Rental Car in Tauranga

We have used Thrifty in Tauranga. They met us near the ship and took us by shuttle to their office. To get a shuttle back we had to be back by 5pm, and they dropped us off. Or you could get a taxi back if arriving back after 5pm. The service was very good and we were also upgraded with our car. I was able to ring Thrifty from Australia and do the booking over the phone and got a good price for the day.

There is another company who have old cars for hire in Tauranga, whom I would not recommend. We used them and were not impressed.

We have previously booked a van with Pegasus Car Rental and have booked with them again for our visit to Tauranga in November this year. Here are their details

Pegasus Rental Cars

107 Hewletts Road

Mt Maunganui

07 5721141

Book On Line @ http://www.carrentalstauranga.co.nz

We have found them easy to deal with. They will be waiting right outside the gates to the wharf (they aren't allowed inside any more). At the end of the day, we leave the car where we picked it up.

We have previously booked a van with Pegasus Car Rental and have booked with them again for our visit to Tauranga in November this year. Here are their details

Pegasus Rental Cars

107 Hewletts Road

Mt Maunganui

07 5721141

Book On Line @ www.carrentalstauranga.co.nz

We have found them easy to deal with. They will be waiting right outside the gates to the wharf (they aren't allowed inside any more). At the end of the day, we leave the car where we picked it up.

We too have used Pegasus on a number of occasions with no problems, in fact last time we were running late back to ship so had no time to refuel car so rang them and they arranged to refuel for us with no extra charge just the cost of normal fuel price on my card.:)

I can also recommend Pegasus. We used them on a recent NZ cruise and were met at the wharf and taken to their depot and returned to the ship when we returned that afternoon. Friendly staff and clean cars made two satisfied customers.

I used a tour company called cruise Tauranga and they tailed a tour to what I wanted to do for the same cost as other tours they had advertised. They took us on a mini bus that held 10 but there were only 8 of us. The tour company was fantastic and it worked out a lot cheaper than what the ship was charging for a similar but not as personal tour.

The topic is about rental cars in New Zealand, where vehicles drive on the left side of the road. The originator of this thread is from USA, so the reverse would apply - is he used to driving on the left? NZ roads do not have many major freeways and the road from Tauranga to Hobbitown is mainly two way traffic, often with a single lane in each direction. However, traffic is usually relatively light, even when cruise ships are in port.

The topic is about rental cars in New Zealand, where vehicles drive on the left side of the road. The originator of this thread is from USA, so the reverse would apply - is he used to driving on the left? NZ roads do not have many major freeways and the road from Tauranga to Hobbitown is mainly two way traffic, often with a single lane in each direction. However, traffic is usually relatively light, even when cruise ships are in port.

It may be light, but its not much fun when you are stuck behind a huge logging truck.:eek:

I used a tour company called cruise Tauranga and they tailed a tour to what I wanted to do for the same cost as other tours they had advertised. They took us on a mini bus that held 10 but there were only 8 of us. The tour company was fantastic and it worked out a lot cheaper than what the ship was charging for a similar but not as personal tour.

Thank you for your post. I have contacted them to take the tour. I like the idea of fewer passengers than the ship tours and you do usually get to see more.

What did you do about lunch? Did you eat at the Museum? How expensive was it?

If you would like to share any other ideas about the day, please email me at eventschair@aol.com subject: Tauranga

Again thanks

Lorraine:)

Thank you for your post. I have contacted them to take the tour. I like the idea of fewer passengers than the ship tours and you do usually get to see more.

What did you do about lunch? Did you eat at the Museum? How expensive was it?

If you would like to share any other ideas about the day, please email me at eventschair@aol.com subject: Tauranga

Again thanks

Lorraine:)

We went to Te Puia in Rotorua to see the thermal springs etc. and had lunch there in the take-away shop. Prices for hamburgers and similar things were quite reasonable - probably a little less expensive than I was expecting.

I can recommend RitePrice Rentals. We rented a van Jan 2011 and took 10 CCers on a private tour to Rotorua. We were quite impressed with their service.

Do not get complacent about light traffic! When we arrived back in Mt Maunganui the traffic was bumper to bumper as it was school holidays, public holiday and the Surf Champs were on!!! We made it back to the ship with 10 mins to spare.

Archived