids will have to miss an entire week of school AFTER President's week there may be less children..........wishful thinking........I know..........

Don't get me wrong..........I love children - we have 6 grandchildren........but when cruising less is better for us........I know we are taking a chance on this cruise..........WE STILL HAVE NOT BOOKED.........

Most of the New England states have off for winter break that week. I would expect there would be a lot of kids.

Hope this helps!

All of Long Island does as well. As an ex-teacher with two children, we used to cruise that week. One cruise we had over 1000 kids, and more than half were teenagers. Next to my spring break cruise, that was the worst!

Archived