Nieuw Amsterdam vs Eurodam?

smilesntravels

I have sailed on the Westerdam, The Eurodam and Independence of the Seas and am booked on the NA in February.

You do seem like you really had your heart set on sailing a mega-ship and, if this is the case then I think you will be let down a bit with any HA ship. HA is more laid back and relaxing with more of a focus on food and service IMHO. No skating rinks, zip lines, rock climbing walls, surfing on deck, bumper cars, etc.

I prefer HA and relaxing as I work hard at home and go on my vacations to relax and enjoy the break. I had a great time on the Independence but I was on her for 16 days so there was plenty of time to relax and still see/do it all. In 7-days on a mega-ship you are going to be pretty busy trying to fit everything in and trying everything out.

However, if you are still considering HA then I wouldn't eliminate the Westerdam because she is older. I thought she was a great ship and would happily sail her again any time! She has been well kept and looks great.

I personally would give a second thought to sailing on a ship the week before she goes into dry- or wet - dock. I have done that before and the last two days of the cruise the crew was also packing things up all over the place and some bars, etc. were closed as they had already been emptied out. And many of the crew also have to pack as they are going to different ships so on the cruise I was on, they didn't offer as many activities for the last couple of days. They also ran out of some things toward the end of the cruise as well since they knew they weren't sailing the next week so they had ordered a limited supply. Just simple things like the after dinner mints, pineapple, etc. It wasn't anything major at all and I still had a great cruise - and it was another line, but I would not book another cruise knowing the ship was not sailing the next week again if I could avoid it.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

I personally would give a second thought to sailing on a ship the week before she goes into dry- or wet - dock. I have done that before and the last two days of the cruise the crew was also packing things up all over the place and some bars, etc. were closed as they had already been emptied out. And many of the crew also have to pack as they are going to different ships so on the cruise I was on, they didn't offer as many activities for the last couple of days. They also ran out of some things toward the end of the cruise as well since they knew they weren't sailing the next week so they had ordered a limited supply. Just simple things like the after dinner mints, pineapple, etc. It wasn't anything major at all and I still had a great cruise - and it was another line, but I would not book another cruise knowing the ship was not sailing the next week again if I could avoid it.

Thanks for sharing this. :)

It's helpful to set expectations if you choose to book a ship headed to dry or wet dock (assuming of course you are aware of the upcoming wet/dry dock).

It's helpful to set expectations if you choose to book a ship headed to dry or wet dock (assuming of course you are aware of the upcoming wet/dry dock).
We ran into this once on the Zuiderdam. It seemed like there many small repairs needed which were being let slide until the dry dock the next week.

HAL Signature Class ships are much more elegant and much more relaxing and comfortable.

The Oasis class are unique cruise ships with epmphasis on mass entertainment and sports. HAL Signature class ships excel in timeless values: classy sea travel.

Both classes deliver the best products curently available in the Caribbean.

These products are very different but perfectly complement each other for a 14 days B2B cruise.

They are two sides of the Golden Coin of Caribbean Cruises:

euro9g.jpg

If you are going to introduce yourself to Holland America Line - try one of the Signature ships, not less.

They are derivatives of the original Vista class (Westerdam).

They are not small at all.

Their size is right enought to offer all the amenities you would expect on a classy ship, and not too large so that you don't lose the feel of being on a ship at sea.

BTW none of existing ships (except the QM2) offer as much open deck space as HAL Signature class.:)

Cruisetrail- thanks so much for the comparison and info. I love the gold coins! Really, the most open deck space on Signature class ships? That's great. I saw your links to the Allure a while back when I thought we were going on that ship. Your input was helpful in deciding :).

Really, the most open deck space on Signature class ships? That's great.
There's a large area on top of the Silk Den/Tamarind that gets little use because there is no elevator that goes there, only stairs. There's also a smaller area atop the Crow's Nest, but all HAL ships have that.

I have sailed on the Westerdam, The Eurodam and Independence of the Seas and am booked on the NA in February.

You do seem like you really had your heart set on sailing a mega-ship and, if this is the case then I think you will be let down a bit with any HA ship. HA is more laid back and relaxing with more of a focus on food and service IMHO. No skating rinks, zip lines, rock climbing walls, surfing on deck, bumper cars, etc.

I prefer HA and relaxing as I work hard at home and go on my vacations to relax and enjoy the break. I had a great time on the Independence but I was on her for 16 days so there was plenty of time to relax and still see/do it all. In 7-days on a mega-ship you are going to be pretty busy trying to fit everything in and trying everything out.

However, if you are still considering HA then I wouldn't eliminate the Westerdam because she is older. I thought she was a great ship and would happily sail her again any time! She has been well kept and looks great.

Thank you for your input. It's funny, I was set on trying a newer mega ship but I am also open to a HAL cruise. I read a lot about them a while ago, and they appeal to me as well. I know what you mean about relaxing and you're right about trying to fit everything in, on a mega ship! For my third cruise I don't want to do another Carnival one. Nothing was wrong with the last one, but so want to try another line! I'm not really interested in NCL and if I can't go to Labadee, then I can wait to do an RCI one. Celebrity, we can try another time.

Anyway, so many people said not to worry about the upcoming dry dock on the Eurodam. Most likely it won't be that noticeable, but it is still in the back of my mind. That's why I thought maybe do the Westerdam as we can only take a cruise the first week of Dec. Also, the roll call doesn't look super exciting. Maybe not a big deal, and me just being picky :).

I'm surprised this thread is still going, lol! Thanks everyone for the tips. And as I write this, Fox News just mentioned a death on a Carnival ship.... how sad :eek:

Thank you for your input. It's funny, I was set on trying a newer mega ship but I am also open to a HAL cruise. I read a lot about them a while ago, and they appeal to me as well. I know what you mean about relaxing and you're right about trying to fit everything in, on a mega ship! For my third cruise I don't want to do another Carnival one. Nothing was wrong with the last one, but so want to try another line! I'm not really interested in NCL and if I can't go to Labadee, then I can wait to do an RCI one. Celebrity, we can try another time.

Anyway, so many people said not to worry about the upcoming dry dock on the Eurodam. Most likely it won't be that noticeable, but it is still in the back of my mind. That's why I thought maybe do the Westerdam as we can only take a cruise the first week of Dec. Also, the roll call doesn't look super exciting. Maybe not a big deal, and me just being picky :).

I'm surprised this thread is still going, lol! Thanks everyone for the tips. And as I write this, Fox News just mentioned a death on a Carnival ship.... how sad :eek:

We'll be sailing in feb after wet dock. We're actually happy for that as we expect to see an almost brand new ship with steam cleaned carpet and it guarantees that things are in top shape. Wet dock according to gurus here is a good thing.

Really, the most open deck space on Signature class ships?

That may or may not be correct when comparing HAL's Signature class ships to other cruiselines' ships.

But I would not say the same if I were comparing HAL's Signature class ships to other classes of HAL ships. HAL ships all have more than ample open deck space.

We sailed on the Eurodam in 2011 in a neptune suite and will never sail on her again. The whole cruise was one disappointment after another that was the result of poor service and very poor food. (creme caramel that had ice crystals in it, for example).

We are sailing on the NA on Dec 01 and are hoping for a better experience. We have changed our expectations, booked a balcony instead of a neptune suite and will be spending less time in the main dining room. We have also not ordered any special extras (like a birthday cake delivered to our suite on our last cruise which HAL did not deliver on) in the hopes that if we scale back our expectations that HAL will deliver once again.

We are keeping our fingers crossed as we still remember fondly our very first cruise with HAL and know that if they could deliver it once, they can deliver it again.

Well now that a lot of you have come along for the ride while I try to pick my first HAL cruise, I still can't decide :confused:. I'm so happy that we're going on a cruise, but now that I was about to pick the Eurodam for Dec 1st I see that it's having a charter/theme cruise. It's not the entire ship, but I wonder how many people will be there for that. It's a rockin' to the cure with tunes from the 50's and 60's, plus the lead singer for Journey. None of this is bad, but I just wanted a cruise with no theme or huge groups! Plus the dry-dock thing right after cruise is in the back of my mind. Cruisetrail said there is a difference between Signature class and Vista class ships, while some others said there isn't much of a difference. A friend of mine that is a TA told me there isn't much difference either. So we could do Westerdam. But, I just saw pics of some of their balcony cabins and they don't look quite as nice as the Eurodam cabins, plus their tvs (in pics) are regular, while Eurodams are flat screen.

Also, this could be in another thread: I heard that people use TA's for the convenience and for the perks they can throw in. I don't mind making the calls and booking it directly through the cruise line. The only thing my friend has offered in the form of a perk is a small OBC. My previous cruises, I booked through a website that specializes in 'inline discounts' since I was a flight attendant for United. I thought it would be doing my friend a favor by booking through her, and me a little favor for getting a perk or two and now I'm undecided on that too.

Just thinking out loud... I'll make a decision soon :rolleyes:. Thank you all for the opinions.

Cruisetrail said there is a difference between Signature class and Vista class ships, while some others said there isn't much of a difference. A friend of mine that is a TA told me there isn't much difference either. So we could do Westerdam. But, I just saw pics of some of their balcony cabins and they don't look quite as nice as the Eurodam cabins, plus their tvs (in pics) are regular, while Eurodams are flat screen.

One important detail: I not only said but showed.

So you can see it.

The major difference is related to larger pool deck and outstanding sun deck space on Signature ships and also Tamarind restaurant & Silk Den lounge. Some like retreat cabanas on a separate deck 10.

Also a newer ship is a plus.

If it's important to you - there will be no comparison.

If you are just fine with the rest of the options - the Westerdam could be an option.

I would not take a theme cruise. The last cruise before drydock is not the best time either.

So I would look at the Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern caribbean of course):)

So you can see it.

The major difference is related to larger pool deck and outstanding sun deck space on Signature ships and also Tamarind restaurant & Silk Den lounge. Some like retreat cabanas on a separate deck 10.

If you are just fine with the rest of the options - the Westerdam could be an option.

I would not take a theme cruise. The last cruise before drydock is not the best time either.

I second cruisetrail and her/ his expert opinion. To me we booked on the zuiderdam first for 11 days Panama Canal transit but I found the price to be the same with 14 days on Edam east/ west carribean ( collectors cruise) so for a newer ship( which is very important to us) and a great itinerary with more days and same cost, we couldn't resist but book the Edam. I have noticed that the Edam will go Ocho rios , JA in the carribean while the NA would not and instead goes to Cozumel ( which we don't prefer over Ocho rios ). Many people reported here that the food & ambiance is a little better than the NA. So we chose the Edam hands down. Decision has made itself. Thank you CC.

Just a small correction: a charter always takes over the whole ship and handles all bookings, you cannot book it througj HAL. There seems to be a big group on that cruise but it isn't a charter.

I said charter, or something like that. Since obviously I'm able to book, they're not taking the whole ship. It's some sort of theme group and I was wondering if anyone would have an idea how big the group is, not the specific wording. Because if it is a huge, giant group then I don't want to go. Thanks for your previous comment from a few days ago.

Cruisetrail- I loved your previous post with the gold coins and all. Yes you did show the differences, and thanks for doing that. I didn't quite get the comparison though, when I looked at the links you provided. I don't know why :o. Nieuw Amsterdam is a good possibility, but they do Western on the week we go. Soooooo, ho hum and hopefully we'll decide.

So you can see it.

I thought retreat cabanas on deck # 11 ?

I second cruisetrail and her/ his expert opinion. To me we booked on the zuiderdam first for 11 days Panama Canal transit but I found the price to be the same with 14 days on Edam east/ west carribean ( collectors cruise) so for a newer ship( which is very important to us) and a great itinerary with more days and same cost, we couldn't resist but book the Edam. I have noticed that the Edam will go Ocho rios , JA in the carribean while the NA would not and instead goes to Cozumel ( which we don't prefer over Ocho rios ). Many people reported here that the food & ambiance is a little better than the NA. So we chose the Edam hands down. Decision has made itself. Thank you CC.

You second his/her opinion how? That I should look in to NA, or that he/she wouldn't take a cruise where there is a theme group on it. Yes, lucky you for taking the 14 night cruise shortly after that wet dock without a theme group on it!! So now I would take the NA, not wanting the itinerary but it's nicer/newer than Westerdam, isn't going into dry dock and doesn't have a theme group on it? Wait, I think it actually does. When looking at the list for theme groups on HAL cruises, there is one for Dec. 1 NA- communication for first responders (I think). That wouldn't bother me, just the itinerary... ugh, lol.

You second his/her opinion how? That I should look in to NA, or that he/she wouldn't take a cruise where there is a theme group on it. Yes, lucky you for taking the 14 night cruise shortly after that wet dock without a theme group on it!! So now I would take the NA, not wanting the itinerary but it's nicer/newer than Westerdam, isn't going into dry dock and doesn't have a theme group on it? Wait, I think it actually does. When looking at the list for theme groups on HAL cruises, there is one for Dec. 1 NA- communication for first responders (I think). That wouldn't bother me, just the itinerary... ugh, lol.

Yes. I wouldn't book in a theme cruise personally as I heard that they have time blocks in certain bars on the ship so regular cruisers can't go. It is just a headache that we don't need. I like cruisetrail diagrams and she/ he put so much time in dissecting those ships. A very useful thread posted by them and I think its a sticky now that show lots photos of different balconies and other rooms. Very helpful tool for cabin selection. If you're flexible and can choose the Edam, that would be a sound choice ship & itinerary wise. If not then the NA seems your second choice minus theme cruises and of course stay away from the week pre dry or wet dock on both IMO. Good luck with your selection. We're excited to cruise w HAL.

Hi everyone, it's been too long since my last cruise and have talked my fiance into going on a cruise this December. I've done a lot of traveling, but only two cruises so far (with lots of research on ships and these boards). I was dying to go to Labadee on one of RCI's newer ships, but the prices and dates aren't working out.

So, last year I was looking at HAL ships and thought the Nieuw Amsterdam would be a good one to go on. Then, after reading a lot of reviews it seems like a lot of people prefer the Eurodam. If any of you have been on either, or both could you please share your opinions or thoughts? I would consider the ship built right before Eurodam, but don't want to do one much older/smaller. We're trying to book a 7 night Caribbean one for early this Dec. I know the ages of other passengers might be older, but we're friendly with everyone and don't need a total party ship.

Thanks a bunch!:o

Hi - There has been a lot of conversation specific to the two HAL Ships. You stated how much you wanted to experience Labadee and mentioned what might be a slight bit of concern about older crowds...

Having sailed on both HAL & RCI - here are a couple of my thoughts:

Labadee has a lot more to offer than Half Moon Cay

The shows are grander on RCI

There are more food choices on RCI

If you like the pool experience, HAL is better and the pools are less crowded (an age thing?)

A HAL cruise for me is much more relaxing that RCI.

I am sure some of the kind CC posters here will comment on the large number of people on the Allure and Oasis, but the ships handle the crowds very well.

Either HAL or RCI will provide you a quality vacation.

It's nice to have choices!

I love HMC. With only 1 ship in port, it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. To quote a bar sign on the island: "I could stay here forever!"

Labadee is crowded and at times feels like a carnival. I love both HAL and RCI for different reasons. For a private island HMC wins hands down in my opinion.

It is often rated the # 1 cruise line private island by travel sites and magazines!

So now I would take the NA, not wanting the itinerary but it's nicer/newer than Westerdam, isn't going into dry dock and doesn't have a theme group on it?

Remember, the notion that the Signature class ships are somehow superior to the Vista (or any other) class is just that---an opinion, based on a person's priorities.

Others hold the opinion that the Signature class is the least desirable of the HAL ships, based on their particular priorities.

Each person needs to decide for themselves what works best for them.

Just a small correction: a charter always takes over the whole ship and handles all bookings, you cannot book it througj HAL. There seems to be a big group on that cruise but it isn't a charter.

Do you know how to find out if a certain cruise is being used partly for a theme cruise, music cruise, etc ? Is there a website for that ?

Do you know how to find out if a certain cruise is being used partly for a theme cruise, music cruise, etc ? Is there a website for that ?

You can follow the thread that is updated and posted periodically right here on this board. It was updated recently; scroll down until you spot it.

You can Google your ship and date to see if any groups are listed.

Note: not all groups are large, or will impact negatively on a cruise. There are many medical in-service training groups who meet during sea days. No one is likely to notice them if they don't belong to the group.

Well now that a lot of you have come along for the ride while I try to pick my first HAL cruise, I still can't decide :confused:. I'm so happy that we're going on a cruise, but now that I was about to pick the Eurodam for Dec 1st I see that it's having a charter/theme cruise. It's not the entire ship, but I wonder how many people will be there for that. It's a rockin' to the cure with tunes from the 50's and 60's, plus the lead singer for Journey. None of this is bad, but I just wanted a cruise with no theme or huge groups! Plus the dry-dock thing right after cruise is in the back of my mind. Cruisetrail said there is a difference between Signature class and Vista class ships, while some others said there isn't much of a difference. A friend of mine that is a TA told me there isn't much difference either. So we could do Westerdam. But, I just saw pics of some of their balcony cabins and they don't look quite as nice as the Eurodam cabins, plus their tvs (in pics) are regular, while Eurodams are flat screen.

Also, this could be in another thread: I heard that people use TA's for the convenience and for the perks they can throw in. I don't mind making the calls and booking it directly through the cruise line. The only thing my friend has offered in the form of a perk is a small OBC. My previous cruises, I booked through a website that specializes in 'inline discounts' since I was a flight attendant for United. I thought it would be doing my friend a favor by booking through her, and me a little favor for getting a perk or two and now I'm undecided on that too.

Just thinking out loud... I'll make a decision soon :rolleyes:. Thank you all for the opinions.

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May of 2012. There was a group of insurance agents and families (perhaps 200 total). We noticed public spaces like the Silk Den Lounge reserved for this group as well as large sections of the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind on some nights.

We had no problem dining in Pinnacle and Tamarind, though we had to be more flexible with our times. Otherwise this group was mostly un-noticeable.

Hi - There has been a lot of conversation specific to the two HAL Ships. You stated how much you wanted to experience Labadee and mentioned what might be a slight bit of concern about older crowds...

Having sailed on both HAL & RCI - here are a couple of my thoughts:

Labadee has a lot more to offer than Half Moon Cay

The shows are grander on RCI

There are more food choices on RCI

If you like the pool experience, HAL is better and the pools are less crowded (an age thing?)

A HAL cruise for me is much more relaxing that RCI.

I am sure some of the kind CC posters here will comment on the large number of people on the Allure and Oasis, but the ships handle the crowds very well.

Either HAL or RCI will provide you a quality vacation.

It's nice to have choices!

Hi NW Guy- I pretty much agree with everything you said even though I haven't even been on RCI or HAL yet ;). I wanted to experience a large newer mega ship like Allure. But I also think a less crowded/noisy pool deck and a more relaxing cruise is nice too. I've heard good things about HAL so that's why they're one of my main choices. I'don't have a concern about older crowds. I just mentioned it because it's sometimes mentioned on the boards. I 'don't' think people should stay away from a ship because of that. With everyone, crew included, be nice and polite to them and hopefully they will be the same way.

My dilemma is which HAL ship to take. We've got our vacation for the week of Dec. 1st, plus a few days before that to include Thanksgiving. Allure and Independence of the Seas with a balcony are just a bit too high. Fiance isn't cheap, but doesn't want to splurge too much since this is his first cruise (doesn't know what he's missing) and also because of the way the economy and govt. are going right now :confused: .Thanks for the input!

Archived