Feedback on Venice Plan Please

cleobella

I am interested in anyone's feedback on this tentative itinerary for a few days in Venice. I'd like to mix sightseeing with some time just to soak up the culture.

Day 1 (arrival around noon):-vapporetto ride and just hang out in St Mark's Square.

Day 2: Doge's Secret Itinerary Tour, 2 hour city tour and shopping.

Day 3 (have to be on ship btw noon -3pm): Visit Accademia.

Then we have 1 day post cruise and we could go to Murano and Burano Island. Does that sound OK? Also, is it worth hiring a guide to Doges Secret Tour? It seems like you get a guide anyway with ticket? Any thing I should add?

"Mille Grazie"

Spend time in St. Mark's after dark when all of the daytrippers have gone. The orchestras perform and the crowds are manageable. Wander away from the tourist areas and you will find yourself in delightful little campos and get a peek of the real Venice. Murano and Burano would be nice for that extra day.

Enjoy your time in my favorite city in the world. We are going back next month for only an overnight - I don't know how we will manage that!

Dawn

This sounds like a good plan. We will soon be in Venice for 3 days pre-cruise, too, our second visit there. We also have the Secret Doges tour scheduled and it does include a guide for that portion of the visit. Then you can visit other portions of the palace on your own. A guide for that part really isn't necessary. We also plan to visit Burano and Torcello. Visited Murano last time. Piazza San Marco can be magical at night, if the weather is good.

Triptychs- aren't they what you get from AAA when you want routing from one place to another:rolleyes:?

Re: Accademia- IDK when you will be in Venice, cleobella, but there is currently a DaVinci special exhibit at the Accademia that includes his Vetruvian man drawing. You will need to get tickets for that exhibit at 16 euro per person-www.gallerieaccademia.org/category/exhibitions-and-events/current/?lang=en. We ordered ours online.

Re: Secret Itineraries- we enjoyed this tour very much despite the heat of late June!

Re: Murano/Burano- we hope to visit these islands later this month and I'll be happy to post back about our experience.

I might substitute the Peggy Guggenheim Collection for the Accademia. . .it's a lovely setting in what used to be her home and I think worth seeing.

Once you do the secret itinerary be sure to allow time to visit the main part of the Doge's Palace; we were so tired of being inside on a glorious Venetian day that we missed a lot of pretty cool stuff.

Archived