Can You Upgrade or Downgrade Your Cabin Type After Final Payment

jresn02

Let's Say you currently are booked in a Balcony and now want to switch to an interior room that is bigger can you do this?

Can you Upgrade to a Balcony Room from an Interior after final payment has been made? Do you just pay the difference? What if the price is LESS for the upgraded room than what you paid for your Interior?

Thanks!

I am sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe a more experienced HAL cruiser knows............

I would assume they would probably balk at refunding any money to you. They might be able to switch your room depending on availability, though.

Why don't you call HAL (or your TA) as ask them direct?

Usually they will let you upgrade if you pay more but I was actually turned down once. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you downgrade because they would not want to return money.

Thanks for answering the OP's question lorekauf, I figured someone with "more stars" than me would know. I hate it when a person's question goes unanswered, so I felt I needed to give him/her some kind of response till someone else could chime in..:)

Thanks for answering the OP's question lorekauf, I figured someone with "more stars" than me would know. I hate it when a person's question goes unanswered, so I felt I needed to give him/her some kind of response till someone else could chime in..:)

I'm just happy when I actually know something:D. Sometimes there are some really different questions. Sometimes I can't even figure out what people are asking:o.

W

Let's Say you currently are booked in a Balcony and now want to switch to an interior room that is bigger can you do this?

Can you Upgrade to a Balcony Room from an Interior after final payment has been made? Do you just pay the difference? What if the price is LESS for the upgraded room than what you paid for your Interior?

Thanks!

1- I would say from common sense you can downgrade before final payment by canceling your current balcony and rebook an interior. After final payment is made, that would be not possible without losing $

2- upgrade after final. Have you marked your reservation upgrade or not ? If yes then depending on availability and how your particular cruise is selling, you might get upgraded but NOT refunded if price is lower. If you marked no upgrade then you have to cancel and LOSE your money and rebook with new money.

3- best is to call your HAL rep or TA as every cruise have its own circumstances.

Hope the HAL gurus here agree.

I just went from what I have read here and there but I'm no guru. Good luck :)

W

1- I would say from common sense you can downgrade before final payment by canceling your current balcony and rebook an interior. After final payment is made, that would be not possible without losing $

2- upgrade after final. Have you marked your reservation upgrade or not ? If yes then depending on availability and how your particular cruise is selling, you might get upgraded but NOT refunded if price is lower. If you marked no upgrade then you have to cancel and LOSE your money and rebook with new money.

3- best is to call your HAL rep or TA as every cruise have its own circumstances.

Hope the HAL gurus here agree.

I just went from what I have read here and there but I'm no guru. Good luck :)

I bolded your paragraph because I don't believe this is correct..Where did you get this info from? Many of us have had our bookings marked "do not upgrade" & have received a reduction in price in the form of an OBC when the price increases..What difference does it make if you go from an interior to a balcony, which may be less & receive an OBC?That to me is a refund..

Only Hal can answer the OP's question, but I believe it's safe to say that it would be harder to downgrade than up grade..

Betty

After final payment you cannot downgrade to a lower category for less money and usually all the fees involved you would not save any money. You can downgrade if you find a cabin you like better, however, HAL will not refund you the difference. You can always upgrade because it is more money for HAL.

On our last cruise (RCI, not HAl) better suites became available at a good price after final payment. However, it was still more than we had paid for our category by several hundred. I persistently attempted to switch, pay the higher fare and get the larger suite. It was a no-go, and I still do not understand why they would not do it. They said it was new bookings only, and we we were welcome to cancel, lose our fare and rebook!

We had a TA, and I pestered him. He tried several times. I still do not understand, it would have been a win-win. They get more money, and we get a better cabin and feel their goodwill. And it wasn't like that category was selling like hot cakes, it was still available on line right up to sailing.

in conclusion, you only know if you try, and sometimes dealing with cruise lines after final payment is too much like dealing with the Virginia Division Motor Vehicles!

I booked an ocean-view stateroom and made my final payment in September. This week, I noticed that the prices had dropped and now the verandah stateroom (VH Guar) was the same price I paid for the ocean-view stateroom. I called HAL and they upgraded me to the verandah stateroom at no add'l cost.

Archived