Avalon in April - hotel?

sanibel

We're tentatively booking the Amsterdam to Basel cruise on Avalon in April, 2014. We sailed with Uniworld Paris to Normandy last April.

It looks like most of the companies are fairly equal, any thoughts? This choice was based on ports. We were very happy with Uniworld.

We like to arrive at least a day ahead because we're tired after the long flight from Texas.

We'd appreciate hearing from any who've done the Avalon Amsterdam to Basel cruise. In mid-April do we stand a chance of catching the tulips in full bloom?

We're thinking of the Movenpick for that first night. Any thoughts and what is the best way to book? It looks to be about $251 US dollars?

We're using a TA but like to hear from CC members!

Thanks,

We are taking our first river cruise on the Avalon Visionary on April 12, 2014, AMS to Basel. We are hoping to catch the tulips in bloom which is dependant on the weather. This year they bloomed later than usual so we have our fingers crossed that next year they will be beautiful by mid-April.

From researching where to stay in AMS pre-cruise the Movenpick looks to be a good location for a one night stay before the cruise as it is very close to the dock. We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise so chose a location more toward the middle of town.

We have a group booking if you would like to joins us, email JoKet at aol for info.

We did our first river cruise with Avalon in July, Basel to Amsterdam

It was faultless, we enjoyed every second of it and did not want to get off. Have already booked Pargue to Budapest with them for July 2014

You will have a wonderful time

Re tulips. It really depends how warm or cold spring will be. In general most tulips bloom best in the last week April and first week of May. But there have been springs when they bloomed earlier or later.

However if a visit to Keukenhof is planned, there is a big glasshouse filled with tulips and other flowers. So you will be fine.

Any hotel near Centraal Station will be fine, that is the area the rivercruise ships dock.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Amsterdam to Basel on Avalon in May 2010. Too late for tulips for our cruise - hope you get to see some.

The cruise was wonderful, lots to see and we met some lovely people on the ship (boat?).

Unfortunately, we arrived in Amsterdam the morning of the cruise, so I can't give you any advice on hotels.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 months later...
We are taking our first river cruise on the Avalon Visionary on April 12, 2014, AMS to Basel. .

Hey, Joy. My bride and I will be on the same cruise. Look forward to meeting you.

Ken and Karin Thompson

Bellville TX

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ken and Karin,

We're glad to see more Texans joining us!

The Roll Call for the cruise is active and we're gotten lots of good ideas. Looks like a nice group! Won't be long now!

sarah and bob

Austin, Texas

• 2 weeks later...
We did Amsterdam to Basel on Avalon in May 2010. Too late for tulips for our cruise - hope you get to see some.

The cruise was wonderful, lots to see and we met some lovely people on the ship (boat?).

Unfortunately, we arrived in Amsterdam the morning of the cruise, so I can't give you any advice on hotels.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi, I'm doing my first river cruise in May, 2014 on the Luminary--Vienna to Bucharest. How did you find the weather in May? Cool? Warm? What thickness jacket suited the weather? Can't decide what I should pack.

Thanks,

Flo