Transfering from LHR to SouthHampton, England

If you're staying in a hotel in London or at Heathrow, there is a shared shuttle service from hotels only at the airport or central London for around £59 per person. Their website is silver-fleet dot co dot UK.

Were sailing on the Independence May 31st, 2014. Flying into Heathrow and R/C wants to charge $200.00 p/p anyone have any suggestions or sailing on the same to share a Limo?

Hi

here is a link to some useful information http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

Hope this helps

Damon

Were sailing on the Independence May 31st, 2014. Flying into Heathrow and R/C wants to charge $200.00 p/p anyone have any suggestions or sailing on the same to share a Limo?

Wow, $200. is pretty high, even if it's round trip.

We took the National Express Coach service from the Central Bus Station at Heathrow. Very inexpensive. I made the reservations online.

We have also used Woodford Chauffeurs. A group of us traveled together, so it was very reasonable. Cheryl Finch is very nice to work with and we emailed back and forth.

Wow' date=' $200. is pretty high, even if it's round trip.

We took the National Express Coach service from the Central Bus Station at Heathrow. Very inexpensive. I made the reservations online.

We have also used Woodford Chauffeurs. A group of us traveled together, so it was very reasonable. Cheryl Finch is very nice to work with and we emailed back and forth.[/quote']

Yes, RCI were looking for over $100 per person one-way on our cruise out of Southampton.:D

Highly amusing, though perhaps not for those who used them. :rolleyes:

Princess & others charge somewhere around $60, I've no idea why RCI's price is way above the others cos they're not usually out of line on other prices.

Private transfers cost £75 to £95 for the car with folk like www.smithsforairports.com or www.westquaycars.com

Both are highly recommended by CC members.

I've also seen Woodford frequently recommended, but their prices may be higher

Or National Express at around £16 per person.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

But

1. Book from Southampton coach station - not the cruise terminal option on their website, which is only for Fred Olsen cruises, & selecting that option will lead you down a blind, or incorrect, alley.

2. Yes, some folk from overseas have experienced difficulties having their credit cards accepted.

The coach service is excellent, don't be dissuaded by their poor admin.

The train is another option, but quite expensive at around £36 per person & the trip includes an included bus transfer from the nearest mainline station to the airport so it's no quicker & less convenient.

Add up to £10 for a taxi from pier to Southampton coach or rail station.

JB :)

We are bringing the Indy back to Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of weeks and also needed the same transportation - except from Heathrow to Southampton. We ended up booking with National Express, but did have major problems doing so. As someone stated in an earlier post, they would not accept our Visa or our Am Exp. Finally ended up 'borrowing' our sons MC and the reservation went through.

Good luck!

On John Bull's advice we used the National Coach from LHR to Southampton and found it worked very well for us. Its drawbacks are that its schedule may not mesh well with your arrival time and you do have to take a cab from the bus station to the pier or hotel...not a big deal, less than 10 GBP as I recall, and in the end you will save a lot of money.

On John Bull's advice we used the National Coach from LHR to Southampton and found it worked very well for us. Its drawbacks are that its schedule may not mesh well with your arrival time and you do have to take a cab from the bus station to the pier or hotel...not a big deal, less than 10 GBP as I recall, and in the end you will save a lot of money.

Actually, we walked from the bus stop in Southhampton to our hotel and then from our hotel to the pier. It wasn't very far and we had our luggage.

Unless, things have changed since we were there, it seemed more like a bus stop, than a station. I just remember a small ticket building.

If, you stay at one of the hotels, further out, you would probably have to take a cab but we stayed at the Etap. I think it's called Ibis Budget now. A no frills hotel but clean and inexpensive.

Edited by Little Buddy's Mom

Actually' date=' we walked from the bus stop in Southhampton to our hotel and then from our hotel to the pier. It wasn't actually very far and we had our luggage.

Unless, things have changed since we were there, it seemed more like a bus stop, than a station. I just remember a small ticket building.

If, you stay at one of the hotels, further out, you would probably have to take a cab but we stayed at the Etap. I think it's called Itap Budget now. A no frills hotel but clean and inexpensive.[/quote']

Actually, I suppose it depends where you are staying, the amount of luggage you have and your mobility. We were staying at the Holiday Inn and our ship was at the Mayflower Terminal, both of which we found to far to walk to.

Just back from a WBTA on the QM2. Took Aquacars (aquacars.co.uk) from Heathrow to the docks in Southampton. Excellent service. Cost GBP75. Well worth it...

Just back from a WBTA on the QM2. Took Aquacars (aquacars.co.uk) from Heathrow to the docks in Southampton. Excellent service. Cost GBP75. Well worth it...

Aquacars is a name we don't see on CC, but they're the biggest taxi operators in Portsmouth (just along the coast from Southampton). Same city as www.smithsforairports.com who are frequently recommended on this board.

That was a good price :)

But then operators at the Southampton end usually are better value than those at the London/airport end. And generally a better & more personal service too.

Thanks for the post, another name to go in the memory bank.

But I'm still trying to figure the WB bit of "WBTA" :confused: ;)

An Enquiry Form on their web-site.

I hate enquiry forms, never too sure that the technology works, & no copy for the sender.:rolleyes:

But also a number of direct e-mail addresses on the website.

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/Contact.cshtml

Tried several of the e-mail addresses from the website--no reply. The general enquiry form came back as blocked not recognized address! Very strange...

I've just phoned them.

A sunday evening isn't the best time to talk to anyone who matters, but no problems known to the guy I spoke to, though I've asked him to pass the message down the line.

Sure the problem's not your end?

The admin office staff work Monday to Friday, & the Airport Manager is Den Hart. His e-mail address on that website.

Big storm, biggest for a couple of decades, expected tonight/tomorrow morning so probably don't expect an answer tomorrow. (Crown Princess is comfortably tucked-up in her Southampton berth, sailing delayed til the storm passes)

Or contact Smiths or West Quay, details earlier in this thread.

Edited by John Bull

I've just phoned them.

A sunday evening isn't the best time to talk to anyone who matters, but no problems known to the guy I spoke to, though I've asked him to pass the message down the line.

Sure the problem's not your end?

The admin office staff work Monday to Friday, & the Airport Manager is Den Hart. His e-mail address on that website.

Big storm, biggest for a couple of decades, expected tonight/tomorrow morning so probably don't expect an answer tomorrow. (Crown Princess is comfortably tucked-up in her Southampton berth, sailing delayed til the storm passes)

Or contact Smiths or West Quay, details earlier in this thread.

Tanks JB :) I'll try again….

Sounds like a nasty storm --keep safe!

• 2 weeks later...
Info on London Toolkits about the Naational bus to Southampton from Heathrow states that luggage is limited to a weight if 44 pounds per bag. Have those of you who used this bus found this to be true? Do they weigh your bag?

That is indeed in the Regulations. That's two x 44lb bags per passenger, plus hand luggage.

I think that two x 44lbs as opposed to one x 88lbs is merely in the Regs to absolve Nat Express of liability if the driver does his back in by lifting an overweight case. He's chosen to lift it when Nat Express hasn't obliged him to. But the drivers generally aren't wimps, nor are they jobsworths.

I've not heard of those Regs being strictly enforced as on airplanes, but bags that are clearly way over might be problematic.

Total weight of luggage per passenger is mainly about the legal maximum gross weight of the vehicle - driver's licence is at stake if he overloads. But you'd be unlucky to be on a full bus with everyone carrying luggage - not every passenger gets on at the airport.

Nat Express may charge for overweight cases, but the sum is small - around £10? - not the huge excesses charged by the airlines.

No personal experience - I'm as interested as you whether anyone has fallen foul.