any affects from Government shutdown?

myeos

any cruisers this week experience any ill affects from the shutdown? Just wondering if port security, customs, etc might be slower due to cutbacks or furloughs? Just like to be prepared, but hoping things will be worked out in a month when we go.

Yea, I was just trying to research Alaska for another thread and the National Park Service web page is down 'because of the of Federal Government shutdown.':rolleyes: You are redirected to the Department of Interior. Really? A webpage gets shutdown?

We cruise on the 12 th. My DH works for the gov and if the shutdown still going on he will not get vacation pay while gone.

Unfortunately my parents are in the same situation as you are, my mom is a stay at home mom so my dad's income is it. I am paying for them to go on their first cruise with my wife and two kids in January. Hopefully they get this figured out quick so my parents don't have to dip into their savings for the cruise

national parks are shut so no rainforest tours in San Juan and also the forts there are closed and some beaches

Lots of beaches and snorkeling/dives closed in st john as these are in the marine national park - lots of info re both places closures in tripadvisor.

TSA, CBP, Air Traffic controllers and some passport offices are open. Passport offices in closed buildings won't be accessible. In LA that means no going to the Wilshire building for last minute passports.

national parks are shut so no rainforest tours in San Juan and also the forts there are closed and some beaches

Lots of beaches and snorkeling/dives closed in st john as these are in the marine national park - lots of info re both places closures in tripadvisor.

Well, there goes my plans for San Juan if this goes to the end of the month :( ...guess it may be time to find a spot to pull up and sunbathe...which is ok with me too ;) I try to be a glass-half-full gal.

Yea, I was just trying to research Alaska for another thread and the National Park Service web page is down 'because of the of Federal Government shutdown.':rolleyes: You are redirected to the Department of Interior. Really? A webpage gets shutdown?

Yeah, I was trying to get to NOAA to find out more about the tropical storm in the gulf...same type of message

I heard on the news that passport offices would be closed, so there may be a delay in that area.

That is not correct. I've heard quite the opposite several times from various news sources. Here's one of them...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/good-news-for-travelers-you-can-still-get-a-passport-contact-embassies-despite-government-shutdown/

That is not correct. I've heard quite the opposite several times from various news sources. Here's one of them...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/good-news-for-travelers-you-can-still-get-a-passport-contact-embassies-despite-government-shutdown/

The wife just turned in her passport for a name change a day ago. From what I have read it's only if the passport office is located within a government building that is being shut down, which makes sense.

That's not the only one. I tried to research weather for our cruise next week and got the same message, redirected elsewhere AND even tho I entered noaa dot org, the website name automatically changed to what's listed below.

http://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov/

A fellow worker told me her mother was packed and ready to head to Florida for a cruise. She got a call this morning saying the cruise was cancelled due to the shut down. I do not believe that is true, but that is what her Mother told her. She knew nothing else because she was heading out the door to work. Something is fishy somewhere.

A fellow worker told me her mother was packed and ready to head to Florida for a cruise. She got a call this morning saying the cruise was cancelled due to the shut down. I do not believe that is true, but that is what her Mother told her. She knew nothing else because she was heading out the door to work. Something is fishy somewhere.

I agree! If that were the case, we CCers would be the first to find out since everyone loves to be the first to come on here and share that kind of info.

MAybe her cruise was on a navy vessel ?????

I never did like those friend of a friend rumors. We all know how those work out.:rolleyes:

Yeah the shutdown will affect my cruise....I've been furloughed since last Monday and it looks like I won't be going back to work before we depart on the 12th, Cruise is paid for, but big-time spending during the cruise will have to be cut back.

I heard on the news that passport offices would be closed, so there may be a delay in that area.

Apparently passport processing is considered to be funded by the fees, so most of the processing is continuing.

Yeah, I was trying to get to NOAA to find out more about the tropical storm in the gulf...same type of message

Use http://www.weather.gov -- NOAA's site is down but weather.gov is considered an essential life-and-death service.

The message reads:

"Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated

web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown."

That's not the only one. I tried to research weather for our cruise next week and got the same message, redirected elsewhere AND even tho I entered noaa dot org, the website name automatically changed to what's listed below.

http://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov/

I've been on the NOAA website all week long!!! It's www.nhc.noaa.gov. Been able to access everything! That link takes you straight to the National Hurricane Center.

They closed down the passport offices that were in two of our post offices and the office located inside fresno state university, but i was able to find a passport office is not located in a federal building so I was able to go down Wednesday to apply for my Grandkids passports:) I was told 4 to 6 weeks processing which is the normal time. I had no clue I would find the only open passport processing center in our local marriage license building...I'm one happy Grandma:)

Just back from the Liberty going to San Juan and St Thomas

Went to old fort El Moro and it was locked up but nice to walk the grounds.

We took ferry from St Thomas to St John to go to beach.

didnt realize beaches would be closed due to govt shutdown but taxi driver took us to Trunk Bay and we made up with him to come back in two hours.

We walked around barricades to beach and about 40 people were there. No bathrooms or restaurants open but we had great time in the water.

We saw quite a few customs guards as we got off ship in Miami yesterday and went thru real fast.

Just back from the Liberty going to San Juan and St Thomas

Went to old fort El Moro and it was locked up but nice to walk the grounds.

We took ferry from St Thomas to St John to go to beach.

didnt realize beaches would be closed due to govt shutdown but taxi driver took us to Trunk Bay and we made up with him to come back in two hours.

We walked around barricades to beach and about 40 people were there. No bathrooms or restaurants open but we had great time in the water.

We saw quite a few customs guards as we got off ship in Miami yesterday and went thru real fast.

How was Liberty and the 2.0 upgrades? DW and I have sailed Liberty 2 times previously (before 2.0) and she is 1 of our favorite CCL ships.:D

Archived