Diet/Slimline Tonic on the Eclipse?

ronay2006

Thanks for the quick replies.

There are plenty of other drinks he likes but does enjoy a G & T (not soda) but needs to be the diet type as he is diabetic.

We may just take some with us to use in our cabin for pre dinner drinks if there's none at any of the bars.

I have only seen regular tonic soda

Tonic and soda are two different things. Tonic has quinine and sugar while Soda is sometimes carbonated with sodium.

OP, I try to avoid sugary drinks as well and often squeeze a couple limes in my ____ and sodas. If you can't find diet-tonic and absolutely need the sweet taste, carry some artificial sweeteners around with you.

Edited by playadelwes

Playadelwes, in some parts of US soda is the generic term for carbonated drinks, shortened from the old 'soda pop' just as in other parts the word 'pop' is used. Not to be confused with 'club soda' so it isn't wrong for those on the East Coast to refer to 'tonic soda' while others call it 'tonic water' or simply 'tonic'

ronay2006, my husband and I both drink G&T's and have ordered them on board previously. I presumed they were giving us diet/light versions as that is what we asked for but maybe next time we will confirm and I would suggest your husband informs server of the reason for his request in case they are careless with the bottles when pouring.

I took my own last month. I've only ever found diet tonic water on ONE cruise. It wasn't in every bar, just one. I always ask, just in case, and this one time they had a couple of bottles. Don't count on it being there!!

• 10 months later...

As Eclipse is sailing out of Southampton at the moment does anyone know if they have stocked up on Slimline/Diet Tonic to cater for us Brits?

RCI Brilliance did when it sailed out of the UK last year.

Soda water and fresh lime is an ok alternative but does not beat slimline tonic :-)

Thank you for any responses

Playadelwes, in some parts of US soda is the generic term for carbonated drinks, shortened from the old 'soda pop' just as in other parts the word 'pop' is used. Not to be confused with 'club soda' so it isn't wrong for those on the East Coast to refer to 'tonic soda' while others call it 'tonic water' or simply 'tonic'

Good post.

And if that isn't confusing enough then there are us Canadians who call them Soft Drinks (but understand also the term Pop)

I've even heard of places in the USA that call all soft drinks colas... That really is confusing. (Not so much for actual cola drinks... Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola... But it sure is when someone says they want a 7Up Cola)

Up here, we refer to the two "clear mixers" in Question as... Club Soda & Tonic Water or shortened down to in a drink request to just Soda or Tonic (ie Gin & Soda or Gin & Tonic)

Cheers!

You're welcome!

In North Amercia, we can get them in a lot of stores, too, if you don't want to order online. Not grocery stores, but stores like Walmart, Target, etc. I don't know what the equivalent is of those stores in the UK. They're sold in the section with the Soda Stream machines, usually near the pod coffee makers like Keurig and Tassimo.

Edited by gi_pam

When we sailed on the Eclipse last November a friend drank Gin and Slimline tonic. They had it on board in all the bars.

Our most recent cruise in April on the Millenium they also had it. I know because on one occasion they accidentally mixed it in my gin instead of the regular tonic and I hate the taste of it. I find it artificially sweet tasting. They apologized and replaced my drink right away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can anyone tell me if they have slimline tonic in any of the bars on the Eclipse?

We have the Classic drink package for our first Celebrity cruise next May & my partner can only take the diet type in his gin.

I've sailed twice on the Eclipse and they definitely have the Diet Tonic available.

• 3 weeks later...