Age demographic on princess?

ripjerry95

Hi there- I am 44 and hubby is 50. We have cruised twice on carnival and twice on NCL. I am looking at princess line to try something new. I got the impression that princess caters to an older demographic. Would we be okay on a 7-10 cruise? This is not meant as an insult to the older generation. We socialize with all ages while on cruises. Actually an older demographic may mean less children. Which we wouldn't mind either . Happy cruising :)

Kim

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I think you'll feel just fine on Princess. We've been cruising Princess almost exclusively for 7 years now. Started in our early/mid 40's and are now 51 and 52. We usually sail a 7 day caribbean itinerary in March or April and have enjoyed seeing and meeting people of all ages - from teens on up. When and where you cruise and the length may change the age demographics, as I think it would on any cruiseline.

Lots depends on the time of the year and the length of the cruise as far as the pax base goes!

We very much enjoyed Princess when we were in in our 30's and continue to love Princess now that we are in our 60's. :)

While we still cruise on other cruise lines from time to time, Princess is the best fit for us and where we normally take longer than 10 night cruises.

Very much hope you'll give Princess a try to see for your own self! ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Lots depends on the time of the year and the length of the cruise as far as the pax base goes!
I agree. Longer cruises while kids are in school are far more likely to have an older demographic no matter which line you're sailing. Short (seven days or less) cruises are more likely to have younger cruisers, particularly during the holidays or school vacations.

Princess offers a more laid back, less high-energy passenger experience. Entertainment, food and service is varied and good. It really is "escape completely."

Hi there- I am 44 and hubby is 50. We have cruised twice on carnival and twice on NCL. I am looking at princess line to try something new. I got the impression that princess caters to an older demographic. Would we be okay on a 7-10 cruise? This is not meant as an insult to the older generation. We socialize with all ages while on cruises. Actually an older demographic may mean less children. Which we wouldn't mind either . Happy cruising :)

Kim

I think you are correct in saying that it may mean there are less children aboard. I am 31 and DH is 32 and we are excited about relaxing on our Princess cruise.

Generally speaking the normal is the middle age for the cruisers. We have sailed at least 9 times and even during our March 2013 (last week of spring breaks) cruise with about 750 under the age of 21 there are not a large number of young people on most of the cruises we have been on. We like the demographics on Princess.

Previous Cruises

Alaska 2008 – Island Princess

Alaska 2009 – Island Princess

Alaska 2010 – Royal Princess

Alaska 2011 – Golden Princess

Alaska 2012 – Star Princess

Panama Canal 2012 – Coral Princess

Western Caribbean – Crown Princess

Alaska 2013 – Island Princess

Future Cruises

Western Caribbean 2013 – Caribbean Princess

Southern Caribbean 2014 – Royal Princess

We very much enjoyed Princess when we were in in our 30's and continue to love Princess now that we are in our 60's. :)

Have you seen Captain Stubing, Doc, Julie and Isaac?!?!?! :D

Joking! :)

We cruised with Princess 5 times since we were 33-34, now early 40-ies, and always had good mix of passengers on 7-9 dayers in Caribbeans and N Europe.

Have you seen Captain Stubing, Doc, Julie and Isaac?!?!?! :D

Joking! :)

:D Never met them and still so wish our cabins had been the size of those on "Love Boat"! :D

:rolleyes: No joke ... our best cabins back then were ones with windows (rather than port holds) as close as possible the Purser's Desk because that's where the safety deposit boxes were ... no in cabin safe back then.

LuLu

~~~~

Thank you for this info!

Now I know why Miss Roz Rogers (Hollywood actress) kept her diamond in the safe behind purser's desk. :D

Cabins did look huge!

We moved to US almost 10 years after this show ended and only several years ago discovered this great show! Still waiting for release of seasons #3 - 10. :)

Edited by Tatka

Kim

What is it that would make you question whether you would be "okay?" In what way would the age demographic (whatever it is) impact your okay-ness? You have said you socialize with all ages, and that you wouldn't mind cruising with few children...

What do you imagine "catering to an older demographic," if Princess does indeed do this, would mean? What demographic does your ideal cruise line cater to, and how does it cater to that demographic?

Perhaps asking specific questions about ship "culture" or "atmosphere," such as types of activities and entertainment, prevalence of walkers or motorized scooters, availability of late evening activities, etc. might reveal more useful information than simple age demographic would...

Edited by SeagoingMom

Kim

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

You are correct in that Princess does cater to an older demographic and their activities are geared in that way too. We sail Princess and tend to do longer cruises and even though we are in our late 50's the average age seems to be in their late 60's and plus. It is not really a happening demographic if that is what you are looking for even though in their minds they thing they are. NCL, RC and Carnival cater to a more youthful passenger. :)

You are correct in that Princess does cater to an older demographic and their activities are geared in that way too. We sail Princess and tend to do longer cruises and even though we are in our late 50's the average age seems to be in their late 60's and plus. It is not really a happening demographic if that is what you are looking for even though in their minds they thing they are. NCL, RC and Carnival cater to a more youthful passenger. :)

Well, again... it all depends on itinerary and season. THE OLDEST crowd we experienced so far was on our last 7 dayer to Canada/NE on RC ship. I heard the same assessment of the NCL crowd (Dawn 11 dayer out of Tampa in off season), while our passengers mix on the same ship during the summer to Bermuda was completely different. :)

I am 46 and hubby is 52. We have been sailing with Princess since our early 20's. We now have a 12 and 5 year old that tag along. In all my years aboard Princess, I have never found that it wasn't the right cruise for us demographically. We have enjoyed each and every cruise we taken with them. We mostly sail the Caribbean and 7day cruises if that helps. My children absolutely love Princess. They spend the majority of their time in the kids programs so they are not running around the ships at all. What I'm trying to say is I think Princess is for everyone! Its what you make it! "Escape Completely!":):):):):):)

A few year ago my Mother moved in to an an over fifties community, ( she was 68 at the time). When I visited I asked her if she had made any friends yet to which she replied "no they are all old people here we have nothing in common". I was shocked that she did not view herself as old. Now I am 53 I often catch ,myself refering to people in their late 50's 60's as old but really I am not that far behind them and probably have a lot more in common with them than folk in their 20's & 30's.

One of the best cruises we ever did was Holland Americas South American cruise and I really was one of the younger guests on board.

We are really, really old and hate to have a good time. :p

We have sailed with this very very old couple, had to charge their scooters for them.. Hi Helen, Ken and Pam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, again... it all depends on itinerary and season.

I agree. 1) We try to book before school holidays start (ie long summer hols in OZ) ie Nov or before Uni starts ie February. AND we get hundreds of fun uni students 18 to 24 year olds - great fun for trivia, adventure tours eg bungee jumping etc. 2) One Dawn Princess cruise the first ever to circumnavigate OZ - for 28 days and the cruise director joked "that the average age of the passengers was deceased". Well every one was between 75 and 95 years old. Real interesting veterans.

3) we love all ages, and all types. But you have to pick the itinerary and the weeks carefully. cheers, (I am 56)

We are older than those mentioned here and enjoy cruising with people of all ages. Hope the younger crowd doesn't mind that we are on board with them. :eek:

Cindy

As they say, age is just a number! I love cruising with people of all different ages and nationalities. That's why we love anytime dining too, every night is different with new people to meet and experiences to share. :)

I'm on the Crown as we speak - my 77 year old mother said it's like an old folks home as there are few "younger" people. ! At this time of year in Europe the average age is "elderly", with many frail, but hats off to them as most are using walking sticks rather than taking to electric buggies to get around and they are having a great time in their own way.

I'm having a great time and End of day age is only a number. (I'm one of the young ones at 50).

A cruise is what you make of it, so just enjoy