Cheap as Chips !

ToadOfToadHall

Whitemarsh - how were you able to come up with the "74" figure? If you can't disclose the information, can you find out how the May 9th sailing is doing? I really want to do that one because of the 10th aniversary celebrations and sort of feel the offer I have right now is going to be as good as it gets -eg: airfare thru Cunard from NYC to Heathrow is $309 - I have paid a lot more in the past. I would normally wait as I think this lst TA of the year is a hard sell, but US website shows some cabin categories sold out so this one may sell thru without too much of a problem - don't want to pay more than I have to - don't want to miss out. Guess that's most everyone's problem. Hard to pay a lot when you see low transatlantic fares the rest of the year to include the 1/3/14 sailing that dropped so dramatically stateside yesterday. - I enjoy your posts - pictures when you are onboard - hope you will continue. Thanks

I just made it up, sorry. Unless anyone on here has access to Polar or asks their travel agent, we're all none the wiser. 74 sounded like a reasonable number, so I went with it.

Here's the link to Polar. I've never tried trying to create a dummy TA registration but it's worth a shot.

Good luck with the May 9th sailing, I hope you get a great deal. And thanks for the compliment on the live reports.

OK - THANKS - No problem...........think I am going to go ahead today and pay the entire amount due to lock in the airfare - forget about pricing and just start looking forward to the trip!

It sounds like a good deal, and the anticipation is always fun. I hope you have a wonderful voyage.

I have a "cheap fare" related question for non-NAm based folks.

Currently in N America the 2 upcoming QM2 transatlantic crossings are pricing Q7's about USD$2k less than Britannia Club. P2's are also priced significantly below Britannia Club. So basically, one can save 40% if one is willing to upgrade to the grills. (P2-$2097 AA-$3499 pp)

I was curious as to whether this is the case on the UK or other world sites. Does anyone have any idea as to the rationale here? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

KB

I just made it up, sorry. Unless anyone on here has access to Polar or asks their travel agent, we're all none the wiser. 74 sounded like a reasonable number, so I went with it.

Here's the link to Polar. I've never tried trying to create a dummy TA registration but it's worth a shot.

Good luck with the May 9th sailing, I hope you get a great deal. And thanks for the compliment on the live reports.

I thought you that was real !

But there again I have see Phantom of the Opera !

They're both sheltered balconies. It just has to do with the location. Both are lower decks, one is more midship, the other is more forward/aft.

Thanks. Categories BB and BD are familiar to me, but BB3 and BD3 are new to me. BTW, Cat BB includes some cabins on Deck 8. -S.

I just hope that everyone who was able to book a last minute bargain has a great time. But soon something has to slip or be cut back. The laws of basic economics cannot be ignored forever.
It is a strange situation but what is the option?

The first thing that sold out weeks or even months ago was the high end full World Cruise cabins so could they restrict the number of berths available for sectors and increase the number of cabins for the full World Cruise?

I note that not just the Queen Elizabeth has completely sold out certain grades of cabin for the full circumnavigation. P&O have achieved the same thing and all that ship has left are the cheapest of berths so can we consider upgrading the style of cabin? I have no idea but selling off these berths so cheaply might be interpreted as insulting to those that have paid the full price??? Please note I have paid the full price and am more than happy with what I have, what I have paid for and the price I have paid..

The first thing that sold out weeks or even months ago was the high end full World Cruise cabins so could they restrict the number of berths available for sectors and increase the number of cabins for the full World Cruise?

I note that not just the Queen Elizabeth has completely sold out certain grades of cabin for the full circumnavigation. P&O have achieved the same thing and all that ship has left are the cheapest of berths so can we consider upgrading the style of cabin? I have no idea but selling off these berths so cheaply might be interpreted as insulting to those that have paid the full price??? Please note I have paid the full price and am more than happy with what I have, what I have paid for and the price I have paid..

It may be worth a call to Cunard. Maybe it is different if you have just paid the deposit or paid in full - always worth the call.

Trevor

Having booked on the first day of sale, I can confirm that in the category we book, and the sectors booked, Cunard DO restrict the number of cabins available for World cruise sectors, on the first day of sale at any rate.

We too pay the full fare and have no problem with cabins being sold off 'cheaply'. Better a cabin earns some money for Cunard than none at all.

I think its important to remember that some of the very cheap fares will encourage new guests to try Cunard. I booked my first Cunard Voyage on QM2 to Dubai earlier this year - it was fantastic and I have since booked 2 further voyages.

It was an advert in a Sunday paper with a 'Bargain Fare' that first attracted me to book (direct with Cunard) and I have since booked direct on their website. I always book an inside and then upgrade when I feel the price is right.

In the long term future I would definitely consider booking a Grills cabin - we run our own business and at the moment the late deals are great. In the future if our business continues to do well, I would consider a Grills cabin.

What I am trying to say (in a round about way!) is that although many people on here seem to think the 'bargain fares' are a bad thing - I think Cunard/Carnival must see that they encourage new guests to try them and these will be returning guests in the future. It certainly worked for me!

I can also see the argument that these 'bargain fares' will reduce the experience (Cunard will cut corners to save money) but that is the way of the world - if they want to fill the ship they have to accept what the 'market' (guests) are willing to pay in a recession.

I think its important to remember that some of the very cheap fares will encourage new guests to try Cunard. I booked my first Cunard Voyage on QM2 to Dubai earlier this year - it was fantastic and I have since booked 2 further voyages.

It was an advert in a Sunday paper with a 'Bargain Fare' that first attracted me to book (direct with Cunard) and I have since booked direct on their website. I always book an inside and then upgrade when I feel the price is right.

Swansea boy, greetings from someone who grew up in the Valleys.

When you say you book an inside and upgrade when the price is right, how does that work? I am presently booked in a guarantee balcony for a three part cruise and was thinking of upgrading to a Grills for at least one part. I take it that you have been able to upgrade to a different cabin by paying the difference in price if it goes down?

Thanks for your information.

Swansea boy, greetings from someone who grew up in the Valleys.

When you say you book an inside and upgrade when the price is right, how does that work? I am presently booked in a guarantee balcony for a three part cruise and was thinking of upgrading to a Grills for at least one part. I take it that you have been able to upgrade to a different cabin by paying the difference in price if it goes down?

Thanks for your information.

Hello!! Yes - we book a Getaway fare for an inside and then closer to the time normally phone Cunard and upgrade to an Oceanview or Balcony. They only charge the difference between the fare we have already paid and the advertised Getaway fare for the upgrade. We like to book an inside to make sure we are 'on the boat' and then phone Cunard close to sail date and just pay the difference.

Insides are back!

This is indeed a magic ship!!!!!!!

I wonder if they vet these 'steerage class' applicants and if they are deemed unsuitable they are shown that plank that is lashed to the back-end? ;)

I wonder if they vet these 'steerage class' applicants and if they are deemed unsuitable they are shown that plank that is lashed to the back-end? ;)

The passengers walking 4 miles into town on port days because they refuse on principle to pay the shuttle charge will soon suffer their punishment.

David.

Perhaps swanseaboy has friends in high places. Here are the terms of a Getaway fare from the Cunard website.

Different terms and conditions apply to these bookings.

For guests on this Getaway promotion, the full fare will be due at the time of booking.

Fares are non-refundable and cancellation charges are 100% from time of booking.

No amendments are permitted once booked. Any amendment to a Getaway booking will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings will be made at the minimum grade within each stateroom category without a stateroom number. Stateroom numbers will be allocated no later than 14 days prior to departure.

Archived