Diminished Elite Benefits?

AJs Grandpa

On the Golden in the summer, I got the bar setup but nothing in the bathroom. I didnt bother to ask him, he was pretty lame. I had a food stain on my sheet (from me being messy) and he didnt change the sheet. Oh well, as long as I get towels I am happy.

It would have changed in a moment if you had asked.:)

The steward is responsible for stocking the cabin and he/she is very busy on turn-around day. It would be very easy for him/her to miss getting everything in the cabin during this busy time.

However, one only has to ask for any missing items. We have never had a problem on any voyage getting slippers and robes (even before we were Elite). Stewards, like any of us, respond to courteous interaction with those with whom they come in contact.

As far as the "upgraded" bathroom items, we have no idea of we have gotten them or not. They are of no import to the enjoyment of our cruise.

P&J

I was under the impression that you could not swap out the liquor for wine, is this something new? What kind of wine was offered? Thanks!
You can trade your entire mini-bar (booze, soft drinks and water) for one bottle of wine. There are four choices that cost around $32 plus gratuity. Not a good exchange in my mind as you can exchange the entire mini-bar for 2 coffee cards that cost $29 plus gratuity for each coffee card or $58 plus gratuity total.

Well, I didn't know we had upgraded towels until I sailed with my brother. My brother checked in but didn't have any towels so he asked Stewart and was waiting. In the meantime he came and borrowed one of ours. When he returned it THEN I saw the difference. Ours were plush and fluffy, his were not. Who knew? :D

Most of the stuff the OP mentioned I don't use anyway so it was probably there just ignored by me. It really sounds like Stewart didn't realize they were Elite when he did the cabin.

Wow....what's the chance of that?? Their cabin person's name was Stewart

That was nice of Stewart to get them the towels ;)

You can trade your entire mini-bar (booze, soft drinks and water) for one bottle of wine. There are four choices that cost around $32 plus gratuity. Not a good exchange in my mind as you can exchange the entire mini-bar for 2 coffee cards that cost $29 plus gratuity for each coffee card or $58 plus gratuity total.

I never knew you could exchange the mini bar for two coffee cards! Do you just do this through your room steward? I'm not much of a drinker so would much prefer the coffee cards, although my husband might not agree! ;)

I never knew you could exchange the mini bar for two coffee cards! Do you just do this through your room steward? I'm not much of a drinker so would much prefer the coffee cards, although my husband might not agree! ;)
You actually contact Room Service, not your Steward. Room Service sets up your mini-bar.

We usually exchange set up 1 for 1 with mostly bottles of still water. We keep a couple of sodas, the whiskey and the vodka.

We keep the vodka because at our family thanksgiving we make a penne a la vodka, and we're hoping to save enough of them so that we can bring them and not have to buy a bottle and throw half of it out.

I wonder if we can change out half the setup for one coffee card.

And I've never seen a sewing kit.

We always trade for the two Coffee Cards as it is the far better deal. We are do not drink spirits or soft drinks so it is either a trade for wine or the Coffee Cards and the Coffee Cards win out.

Jennie

We always have the nice fluffy towels (generally book a mini-suite) but never saw a sewing kit or q-tips until last month on the Ruby (had a suite)

We traded our mini bar for equal bottles of soda and water, didn't think it was worth all that stuff for one crap bottle of Kendall Jackson! We already had coffee cards so bottle for bottle of water/soda was the best deal. Room service took care of it within ten minutes of us calling.

Like Putterdude said, ask and you shall receive. No one is perfect so things do get forgotten, but they are there to please us so a polite request is all it takes. :D

[quote name='Astro Flyer']I put the Elite minibar info from the Captain's Circle FAQs in a PDF with the standard setup & exchange options.

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=271055&d=1368407263[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this! I'm thrilled to find out about switching to coffee cards.

[quote name='cruise&travelgirl']I usually switch out some of the drinks in the mini bar but have just done this through my room steward.[/QUOTE]
I eliminate the 'middleman' (cabin steward) by calling room service directly for minibar exchanges & wine glasses. I feel the stewards are already so busy during turnover day that I call room service directly instead of having them call for me. :)
[quote name='cruise&travelgirl']Thanks for posting this! I'm thrilled to find out about switching to coffee cards.[/QUOTE]
It's good to have options although the standard minibar & coffee cards have the greatest value. However for those who don't want these items they can get a bottle of wine or eight 1.5L bottles of water. It may not be cost effective but on the Royal there's the option to use coffee card punches for gelato.

[quote name='Shogun']Hi All

Antsp bought two light jackets a buoy and 30m of floating rope today,

do you think I will need to bring them with me on my next cruise,

Never seen up graded towels, some ships have had new fluffy ones others

have been a bit worn,

As to bits and bobs on the Royal we had all the bits in our cabin

including lip balm.

Other stuff was in little tubes.

yours Shogun[/QUOTE]

Shogun

Is it lip balm or a stick of suntan 'lotion'? Have to say our cruise last week was our first as Elite and we had everything we should have - should we have packed the little shell dish in our luggage ;) ?

[quote name='Astro Flyer']I eliminate the 'middleman' (cabin steward) by calling room service directly for minibar exchanges & wine glasses. I feel the stewards are already so busy during turnover day that I call room service directly instead of having them call for me. :)[/QUOTE]It isn't the steward's job and with 18+ cabins, they don't have spare time to do someone else's job. We call Room Service, it is their job, and they are usually there in 15-30 minutes with the changes. Last cruise we accepted an upsell from a mini to a full suite. Changed out one setup for 10 Heineken and 10 waters and got two coffee cards for DW and DD for the other set-up. Everyone was happy :)

[quote name='cdngrl']I've only gotten the sewing kit once and the slippers once. gel eye mask once also. and never all together on the same ship. i never use their cotton balls, q-tips.[/quote]

We got all these things plus extra fluffy towels when we sailed in a full suite. (Loved the slippers).

I just checked the Elite Perks list on the Princess website and it does list "upgraded bathroom amenities." Here's the quote from the website: [I]"Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests." [/I] It is not specific as to what they are (maybe so they can change them at will??), but Upgraded Towels is not listed as a perk.

[quote name='IECalCruiser']No UKP. As you said, you can swap the entire mini-bar for I believe 8 large 1.5 liter water bottles or one bottle of wine or two coffee cards.[/quote]

You can also exchange the minibar setup for soda pop and/or 16oz. bottles of water on a one-to-one basis (get 20 of them). We've done this before.

Archived