Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

While there may not be total acceptance among all passengers or readers here, a blazer, dress shirt, tie and dress pants are generally viewed as meeting the current dress rules.

I suppose I should chip in here and point out that nowhere in the Celebrity dress code are ties mentioned.

I suppose I should chip in here and point out that nowhere in the Celebrity dress code are ties mentioned.

While you are correct that it is not mentioned, Formal wear generally includes a tie (Bowtie) for men.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

While you are correct that it is not mentioned, Formal wear generally includes a tie (Bowtie) for men.:D

Ah, my mistake. I shall also make sure to bring my top hat and cane next time. ;)

Most people dress accordingly for dinner doesn't matter which cruise line..... ;)

Nice outfits, hair done, showered, make-up if your a lady, etc....

However, there are a few that just don't care. :cool::rolleyes:

I gather you DH was ok (comfortable) not having a jacket when he saw others without.

Edited by ZsaZsaZoom

Nor does the code specify that you must wear socks or shoes on formal nights, but there is a certain expectation that passengers will use a modicum of common sense. I might point out that the dress code also doesn't specify that you must wear a bathing suit in the swimming pools. Hopefully that isn't sufficient reason for people to start skinny dipping! :eek:

Nor does the code specify that you must wear socks or shoes on formal nights, but there is a certain expectation that passengers will use a modicum of common sense. I might point out that the dress code also doesn't specify that you must wear a bathing suit in the swimming pools. Hopefully that isn't sufficient reason for people to start skinny dipping! :eek:

"Ties" and "common sense" have always seemed mutually exclusive to me. As for shoes and socks - I guess they have their uses :)

Hopefully that isn't sufficient reason for people to start skinny dipping! :eek:

I would like to see that but not on a princess cruise,:eek: perhaps a carnival cruise where the average age drops by 30-40 years.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Ok so I have never cruised celebrity but my boyfriend just switched from being an entertainment host with carnival to working on the reflection with celebrity and i am really nervous about this dress code debacle. I'm assuming I should probably wear a long gown since he is required to wear a tuxedo on formal nights but are my shorter dresses inappropriate? Nothing would be "hanging out" but some are above the knee short and I don't want to make him look bad haha thanks for the response!

Ok so I have never cruised celebrity but my boyfriend just switched from being an entertainment host with carnival to working on the reflection with celebrity and i am really nervous about this dress code debacle. I'm assuming I should probably wear a long gown since he is required to wear a tuxedo on formal nights but are my shorter dresses inappropriate? Nothing would be "hanging out" but some are above the knee short and I don't want to make him look bad haha thanks for the response!

If youv'e got it flaunt it. :p

I would ask your boyfriend if he would like you in those type of dresses or in the longer gowns and then decide. Quite often it is the accessories that jazz up an outfit and make it much more formal for women anyway. Good luck.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

• 1 month later...

I just got off the Century. 2 weeks in Hawaii.

We had select dining. The hostess at the door was a charming and fun person who really made it fun to come to dinner every night.

My wife and I decided not to bring any formal wear on this cruise.

Blue jeans are the only pants I packed, other than shorts and swimwear.

My jeans are all clean and neat, no holes or tears.

My shirts are all "smart casual". Most have a collar. I did not bring a tie.

I wore a nice pair of leather shoes every evening.

On "formal nights", I added a corduroy sport coat, and selected a nicer shirt (with buttons). But I still wore jeans.

Essentially, the difference between my formal night attire and my casual night attire was the addition of a sport coat. Men who came to dinner without a jacket or coat were offered a simple black jacket at the door, which they would only need to wear while walking to the table.

I took my coat off every night when seated, as did many other people.

We met a couple of new friends on board, and dined with them every night. They had similar dress habits, so everyone at our table was comfortable.

If I were seated at a table with tuxedos and gowns, I would probably ask for a private table so as not to break the mood.

The dress code is not applied consistently, as you can see from my experience. My sport coat is not a "dinner jacket", and I know that. But it was good enough, and I looked clean cut.

I have grown tired of formal night. This is my new cruise plan: bring a sport coat for formal night, and simplify the packing problem. One style of clothes is really all you need: as long as they are clean and neat, you won't feel out of place, and you will probably not be given any trouble by the MDR staff.

Of course, your mileage may vary :-)

...I have grown tired of formal night. This is my new cruise plan: bring a sport coat for formal night, and simplify the packing problem. One style of clothes is really all you need: as long as they are clean and neat, you won't feel out of place, and you will probably not be given any trouble by the MDR staff.

All of this works for me and that is what I do as well.

Now let's get ready to hear the pro-formal folks tell us that it does not meet the dress code, we should dine in the buffet or use room service, we are disrespectful to others, we should choose another cruise line, yada, yada, yada!:rolleyes:

I've read several other threads regarding the dress code on Celebrity, and now this one. Although I love to be casual in shorts and t-shirts, I also respect a request for the attire on formal nights. Through most of my career, I wore suits and sometimes sport coats and dress slacks with a shirt and tie. As a member of the baby boomers, that is how you were expected to dress for business attire. It wasn't consider formal, but business attire. Celebrity has continued to have formal nights and accordingly set a suggested standard. When you sign up for a cruise on Celebrity, you know that the formal nights are part of the cruise for the MDR, and you accept & agree with the terms of the cruise. So, to ignore the suggested dress code, because you don't think it should be that way is like saying the speed limit is 65, but I want to go 85, and then complaining about getting a speeding ticket. I will not wear a tuxedo on our Celebrity cruise in January, but will wear either a suit or sport coat with tie. A recent review of a December 7th cruise on the Celebrity reflection included copies of the daily schedule for the cruise. In the daily schedule, they defined formal as: Ladies; Cocktail Dress, Gown, or Pant suit. Gentlemen; Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks. It boggles my mind that someone can think that jeans and a nice shirt fit into that description. Having said all of this, I will conform to the formal dress code on our cruise, and will not let how others dress affect my enjoyment on the cruise. "Life is good", enjoy it while you can!

The dress code is not applied consistently, as you can see from my experience. My sport coat is not a "dinner jacket", and I know that. But it was good enough, and I looked clean cut.

Coming up on our Solstice cruise, for formal nights I will also wear the sport coat with a smart collar shirt, and a pair of trousers. I hope that I also will not have any problems.

Why all this endless friction about formal dress?

Would it be possible to cut through a lot of these problems, misunderstandings, and posturing over the formal night issue simply by Celebrity setting aside and roping off a specific area of the MDR, on formal nights only, where only those in strict compliance with the dress code may dine, and others who don't wish to participate dine in another part of the room? That way, everyone could dress as they wish and not around others who don't see it their way. Perhaps a complimentary glass of champagne could even be provided in the formal area to reward those who comply with the rules, not to mention provide a positive incentive.

I just got off the Century. 2 weeks in Hawaii.

We had select dining. The hostess at the door was a charming and fun person who really made it fun to come to dinner every night.

My wife and I decided not to bring any formal wear on this cruise.

Blue jeans are the only pants I packed, other than shorts and swimwear.

My jeans are all clean and neat, no holes or tears.

My shirts are all "smart casual". Most have a collar. I did not bring a tie.

I wore a nice pair of leather shoes every evening.

On "formal nights", I added a corduroy sport coat, and selected a nicer shirt (with buttons). But I still wore jeans.

Essentially, the difference between my formal night attire and my casual night attire was the addition of a sport coat. Men who came to dinner without a jacket or coat were offered a simple black jacket at the door, which they would only need to wear while walking to the table.

I took my coat off every night when seated, as did many other people.

We met a couple of new friends on board, and dined with them every night. They had similar dress habits, so everyone at our table was comfortable.

If I were seated at a table with tuxedos and gowns, I would probably ask for a private table so as not to break the mood.

I have grown tired of formal night. This is my new cruise plan: bring a sport coat for formal night, and simplify the packing problem. One style of clothes is really all you need: as long as they are clean and neat, you won't feel out of place, and you will probably not be given any trouble by the MDR staff.

Of course, your mileage may vary :-)

While I do not agree with you choosing not to dress in the requested manner on formal nights - I do appreciate :D that fact that you would not wish to alter the ambiance for those that have dressed formally.

I've read several other threads regarding the dress code on Celebrity, and now this one. Although I love to be casual in shorts and t-shirts, I also respect a request for the attire on formal nights. Through most of my career, I wore suits and sometimes sport coats and dress slacks with a shirt and tie. As a member of the baby boomers, that is how you were expected to dress for business attire. It wasn't consider formal, but business attire. Celebrity has continued to have formal nights and accordingly set a suggested standard. When you sign up for a cruise on Celebrity, you know that the formal nights are part of the cruise for the MDR, and you accept & agree with the terms of the cruise. So, to ignore the suggested dress code, because you don't think it should be that way is like saying the speed limit is 65, but I want to go 85, and then complaining about getting a speeding ticket. I will not wear a tuxedo on our Celebrity cruise in January, but will wear either a suit or sport coat with tie. A recent review of a December 7th cruise on the Celebrity reflection included copies of the daily schedule for the cruise. In the daily schedule, they defined formal as: Ladies; Cocktail Dress, Gown, or Pant suit. Gentlemen; Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks. It boggles my mind that someone can think that jeans and a nice shirt fit into that description. Having said all of this, I will conform to the formal dress code on our cruise, and will not let how others dress affect my enjoyment on the cruise. "Life is good", enjoy it while you can!

If you wear a sports coat, you aren't following the dress code. The dress code calls for a "dinner jacket" not just any jacket. Like with your speeding analogy, you are not exceeding the speed limit enough to get pulled over (72 in a 65) but you still aren't following the law. I'm not suggesting that you are wrong to just wear a sport coat, but what I am suggesting is that aren't you doing what you accuse others of doing in your post?

In truth, I think Celebrity ought to dump the current formal night definition and specifically permit sport coats and blazers.

If you wear a sports coat, you aren't following the dress code. The dress code calls for a "dinner jacket" not just any jacket. Like with your speeding analogy, you are not exceeding the speed limit enough to get pulled over (72 in a 65) but you still aren't following the law. I'm not suggesting that you are wrong to just wear a sport coat, but what I am suggesting is that aren't you doing what you accuse others of doing in your post?

In truth, I think Celebrity ought to dump the current formal night definition and specifically permit sport coats and blazers.

Here again we seem to be looking at a lack of consistency on Celebrity's part which might understandably create some confusion in the minds of passengers. While the Celebrity website does say "dinner jacket" as pointed out by BKFlowerMound, according to Ordinary Chef, the ship's daily schedule simply indicated "jacket".

Here again we seem to be looking at a lack of consistency on Celebrity's part which might understandably create some confusion in the minds of passengers. While the Celebrity website does say "dinner jacket" as pointed out by BKFlowerMound, according to Ordinary Chef, the ship's daily schedule simply indicated "jacket".

Thank you!!! :D Have a great Christmas and New Year. :)

I hope you would reconsider this avowal. I always wear a tux on formal nights because I like to but I don't expect everyone to. I might miss meeting interesting people if they won't sit with me because of what I am wearing!

Only if a man gets turned away for wearing an evening gown on formal night.

I have noticed that when there men in gowns on a cruise that they are gowned to the nines and dressed better than most of the women. Took my three and five year old grandsons on a carnival cruise that had a significant number of men in drag in the late seating in the MDR. As we left the early seating and walked thru the lounge the boys were bedazzled by all the pretty ladies.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app