Royal princess: the cruise from hell

ibfern

Just had a thought.

I was under the impression that under normal circumstances donated blood is screened for communicable diseases.

When you get blood on a ship is it just "be grateful for small favors and hope for the best?"

I often wondered this myself. My only thought was that they ask for "blood donors who have their donation cards with them". Maybe the thought that if they are regular blood donors, they have gone through plenty of screening. Pure guess here.

Just had a thought.

I was under the impression that under normal circumstances donated blood is screened for communicable diseases.

When you get blood on a ship is it just "be grateful for small favors and hope for the best?"

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, I know here in California you have to fill out a form stating anywhere you have traveled outside of the U.S.

Hi

and I definitely won't be taking the world cruise I have booked for 2015 because I know the cost will dictate my expectations and that is my greatest learning on this cruise.

Amelia

Amelia,

There is a world of difference between the Royal and the R class Paciific Princess for a world cruise. We love the small ships. The Royal is just too big.

The whole atmosphere on the small ships is much more friendly than the big ships

Linda

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, I know here in California you have to fill out a form stating anywhere you have traveled outside of the U.S.

Read about someone from my community who donated on board. They required a blood donor card, interviewed the donors, did forms and they tested on board for HEP C, HIV etc. The cruiselines would be very diligent about this -imagine the liability!

Amelia,

There is a world of difference between the Royal and the R class Paciific Princess for a world cruise. We love the small ships. The Royal is just too big.

The whole atmosphere on the small ships is much more friendly than the big ships

Linda

I agree, we loved the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess. It didn't even feel like sailing Princess! But, we're on the Royal next January (in one of those aft balconies :eek:) Gotta try different ships to change things up a bit ;)

I often wondered this myself. My only thought was that they ask for "blood donors who have their donation cards with them". Maybe the thought that if they are regular blood donors, they have gone through plenty of screening. Pure guess here.

Coral..you remember my guy Randy? Well he was one pint short of 21 Gallons when he left us.

They asked for donors with cards because they have stricter donation times than your local Blood Bank. Randy used to donate every 8 weeks but Princess wouldn't accept donors who donated within 12 weeks.

Coral..you remember my guy Randy? Well he was one pint short of 21 Gallons when he left us.

They asked for donors with cards because they have stricter donation times than your local Blood Bank. Randy used to donate every 8 weeks but Princess wouldn't accept donors who donated within 12 weeks.

Almost 21 gallons - amazing! I can't donate right now but am grateful for those who do as they save lives daily!

Thanks for providing insight - I knew they wanted those with cards but didn't know their guidelines, etc...

That's precisely why I carry my donor card with me now on cruises. I'd be happy to help anyone in need.

I was wondering the same and pondered if it was actually infusions or perhaps dialysis (which would be a transfusion of a different sort). It's possible the person did a procedure in the room that went wrong...

Why would they be giving transfusions and treating a very ill passenger in their cabin instead of in the medical center? Also is blood usually carried on a cruise ship... I was under the impression that if blood was needed onboard a call went out to passengers and/or staff for volunteer donors?

That's precisely why I carry my donor card with me now on cruises. I'd be happy to help anyone in need.

Every time Randy went down to donate, there were always 12 to 20 donors lined up. Makes me feel that I'm safe on a ship if there should be an emergency.

Keep that card with you at all times. You just never know.:)

Every time Randy went down to donate, there were always 12 to 20 donors lined up. Makes me feel that I'm safe on a ship if there should be an emergency.

Keep that card with you at all times. You just never know.:)

We also ran into a situation where a call was made out for donors. DH is Mr. Universal so he went down. But they needed donor cards before they would touch him and we didn't bring them with us. We too now carry that card at all times!

I also agree that something wrong went on in that room. Someone with a medical condition, or fell or whatever, it happened. I do not believe that a transfusion took place in the room. And maybe in a hurry the person was whisked down to the medical center to be tended to.

And I also believe that a mistake was made by housekeeping. Maybe they were told to not disturb the room until it could be noted as to what had happened. And maybe those on duty were not aware of this and so they placed Amelia in the room, not knowing that the room had not been cleaned.

So, we have a lot of maybes, could haves, should have, and what ifs. It happened, it is over, we all need to move on. Hopefully Princess will read this thread and investigate the problems that occurred and learn from it so that it doesn't happen again.

My main concern now is that the person who was ill it now getting the treatment needed and they will be okay.

I wish you all well and hope that us card carrying donors never have the need to pull them out of our wallets.

I think the reason they are so strict regarding donor cards is because it is a sure way of knowing that the donor's blood has been tested and should be safe. It also has the date of the last donation. Our Blood Services allows donation every 8 weeks but Princess will only take donors who haven't donated within 12 weeks. They will make exceptions in a dire emergency.

Just had a thought.

They did make an announcement for people with a specific type of blood and a donal card, thus screening is done in advance. Some folks at our dining table were the correct blood type and with donar cards, they raced to the medical center when the call went out.

I don't know how or even if the red substance I saw in my cabin was blood, but after getting that bill (the pax was already off the ship I was told) I realized that it might have been blood. In any event, ther room was not clean, there was hair and red stuff all over and it gave me the creeps. I wish the room was cleaned spick and span when I came in at midnight!

I've never had problems with the toilets like on this cruise, I wonder if the pipes are smaller and the suction is reduced.

We also ran into a situation where a call was made out for donors. DH is Mr. Universal so he went down. But they needed donor cards before they would touch him and we didn't bring them with us. We too now carry that card at all times!

I also agree that something wrong went on in that room. Someone with a medical condition, or fell or whatever, it happened. I do not believe that a transfusion took place in the room. And maybe in a hurry the person was whisked down to the medical center to be tended to.

And I also believe that a mistake was made by housekeeping. Maybe they were told to not disturb the room until it could be noted as to what had happened. And maybe those on duty were not aware of this and so they placed Amelia in the room, not knowing that the room had not been cleaned.

So, we have a lot of maybes, could haves, should have, and what ifs. It happened, it is over, we all need to move on. Hopefully Princess will read this thread and investigate the problems that occurred and learn from it so that it doesn't happen again.

My main concern now is that the person who was ill it now getting the treatment needed and they will be okay.

I wish you all well and hope that us card carrying donors never have the need to pull them out of our wallets.

I love your explanation of what might have happened in my room, I never thought of that! I think I am too close to the experience to see other possibilities, and I really appreciate your perspective. Thanks...

They did make an announcement for people with a specific type of blood and a donal card, thus screening is done in advance. Some folks at our dining table were the correct blood type and with donar cards, they raced to the medical center when the call went out.

I don't know how or even if the red substance I saw in my cabin was blood, but after getting that bill (the pax was already off the ship I was told) I realized that it might have been blood. In any event, ther room was not clean, there was hair and red stuff all over and it gave me the creeps. I wish the room was cleaned spick and span when I came in at midnight!

I've never had problems with the toilets like on this cruise, I wonder if the pipes are smaller and the suction is reduced.

My wife donated blood on the Royal in response to the call and got a bottle of wine from Princess. She had her donor card and it took 30 minutes to screen her. She got a full report on her blood test.

My wife donated blood on the Royal in response to the call and got a bottle of wine from Princess. She had her donor card and it took 30 minutes to screen her. She got a full report on her blood test.

That is great! I am going to get a donor card as soon as I get home.

Amelia

Keep in mind if a person on Warfin or Coumidin falls, they can bleed too freely. I had a friend bleed to death after he fell and bumped/ gashed his head. And my mother had a brain hemmorage after falling while on Coumidin. She died shortly afterward. I am not familiar with this incident, but it could have happened here as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cruisers,

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I figure this is the day to tell all of you how my problems and issues on the Royal were resolved. My Travel Agent could not help me in any way since the cruise was over.

When I returned from the 30 day cruise I immediately responded to the email survey and checked a box that indicated I wanted to be contacted by Princess, after giving them a full low down on my experiences--both positive and negative. Within 24 hours somebody contacted me. I recounted the issues I experienced, from the soot problems to the broken baggage issues, all in detail. I'll spare you the note (more like a book) I wrote, and tell you I covered every issue I had on the cruise in detail.

I am in the process of submitting my insurance claims so I can't comment on this aspect but I expect to be treated fair and compensated for those things damaged and/or lost. Collecting the insurance stuff is a giant PITA, I can't find receipts and don't know how this will bode on what I get back.

A few days after our conversation, the same Princess rep called me again and offered to refund the difference between the deluxe balcony I paid for and the balcony I ended up in--this amounted to about $330 dollars per person--although I still have not seen it taken off my credit card. This was offered to me on the ship as well, but again Its been over a month and Its still not off my credit card. Curiously, my TA told me that some people got a lot more money refunded than others and in her opinion I did not get very much! For me this is a no-brainer, I call it the "travel oh well" and don't expect to dwell on should of, could of, would of. I'll be happy with the reimbursement as soon as it is posted to my card!

They also offered us $350 pp future cruise credit, which was applied to a small 7 day cruise we are taking in February. Nice, this chopped the cruise cost in half. I was impressed that I did not have to chase anybody down, Princess was proactive and on top of it in handling my issues.

I learned a lot from this cruise. My expectations are best managed when I don't spend a fortune, I will never buy the more expensive balconies on any ship again because for me this is a set-up to disappointment. Good lesson for me to learn! I also learned to NOT open other peoples mail when it comes to my room by accident, since it will have info I shouldn't be privy to and this info will drive me mad! :D

To the gentleman who told me to "take a midol" God bless you for thinking I was young enough to still be needing midol! I was very complimented (even though it was removed)...And to all my great CC friends thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, and knowing that I strive to be fair when I say things.

Amelia

Oh, Amelia, just love your last paragraph. I can't stop smiling.

Seriously, though, I am glad Princess responded to you within 24 hours after your feedback. And so glad to see from your Live that you did make the best of it, and had a great cruise regardless. Thanks so much for coming back for an update. You have a wonderful attitude!

Oh, Amelia, just love your last paragraph. I can't stop smiling.

Seriously, though, I am glad Princess responded to you within 24 hours after your feedback. And so glad to see from your Live that you did make the best of it, and had a great cruise regardless. Thanks so much for coming back for an update. You have a wonderful attitude!

Thanks, I think it is most important to laugh at oneself! Happy Back Friday...A

Amelia, I have just read through your whole thread and have so enjoyed your attitude. I think you must be a delightful person to travel with and many could learn from your attitude. So glad things seem to be working out to a inclusion your are satisfied with. I hope your credit shows up soon.

Thanks, attitude is something I continuously work on, because its best to make lemonade out of lemons in all cases!

One last thing. The $350 cruise credit per person was applied to a Mex Riv cruise that we are taking in Feb, reducing it to a very low price! This could have been problematic for my travel agent, who discounts my price by 10% but since this cruise was already quite inexpensive and she had not been able to discount it anyway it worked out OK.

So everything does even out in the end, thanks to Jerry Seinfield for implanting this notion in my head!

;)