Assistance in Ft Lauderdale

summersigh

DH can't walk long distances, and surely not up a long gangway. He'll do fine once aboard (elevators and flat surfaces and seats if needed :))
We sail from Ft Lauderdale on the Westerdam.
Do I call HAL ahead of time to make arrangements or wait until we arrive the day of the cruise? :confused:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Make your arrangements for wheelchair assistance in advance. It still won't work too smoothly in Ft. Lauderdale, but you will be better off having your name on the list before you get there. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]You will need to find someone in charge outside, then they will get someone with a wheelchair. Last time I did this in that port, the ship stewards were not allowed beyond the check-in area, so there had to be two wheelchairs and two pushers per assisted passenger. The transition at the check-in counter is where everything fell apart. And they were expecting me! :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Good luck. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Our TA makes arrangements for me to have wheelchair assistance to get on the ship on embarkation day and to get off the ship on disembarkation day.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Have you made arrangements for your DH to get on and off the ship? The ship will not let you use their wheelchairs for the ports -- they are for emergencies only.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Check into Care Vacations if you need to rent a wheelchair or a scooter. I have used them and like them.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thank you Ruth & Kruizers .... I knew I could count on ya'll :)

Per what was said .... I'll get my TA to go ahead and make the arrangements for embarkation and disembarkation before we go and will look for the person in charge when we arrive at the port.
I think we'll be ok in the ports as most times we can take the elevator down and back up from the low deck where the gangplank or tenders normally are. (our ports are San Juan, Grand Turk, Phillipsburg and Half Moon Cay). He does OK on flat surfaces like piers as long as he can stroll at a slow speed.:rolleyes::)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Don't know where you want to go in San Juan -- but it is hilly.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]You might consider renting a walk/rollator -- that is what I rent.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Great for the ship and ashore.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived