any affects from Government shutdown?

myeos

How was Liberty and the 2.0 upgrades? DW and I have sailed Liberty 2 times previously (before 2.0) and she is 1 of our favorite CCL ships.:D

Only 2 things really affect us. Love the guys burgers and burrito bar is also very good.

EA sports bar is nice but already had a place to watch football so no biggie. Couldnt figure out video games at the bar and nobody was around to show me so that didnt matter.

That they added some new bars no big deal to us.

Overall a great cruise but sure wish they would improve entertainment.

We just got off the Sensation on Thurs., and there were no issues with Customs at Port Canaveral. They were there ready and waiting for us. I think they may have furloughed the drug sniffing dogs, there were none present...lol For those on here waiting to go back to work, hope Congress gets their acts together so you can start booking again ;)

Just back from the Liberty going to San Juan and St Thomas

Went to old fort El Moro and it was locked up but nice to walk the grounds.

We took ferry from St Thomas to St John to go to beach.

didnt realize beaches would be closed due to govt shutdown but taxi driver took us to Trunk Bay and we made up with him to come back in two hours.

We walked around barricades to beach and about 40 people were there. No bathrooms or restaurants open but we had great time in the water.

We saw quite a few customs guards as we got off ship in Miami yesterday and went thru real fast.

So what I'm getting from this is... if you want to go to Trunk Bay you can! Just that 1. you won't have to pay and 2. it's going to be a lot less crowded!!!

(alright the bathrooms could be an issue, lol)

I hadn't planned on going there on our cruise....but if the shutdown is still in effect it might be an option! Last time I was there (20+ years ago) it was before it got so popular, so I just couldn't see myself going when there would be lots of people.

So what I'm getting from this is... if you want to go to Trunk Bay you can! Just that 1. you won't have to pay and 2. it's going to be a lot less crowded!!!

(alright the bathrooms could be an issue, lol)

I hadn't planned on going there on our cruise....but if the shutdown is still in effect it might be an option! Last time I was there (20+ years ago) it was before it got so popular, so I just couldn't see myself going when there would be lots of people.

Didnt seem like they would charge to get on the beach but would have been nice to have at least a snack bar. Didnt think of this so didnt bring food or water with us.

Did notice that the ship tours going to St John were cancelled but didnt know the exact reason.

Didnt seem like they would charge to get on the beach but would have been nice to have at least a snack bar. Didnt think of this so didnt bring food or water with us.

Did notice that the ship tours going to St John were cancelled but didnt know the exact reason.

Actually they do charge you to go to Trunk Bay... it's not a lot but I hate paying to go to a beach, then add that it is really crowded when you go when on a cruise...

Actually they do charge you to go to Trunk Bay... it's not a lot but I hate paying to go to a beach, then add that it is really crowded when you go when on a cruise...

Beautiful beach and dont think I would mind (do pay extra for Megans Bay) but if we go back and would like to would probably try another beach in St John next time.

Beautiful beach and dont think I would mind (do pay extra for Megans Bay) but if we go back and would like to would probably try another beach in St John next time.

Yeah you do have to pay to get in Megans Bay (and to get there), then pay for a water mat, and a chair/lounger. But as you say, so worth it for this beach.

Yeah you do have to pay to get in Megans Bay (and to get there), then pay for a water mat, and a chair/lounger. But as you say, so worth it for this beach.

They have a really nice covered beach bar at Megan's Bay too. It poured rain while we were there, but we stayed nice and dry under the bar cover. We finally got tired of waiting for the rain to stop and went back to the ship where the sun was shining brightly. Typical Caribbean weather. Lol.

Trunk Bay is supposedly almost normal again according to this article dated the 6th.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2013/10/06/vi-national-park-beaches-open

It doesn't mention the popular snorkel trail though. I suspect the gear rental booth is closed, but I imagine you're good if you have your own stuff.

Well it appears the security screening lines at Nashville International Airport are starting to cause people to miss their flights. The airlines are blaming it on the TSA--the federal agency that does airport screening. I thought the 2 hour rule applied to international flights, but it looks like it applies to domestic flights too now. I can't help but think that poor morale is starting to impact federal workers. Heads up to those flying to their cruise port. Give yourself extra time for screening.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/23667233/lines-at-nashville-airport

I hope that Congress gets their act together before I cruise in early November.

I'm glad those furloughed will get backpay for the time they are affected. Deferred vacation pay for time off in October. I bet regular vacation entitlements will be unaffected. So extra vacation with deferred pay for the "shutdown" part.

Makes one wonder how many of these govt bureaucrats are really needed.

If they didnt pay congresss and their staffs during this shutdown it would probably last about 7 secondsicon13.gif

If they didn't get paid, there would have never been talk of a shutdown, much less would it have even happened. Let's face, they do not have to play by the same rules as you and I, the taxpayers.

Archived