What has changed in the last two years?

Beachdude

Hi All, we are sailing the Royal in three weeks and pretty excited for another cruise. After all it's been a long six months, LOL. However, we have not sailed Princess in couple of years. So what has changed? I heard Princess reduced the number of bottles of wine passengers can carry onboard down to two. Anything else, Wifi, food?

I'm not looking to start a complaint thread or a Royal comments thread, just lists of changes. We have read the reviews of the Royal and understand what to expect of the ship. I'm just curious to general Princess policy changes that we might have enjoyed two years ago.

Thanks ahead and have a great next Princess cruise.

Burt

The production shows are a little shorter...now around 30-35 minutes.

Others can tell you about carrying on the wine...seems as if it is being implemented inconsistently. We sailed on the Royal in Europe and no one said a thing when we carried wine on in the various ports. By the way, we loved the ship!

Hi All, we are sailing the Royal in three weeks and pretty excited for another cruise. After all it's been a long six months, LOL. However, we have not sailed Princess in couple of years. So what has changed? I heard Princess reduced the number of bottles of wine passengers can carry onboard down to two. Anything else, Wifi, food?

I'm not looking to start a complaint thread or a Royal comments thread, just lists of changes. We have read the reviews of the Royal and understand what to expect of the ship. I'm just curious to general Princess policy changes that we might have enjoyed two years ago.

Thanks ahead and have a great next Princess cruise.

Burt

Wine, 1 750ml bot. pp for use in your cabin. Additional bottles have $15 corkage fee and are marked and can be used around the ship. Some bring multiple bottles and if they are charged they pay.

It's reported that the dining venues and selections are very nice. Lots of free eating venues such as the Int'l Cafe, Pastry Shop, Alfredo's Pizza, and a nice selection of surcharge venues such as Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Crab Shop, Fondue, Seafood Bar, any other special dining experiences.

Wine, 1 750ml bot. pp for use in your cabin. Additional bottles have $15 corkage fee and are marked and can be used around the ship. Some bring multiple bottles and if they are charged they pay.

It's reported that the dining venues and selections are very nice. Lots of free eating venues such as the Int'l Cafe, Pastry Shop, Alfredo's Pizza, and a nice selection of surcharge venues such as Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Crab Shop, Fondue, Seafood Bar, any other special dining experiences.

BruceMuzz, a great source of info on this site, has stated indirectly that specialty restaurants on ships don't tend to make the money that cruise lines expect because of the higher prices commanded due to the higher quality food. Perhaps princess has, in some regard, realized this and kept alfredos part of the overall package. There have also been reports that the Golden Princess has begun serving a "carolina" style bbq on deck at night. Both of these foods are relatively cheap to purchase and can be prepared quickly. International Cafe also. I think the realized benefit is a better experience for passengers. Also, this might encourage passengers to buy more alcoholic drinks. The downside of all of this is that Princess has probably begun trying to sell more things on board (depending on itinerary) which can cheapen the experience.

The downside of all of this is that Princess has probably begun trying to sell more things on board (depending on itinerary) which can cheapen the experience.

I have been saying for a few years that cruising (at least Caribbean cruises) might be heading more to buffets with more specialty restaurants because the general crowd today seems to want less of a formal eating experience. More buffets would mean less service staff, while the specialty restaurants could require a more formal attire along with the additional cost. I kind felt like Carnival and Royal Caribbean would be leading the way.

Anyway, we aren't really too concerned with the reviews of the Royal, but I admit our favorite ship is the Caribbean Princess. We do have an aft balcony (uh ooh!) but we aren't the kind of people who let the differences get us down. I'm sure the room will "soot" us fine and we will have a great time.:D

We are, however, scheduled on the Caribbean Princess next April. We have an aft suite (SWEET!) on that ship, which is always fun. Any changes to the suite amenities? I love breakfast on the balcony.

Burt

I have been saying for a few years that cruising (at least Caribbean cruises) might be heading more to buffets with more specialty restaurants because the general crowd today seems to want less of a formal eating experience. More buffets would mean less service staff, while the specialty restaurants could require a more formal attire along with the additional cost. I kind felt like Carnival and Royal Caribbean would be leading the way.

Anyway, we aren't really too concerned with the reviews of the Royal, but I admit our favorite ship is the Caribbean Princess. We do have an aft balcony (uh ooh!) but we aren't the kind of people who let the differences get us down. I'm sure the room will "soot" us fine and we will have a great time.:D

We are, however, scheduled on the Caribbean Princess next April. We have an aft suite (SWEET!) on that ship, which is always fun. Any changes to the suite amenities? I love breakfast on the balcony.

Burt

Perhaps some brands will go this way. I know at least HAL and NCL have gone away from buffets with traditional "lines" to "stations" which tend to make a lot more "congestion" in my opinion. It sounds like the royal is set up this way as well.

I believe Aida cruises is entirely buffet or ala cart

Archived