Currency exchange

Cqis

Holy Land Tour - Israel, Turkey, Greece and Italy. Should I exchange dollars to Euro's or the local currency? Are dollars excepted most places? I know that I can exchange on ship, but should I do this at a bank before I leave home are at the airport when we arrive in Athens.

I don't remember what I did the last time.

When you are in tourist areas most merchants will accept $US or Euro, but the price will have a built-in exchange premium. In Istanbul our private guide requested to be paid in Euro and took us to a restaurant for lunch where we were given menus priced in Euro. In the Grand Bazaar vendors preferred Euro to $US.

I usually get a small amount of local currency on the ship so that I don't have to make a point of finding a land ATM immediately, and also try to use my Visa card whenever possible.

For those Canadians who use credit cards.....it is finally possible to get a credit card that does NOT tack on a 2.5 percent admin charge to all foreign exchange purchases. This is now the case with Visa a MC..and it is a hidden charge.

These admin free cards have been available in the US for a long time. Not so for us complacent Canadians who see our lot in life as increasing our bank's profitability.

Chase Bank Canada has two card options, an Amazon.ca card, no yearly fee, or a Marriott Rewards card (fee but with good perks).

A friend of mine got the latter and tried it out. Sure enough, there are no conversion charges, ie the currency is converted at the actual exchange rate. We are going to go this route and drop our US funds Visa card as we really only need one card for out of country transactions.

The best rate is almost always at an ATM in the country involved.

Are Euros accepted at your favorite restaurant at home?

Well said. It amazes me that some people expect the rest of the world to accept US dollars.

Be sure to advise your credit card company of your travel prior to leaving.

This is sort of off-topic, but I have a Chase-issued Visa. Recently, they informed me that I no longer need to inform them when I travel overseas. I think it may have something to do with my travel history. I still call them anyway because the practice of calling my credit card holders when I travel is so ingrained in my mind.

Well said. It amazes me that some people expect the rest of the world to accept US dollars.

I think it has to do with past practices. When people travelled 30 years or so ago the US dollar was very sound and many other currencies were fluctuating daily. Also the non-official exchange rate for dollars was much better than the local government controlled rate. So merchants would gladly accept dollars. That said, where I exchange money depends on where we are. In China, I always use banks. In Hong Kong, local money exchange businesses. In Buson, Korea I have often used the same old lady sitting on a chair in an alley near where the shuttle bus drops us. In Japan, exchange booth at the airport. If I just need $10 or $20, I will exchange at the ship's front desk; any more than that I take my chances off ship.

But the simple fact is that in tourist areas they will, with an exchange premium built into the price. In St Petersburg our tour bus stopped at a gift shop where they would ONLY take $US, Euro, or GB pounds - NO Rubles!

This is sort of off-topic, but I have a Chase-issued Visa. Recently, they informed me that I no longer need to inform them when I travel overseas. I think it may have something to do with my travel history. I still call them anyway because the practice of calling my credit card holders when I travel is so ingrained in my mind.

I received the same notice. It is also about those pre-trip charges you have sometimes, when a charge suddenly appears on your account far from your other charges. It had become a pain having to get clearance from Chase when I would book things in advance of our Europe trips. So two days ago, when I booked a hotel in the Cinque Terra that required a deposit, I was sure the charge would get rejected. It didn't- the charge went through, and away we go.

But the simple fact is that in tourist areas they will, with an exchange premium built into the price. In St Petersburg our tour bus stopped at a gift shop where they would ONLY take $US, Euro, or GB pounds - NO Rubles!

Not as many as you think...certainly not as many as in past years. The Euro is very strong right now, the dollar not so much. Taking the dollar is not the wisest business decision.

I have traveled to Europe many times in the last 5 years. The only place I have used dollars was St Petersburg this summer.

I agree there are exceptions but some assume/expect that US$ are acceptable worldwide.

Strangely, Myanmar (Burma) we needed US$ and they had to be new notes without any creases, stains, scribbles, etc. Not easy to obtain here!

Archived